So if your thinking about shipping something

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So if your thinking about shipping something

Got my eyes opened today. Sent a 83 1100 e tank to Texas from Oregon. 13 lb 6.3 oz $94.40, guess I charge more now.

V
    Gustov
    80 GS 1100 LT, 83 1100 G "Scruffy"
    81 GS 1000 G
    79 GS 850 G
    81 GS 850 L
    83 GS 550 ES, 85 GS 550 ES
    80 GS 550 L
    86 450 Rebel, 70CL 70, Yamaha TTR125
    2002 Honda 919
    2004 Ural Gear up

Ground shipping?
    If air then not pricy it is a voluminous item.
    1983 GS 550 LD
    2009 BMW K1300s

Comment

Originally posted by gustovh View Post
      Got my eyes opened today. Sent a 83 1100 e tank to Texas from Oregon. 13 lb 6.3 oz $94.40, guess I charge more now.

V
      Tanks are light in weight, but big in size, plus packaging added., so you pay for the volume./size of the package, not the actual weight.
      "If you scare people enough, they will demand removal of freedom. This is the path to tyranny."
      Elon Musk Jan, 2022

Comment

USPS Priority? UPS is a good bit cheaper for everything other than packages that are very light.
        Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by gustovh View Post

V
          What carrier? USPS? UPS? FedEx?

Yah, I got similar surprize, when I made an offer to a guy on a forum for a bike seat, I offered almost his asking price plus $30 for shipping (so didnt have to have an other go-around, and so he didnt have the shipping place pack it and expect me to pay for that), and he agreed. The 30$ was honestly what I thought it would be from past expereince, but that was a couple years ago.
          Later, when I recieved it, (UPS) I saw the shipping cost was over 70$.
          Last edited by Redman; 11-30-2021, 02:35 PM.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
          GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

I find I buying much less from the US than in the past and shipping costs is the reason. If I can package a number of items together to make cost effective I may still buy from the US otherwise $30 shipping for a $10 item is a no go. I've found shipping from Asia and Europe to be more reasonable.
            1979 CBX, AW440 Maico, GS1150EF

Comment

I've noted shipping costs this past month have doubled overall.
              All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

With inflation and the cost of fuel, it is no small wonder that shipping costs have increased, but I have seen some absolutely exorbinanat pricing on things of late.

I ordered 2 art calendars (standar dimensions but heavier paper) from a friend back in New Brunswick (that's the province, not the city in New Jersey), and it actually cost less to ship the two pieces separately than as one. I forget the actual numbers, but it was something like $10 or $12 more to ship them together...online buying is not the cheap alternative it used to be.

Coming across the border? Forget about it as Canada Post tacks on yet another fee if it sees any part of their distribution system.
                '83 GS650G
                '83 GS550es (didn't like the colours in the 80's, but they've grown on me)

Comment

Yeah, I couldn't find something at the store recently so I bought on line for less than $2. Shipping was almost $6.
                  1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Called them all ended going with USPS, they were $12 less than UPS and forget how much less than FedEx. Yes asked for slow boat shipping, air freight was stupid priced. Have shipped large parts in the past, the price has easily doubled.

We want to replace the brick in our fireplace insert, Canadian made, it would cost more to ship by $100 than the cost of the brick which is quite high as it is. It would cost nearly $1000 so we will find an alternate replacement.

V

V
                    Gustov
                    80 GS 1100 LT, 83 1100 G "Scruffy"
                    81 GS 1000 G
                    79 GS 850 G
                    81 GS 850 L
                    83 GS 550 ES, 85 GS 550 ES
                    80 GS 550 L
                    86 450 Rebel, 70CL 70, Yamaha TTR125
                    2002 Honda 919
                    2004 Ural Gear up

Comment

I recently shipped a similar sized gas tank from a GS550. It was USPS GROUND. It cost about $30. The cost depends on the carrier, the shipping mode (ground, air, express, etc.), the weight, the size of the box -- and how far it has to travel!

While prices have gone up -- as does the price of everything, every year -- some prices have gone up more than others. It pays to shop around, if that is an option for you and your package.

Most websites, like USPS.com, have an easy calculator you can use.
                      sigpic
                      '77 GS550B
                      '78 GS550C

Comment

I found that USPS had the cheapest rates well hidden on their website.
                        ---- Dave
                        79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
                        80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
                        79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
                        92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Working...
                        X