metallic tinging coming from motor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

metallic tinging coming from motor

seems to be on the exhaust valve side of the motor on the left side facing forward, it is intermittent as you can hear in the video, i will note my idle is definitely lower than it should be and i dont know if thats what causes the sound but i figured somebody here would have an answer as to what im hearing. the bike will be a bit apart soon as one of my carb bowls that ive been temporarily fixing is leaking bad, so if its something i can get to fairly easily and it should be messed with id like to do it all at once.

Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
    1982 XS650

Do you mean the sewing machine sound? You do know that Suzuki started out as a manufacturer of textile making machines?
    Wile your checking valves check for anything visually amiss and check the cam chain. Mine makes this sort of sound occasionally. BTW

It may even be exacerbated by where you are parked i.e. reflections off a wall etc. making it sound louder on one side.
    1983 GS 550 LD
    2009 BMW K1300s

Comment

Yours doesn't sound very pronounced but good chance it is "cam walk".
      There are many threads about it. Not a huge concern.
      Another example.
      2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

no its not the sowing machine sound the sound is pretty subtle, its easier to notice the sound when you hear it dissapear.

i might sit the bike at a different angle and see if i still hear it at one side but its only ever heard when the bike is idling under its correct idlespeed, the cam walk does sound VERY similar but this is very subtle, and its like a high pitch metallic tinging, like if you took a metal bb and let it bounce on a sheet of metal aluminum. not saying it isnt cam walk i just dont really have a diagnosis of what exactly is happening lol. i should read up on it.
        Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
        1982 XS650

Comment

I couldn't hear it on your video, but I'm old and frequently resort to captions on the TV.

Of course, you'll notice if/when the sound changes. Just don't resort to 'magical' thinking - "If I just open the throttle wide and go as fast as I can, it will disappear." It won't, but you might. Last time I did, I ended up with a broken engine case and flames and hot oil spewing onto my leg. But I was only doing a buck plus ten. Yikes!!
          1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

its mostly throughout the whole video the sound, not the sound of the engine moving, it almost sounds like a very faint cricket lol.

if this helps, the sound is there right off the start of the video, dissapears at 0:02 seconds, and comes back at 0:04 seconds, and so forth.

id say you can hear it the best between 0:14 to 0:16.

very faint tinging sound, i dont hear it at proper idlespeed but it doesnt mean its not there, as far as riding goes i havent noticed anything other than the carbs needing to be properly tuned for the low end speed.
            Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
            1982 XS650

Comment

id say listen from 0:14 to 0:20 and you should be able to hear it if the volume is loud enough.
              Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
              1982 XS650

Comment

All I hear is the rustling of valve gear.
                ---- Dave
                79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
                80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
                79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
                92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

I'd just ride it... These motorcycles make all kinds of funky noises. That's why I wear a helmet. It drowns out the engine noise.

I do have a funky noise story.

I was riding my GS850. I knew I was getting low on gas. I had a few more miles to go to get to a gas station... I was stopped at a red-light and heard a awful rattling sound! It was coming from the right side of the engine, like right under the valve cover. Maybe it broke a valve, camshaft or piston? The engine still made plenty of power. Humm... turned out it was the fuel gadge float arm bouncing on the bottom of the gas tank! I got gas and the noise went away. 😯
                  My Motorcycles:
                  22 Kawasaki Z900 RS (Candy Tone Blue)
                  22 BMW K1600GT (Probably been to a town near you)
                  82 1100e Drag Bike (needs race engine)
                  81 1100e Street Bike (with race engine)
                  79 1000e (all original)
                  82 850g (all original)
                  80 KZ 650F (needs restored)

Comment

Originally posted by timebombprod View Post
                    its mostly throughout the whole video the sound, not the sound of the engine moving, it almost sounds like a very faint cricket lol.

if this helps, the sound is there right off the start of the video, dissapears at 0:02 seconds, and comes back at 0:04 seconds, and so forth.

id say you can hear it the best between 0:14 to 0:16.

very faint tinging sound, i dont hear it at proper idlespeed but it doesnt mean its not there, as far as riding goes i havent noticed anything other than the carbs needing to be properly tuned for the low end speed.
                    Most of us are too old to hear high freq sounds.
                    It drops off fast.
                    Do you mean the knock?
                    Last edited by Cipher; 12-01-2021, 08:37 PM.
                    1983 GS 550 LD
                    2009 BMW K1300s

Comment

Originally posted by Cipher View Post
                      Most of us are too old to hear high freq sounds.
                      It drops off fast.
                      Do you mean the knock?
                      knock? i hope there isnt a knock lol. if its that very faint ticking then i guess so, not the engine just moving its something else
                      Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
                      1982 XS650

Comment

I hear the ticking. It's not cam-walk...It seems to have the rhythm of the valve train but without the slightly harder hitting clatterish(?) component of a loose valve setting...but it might be.

I was going to suggest the tachometer driven gear as an idea though that's not someting I've ever heard it do unless there was a missing tooth on it??
                        Last edited by Gorminrider; 12-05-2021, 12:58 PM.

Comment

While modifying my bike I've been discovering new noises, they were always there but I never noticed them until I began eliminating the louder noises. 99% of the noises comes from things that have come loose over 37 yrs or two parts vibrating against each other, as I tighten things up the normal engine noises are becoming more clear.
                          1979 CBX, AW440 Maico, GS1150EF

Comment

Have you tried to tighten the 10mm bolt on the side of the head?
                            GS1000G '81

Comment

Didn't realize more people replied to this, I haven't tried tightening that bolt on the head.

I didn't think it has anything to do with my tach as it was very clear on the left side of the motor basically where the valve train is, I did have some tight valves when I recently did an adjustment but nothing loosem I haven't noticed any decline in power or how the engine reacts and I never hear the noise at proper idle so I just left it alone. There's some small things I will have to mess with on my bike soon so I will do a check on the tightness of everything and also how the cables are doing.
                              Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
                              1982 XS650

Comment

Working...
                              X