Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Just for fun. World's fastest vehicle.................

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just for fun. World's fastest vehicle.................

NASA’s Parker Solar Probe. In 2018, NASA launched the probe from the Earth. After launch, it skimmed the surface of the Sun and used its gravity to reach 330,000 mph.

I wonder what the stopping distance on that thing is. heh eh
    All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Originally posted by earlfor View Post
    NASA’s Parker Solar Probe. In 2018, NASA launched the probe from the Earth. After launch, it skimmed the surface of the Sun and used its gravity to reach 330,000 mph.

I wonder what the stopping distance on that thing is. heh eh
    That could be a good topic for discussion among physicists, but for us lesser folks, I suspect it might have to be calculated in terms of "THEMS"

as in

THEMS THE BRAKES
    "If you scare people enough, they will demand removal of freedom. This is the path to tyranny."
    Elon Musk Jan, 2022

Comment

So many interesting things about that mission.

It flies well within the orbit of Mercury, so you could steer into that to get it stopped. It'd probably plow up a crater quite a few meters deep, so I'm guessing stopping distance at 100m. Most cars using a similar lithobraking method probably take about a meter (measured at the cg in the operating configuration), so the probe's performance looks pretty bad until you rank the stopping distance as a percentage of top speed. The only car that could compare would be Elon Musk's Tesla Roadster, but it no longer has any maneuvering capability, and isn't expected to encounter anything large enough to stop it for a very long long time. If it finds a planet to collide with, it would probably have an atmosphere (either Earth or Mars), so it would probably take a few kilometers of heating after deceleration began. The roadster could conceivably find Earth's Moon, in which case stopping performance would be similar to the probe, but I don't know enough about the mechanics of crater formation to guess which would stop faster.
      Dogma
      --
      O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
      '80 GS850 GLT
      '80 GS1000 GT
      '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

Screenshot_20211128-090825_Chrome.jpg

Comment

Working...
        X