uneven burn on plugs--significance?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

uneven burn on plugs--significance?

I've noticed (though haven't recorded a pattern yet) that plugs sometimes show uneven burn on one side vs. the other--example pics included.

Leaking valve causing uneven combustion, perhaps? anything to be much concerned about?
    thanks
    IMG_2276.jpg
    1978 GS 750 E
    1979 XS11 Standard
    1973 CB450

mine do this too.
    always have.
    1983 GS 550 LD
    2009 BMW K1300s

Comment

second pic (other side of plug), as could only insert one in the original post.
      IMG_2275.jpg
      1978 GS 750 E
      1979 XS11 Standard
      1973 CB450

Comment

Originally posted by Forden View Post
        I've noticed (though haven't recorded a pattern yet) that plugs sometimes show uneven burn on one side vs. the other--example pics included.

Leaking valve causing uneven combustion, perhaps? anything to be much concerned about?
        thanks
        [ATTACH=CONFIG]63638[/ATTACH]
        Good point...Seen this before..Are all 4 plugs are doing the same? Looks rich on one side and lean on the other..I blamed it on combustion chamber design..I tried indexing the electrodes w/shims having the open end facing the intake.Like Pro Stock Bikes..Still same results..Curious..Bike run OK ???
        sigpic 82 gs1100ez 1168 Wiseco,Web .348 Cams,Falicon Sprockets,Star Racing Ported Head,1mm o/s Stainless Valves,APE Springs,Bronze Guides,etc.APE Billet Tensioner,36CV Carbs,Stage 3 Dynojet,Plenum w/K&N filter,Trued,Welded,Balanced,Crank w/Katana rods & Billet left end, FBG backcut trans, VHR HD Clutch basket,APE nut,VHR High volume oil pump gears,1150 Oil cooler,V&H Megaphone header w/Competition baffle,Dyna S,Coils,Wires,etc.Other misc.mods.

Comment

Nothing wrong with those plugs .
          It's the colour and amount of soot on the base ring that counts and the position of the heat band on the ground strap.
          The rest is down to flame spread pattern in the combustion chamber.
          Mikuni Viton Choke Plunger Seat Renewal.
          VITON Choke plunger seals .KAWASAKI Z1,Z900,Z650,Z1000,Z1R,SUZUKI GS1000,GSXR,RF | eBay

Air Corrector Jets for Mikuni VM 24, 26 and 28mm carbs .
          https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/254380193...84.m1555.l2649

sigpic

Comment

Plug looks fine.
            sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
            1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
            2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

Working...
            X