'83 GS650L rescue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

'83 GS650L rescue

Just acquired my 5th GS (most have already been rescued, ridden, and sold), an '83 GS650L that hasn't been ridden since 2002.

The Good
    -----------
    * No missing parts, everything is original, no bastardizations. Tank, seat, side panels all in great shape.
    * No apparent damage or crashes
    * Appears to have been well cared for before it got stuck in a shed for 20 years. All bolts come out easily, axle isn't rusted, inside the RH timing generator casing looks great.
    * Lights and signals work.
    * 12k miles
    * Engine not frozen. Turns easily with lube in the cylinders.

The Unknown
    --------------
    * Tank doesn't appear to have any leaks, pinholes, but I have not yet cleaned it out. There is sludge and maybe some rust, but I've got gallons of Evaporust and know how to use it.
    * Strength of starter motor uncertain.

The Bad, and the Ugly
    ----------
    * As the photos show, it's crusty. Lots of rust, oxidation, hard rubber bits, and peeled paint. Hopefully the rust is just surface rust, especially on the fork tubes. Too bad the shed it was stored in since 2002 wasn't more weatherproof, this one could have been a nice survivor.

The Plan
    ------------
    * As usual, first get the engine running. Then brakes, tires, etc. The front wheel in the pic was pirated off the GS550 since the 650's front was so rotted I couldn't roll it onto the lift.
    * Handlebars will definitely be replaced. The seat will probably get replaced, but it's in very good condition, so we'll see.
    * Not yet sure if I pull the engine to get better paint on the engine and frame. We'll see how ambitious I become.
    * I also have an '81 GS550T, so if the 650 engine is strong and the rust coverable, I may pull some parts from the 550 to improve the 650. First on the list would be headlight & bucket, then maybe the forks & triple tree. Brakes will depend on condition.
    PXL_20211129_112229533.jpg
    Last edited by sacruickshank; 11-29-2021, 09:40 AM.
    Current rides: GS650L, GS550T, GL500, GL1100, Bonnie, Triumph Adventurer, Guzzi California

I can't wait to see the progress on this one. I have a GS650GL and have been working on minor bastardizations. Thanks for posting about it.
    81 GS650GL

Comment

Initial tear down & cleaning progressing normally. here's the obligatory critter nest in the airbox. Unfortunately they also chewed through part of the air filter holder/frame, so I'll have to find a replacement or fab something.
      PXL_20211129_121547155.jpg
      Current rides: GS650L, GS550T, GL500, GL1100, Bonnie, Triumph Adventurer, Guzzi California

Comment

Had one of those nests in a tailpiece that also included the petrified remains of a couple mice.
        Unfortunately the smell had permeated the seat foam and every time it got damp/wet it reeked.
        2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Originally posted by steve murdoch View Post
          Had one of those nests in a tailpiece that also included the petrified remains of a couple mice.
          Unfortunately the smell had permeated the seat foam and every time it got damp/wet it reeked.
          Good point, I haven't checked the exhaust yet. On another project I had acorns shooting out of the exhaust during the first few test starts

Comment

Critter nest completely filled the airbox and made it's way into the carbs. Hopefully it just left dirt and not corrosion in the venturi area of carbs 1 & 4. Will know more after ultrasonic cleaning.

Last edited by sacruickshank; 12-02-2021, 10:45 AM.

Comment

Update:
              After buying backup carbs to replace #1&4 who had immovable slides, the carbs now cleaned, sync'd, and back on the bike. Successful test start yesterday - starts, idles, revs up and comes down, shifts through gears, etc. Next need to clean out tank, check valve clearances, tires, and brakes. Paint will come later, after it's been ridden a bit.

@adamdaz - the carbs are working fine so far, even #1 with the drilled out mixture port. Glad you sent both since it was impossible to free the slides from mine.

Last edited by sacruickshank; 12-29-2021, 09:41 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by sacruickshank View Post
                Update:
                @adamdaz - the carbs are working fine so far, even #1 with the drilled out mixture port. Glad you sent both since it was impossible to free the slides from mine.
                I'm very happy that it worked out for you. Great to know the parts are getting used.

Adam
                81 GS650GL

Comment

Splines on final drive and various related and mating parts looking good. Always a relief

Comment

After a short delay to work on the Goldwing in the background and neighborhood test ride yesterday with aux tank, the 650L project is almost done ... unless I decide to pull the engine for stripping and paint. I'll get a full shot once I put the tank and side panels on later today. I'll ride it for a while with the stock seat to decide if it needs a bench seat.

Attached Files

Comment

here's the "final" shot. Time to insure then real test ride. the engine has plenty of paint flakes and corrosion on the lower cases, TBD if I take it out and try to really clean it up.

Comment

from the other side

Comment

Working...
                        X