No announcement yet.

Great old tv

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Many have tried, but in my opinion there's never been anyone even close to Johnny Carson.
    1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Originally posted by Grimly View Post
      Was that Dick van Dyke on the other end of the couch?
      We never really saw much of his domestic output over here.
      Yep, DVD was only part of the Carol Burnett show for a short time.

Here's a fairly complete explanation, or at least one explanation. Supposedly they couldn't figure out what to do with him, or something.

Also:

Like old episodes of Saturday Night Live, Johnny Carson, and others, it's a little surprising how rare the brilliant bits were if you watch complete episodes. People always remember the great stuff from whatever years they discovered SNL, but the truth is that you need to sit through a lot of misses and merely OK bits to get one memorable one. The format is inherently experimental. Not every sketch can be "Bass-O-Matic" or "Chippendales Audition".

1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
      2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
      2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
      Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

I have nothing to contribute but I want to say that I've been enjoying this thread very much. I'm a sucker for nostalgia.
        Ryan

1979 GS850G - currently undergoing a major overhaul
        1986 GSX-R750 - I'm figuring it out

Comment

Fun thread that works because we old farts all watched the same TV shows. There weren't many options--three broadcast channels furnishing all the content for the entire country. Then cable came along. Then video gaming came along. Then the internet came along. Then streaming services came along.

Going into the future I doubt today's programs will be as widely and lovingly remembered. Few people will have watched the same shows.
          Believe in truth. To abandon fact is to abandon freedom.

Nature bats last.

80 GS850G / 2010 Yamaha Majesty / 81 GS850G

Claimed by Hurricane Irma 9/11/2017:
          80 GS850G / 2005 Yamaha Majesty / 83 GS1100E / 2000 BMW R1100RT / 2014 Suzuki DL650

Comment

I just finished watching a Documentary series on CNN about the sitcom...showed ground breaking shows, show where there are rich people, poor people, diversity....reaaly well done...there really was some great sitcoms in the 60s and then of course the 70s...
            No signature

Comment

Originally posted by dpep View Post
              Fun thread that works because we old farts all watched the same TV shows. There weren't many options--three broadcast channels furnishing all the content for the entire country. Then cable came along. Then video gaming came along. Then the internet came along. Then streaming services came along.

Going into the future I doubt today's programs will be as widely and lovingly remembered. Few people will have watched the same shows.
              Exactly. There are quite a few movies and shows that are favorites of mine that I wouldn't have seen the first time (60's&70's) if there had been anything else on at that hour.
              1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Originally posted by trevor View Post
                I just finished watching a Documentary series on CNN about the sitcom...showed ground breaking shows, show where there are rich people, poor people, diversity....reaaly well done...there really was some great sitcoms in the 60s and then of course the 70s...
                The one they did on Latenight was very, very good.
                Bob T. ~~ Play the GSR weekly photo game: Pic of Week Game
                '83 GS1100E ~ '24 Triumph Speed 400 ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '67 HONDA CUB

Comment

Originally posted by Baatfam View Post
                  The one they did on Latenight was very, very good.
                  I recorded that last night and looking forward to watching it. Thanks
                  No signature

Comment

Working...
                  X