Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Harley is on the upswing (though supply chain issues may loom)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cipher View Post
    I'm surprised you didn't change your spark plugs and underwear at least once.
    Thank you, Cipher. For eight years I've enjoyed this site without once imagining Trevor's underwear.

I feel like I've just witnessed a homicide. How can I unsee something?
    1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Such a great evening for a ride. Just got back. The bike loves this weather, and so do I.

As for reliability, one has to wonder why BMW was dead last in recent Consumer Reports surveys. That said, I'm sure plenty of Beemer riders have zero problems, but then, maybe even more Harley riders have zero, too. Mine's been a peach, and with the mods, it runs so damned well. If Feuling dyno charts are right, it makes about 90 hp and 80-ish lb ft of torque. No, not monster Beemer power, but absolute joy at any speed I ride at.
      "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
      ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
      1982 CB900f

Comment

The old "leaky unreliable Harley" thing hasn't been a thing in quite a long time.

That said, Harleys are unquestionably the most modified motorcycles on the planet, and there are a lot of crappy parts and hack mechanics out there.

It's not all sunshine and roses. There are plenty of poor experiences; for example Jedz owned an XR1200 for a while and it was a reliability nightmare. Maybe forcing old tech into modern expectations is what leads to a lot of problems.

"Adventure" bikes do a lot more miles on average, often under much tougher conditions, than any other style of motorcycle. How the Pan Americas in the wild hold up over the next year or so of abuse is going to be crucial to the future of the model. Harley's response to any issues is also going to get a lot of scrutiny. This is an all-new model with a lot of high-tech features, which can be both good and bad for reliability.

Harley has always released a large catalog of custom parts with their bikes, and they're doing the same for the PA. BMW doesn't have anything close to this, unless you count the Touratech catalog.

And of course, HD's biggest advantage is the dealer network. There are a LOT more dots on the map than any other make. If they can generally get the dealership experience right (NOT repeating the Buell mistakes), BMW will lose a lot of sales.

I'm not really in this market personally, but I'm watching with great interest.
        1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
        2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
        2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
        Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

There ya have it

No signature

Comment

It is telling that Ryan f9 bought one and loves it.
            ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
            1982 CB900f

Comment

Originally posted by GS1150Pilot View Post
              It is telling that Ryan f9 bought one and loves it.
              Yeah, the "blank canvas" aspect of Harleys, at least the "classic" models is pretty cool. There's a massive aftermarket to support whatever you want to do with it, whether it's a good idea or not. Of course, there's only so far you can take it in some directions.

They're not my cup of tea, personally, but I've spent enough time on enough classic Harleys to understand why they have so much appeal.

Still, the Pan America breaks with much of that. They jumped straight into the deep end of an entirely different pool. It's the start of a completely different era. Can't wait until someone tosses me the key for a bit...
              Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

My Bonneville very much captures that classic motorcycle feel. The 270' Twin fires like a V-twin, it rumbles, it barks, it has personality, joy to ride and also easily captivates you with it's classic look. Still my favorite bike, may not be the "best" but it sure is my favorite. Just an all round better ride than a Sportster IMHO. If the Sportster rode more like the Bonneville, I'd likely still have one.

Pan America, I see potential for the platform. I'm not an ADV motorcycle style rider. My FJ-09 has similar Ergo, geometry and stance as other ADV bikes it's saving grace for me is 17" wheels, good tech, and it's damn good value. I wouldn't be riding a Tracer if I had to pay $15K for one.

Interesting times.
                Jedz Moto
                1980 Suzuki GS1000G
                1988 Honda GL1500-6
                2018 Triumph Bonneville T120-
                2020 Honda Monkey Z125
                2001 Honda Insight - 65MPG
                Originally posted by Hayabuser
                Cool is defined differently by different people... I'm sure the new rider down the block thinks his Ninja 250 is cool and why shouldn't he? Bikes are just cool.

Comment

I wish their electric bike were a bit more along the spectrum of a dual sport and were less expensive, because then I could say that my next new bike would be a Harley.
                  ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
                  1982 CB900f

Comment

Originally posted by GS1150Pilot View Post
                    I wish their electric bike were a bit more along the spectrum of a dual sport and were less expensive, because then I could say that my next new bike would be a Harley.
                    Yeah, I think HD's electric bikes try way too hard to incorporate way too much "heritage" and styling baggage.

That said, they were working with a lot more information on the competition and rider needs and preferences when designing and engineering the Pan America.

No one has yet figured out exactly what "works" for electric motorcycles, other than "cheap" -- there are skrillions of smallish e-bikes selling like hotcakes and zipping around cities all over the planet.

I get the feeling that right now Indian/Brammo, Harley, Zero, and others are mostly making sure they're in position when we get the next great leap in battery tech. Energy density and cost aren't quiiiiiiite where they need to be for mass adoption of full-size electric motorcycles.

Interesting times, interesting times... it's gonna be fascinating to see where we are in 2025 and 2030.
                    Last edited by bwringer; 12-02-2021, 05:30 PM.
                    Eat more venison.

Comment

For sure, and if Harley diversifies the Livewire concept and brings the price back into the realm of sanity, I may yet buy one in four or five years.
                      ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
                      1982 CB900f

Comment

Beautiful bike
                        1983 GS 550 LD
                        2009 BMW K1300s

Comment

Working...
                        X