More rear braking problems w the GS 650

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 650Skull View Post
    Wrote a comprehensive answer and the auto save didn't save the info and deleted my answer before i replied when i was looking for some confirming info..................This site has some bad features.........Sorry i can't write it again.

Basically the piston looks to be still in there.
    That's caught me out a couple of times - leaving the page to look something up on another tab, an on return, it's gone. Not even auto-saved as a draft.
    Right now, the content I'm typing has been auto-saved, but has it really.
    ---- Dave
    79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
    80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
    79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
    92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

As BigT mentioned, a grease gun is an effective method of forcing a stuck piston.
      2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

If you want your pics to show up in the forum, on the IBB page, you have to go to the Embed codes (bottom Left) and copy the BBCode-full image, and paste it into your post.

Rich
        1982 GS 750TZ
        2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
        Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

Originally posted by steve murdoch View Post
          As BigT mentioned, a grease gun is an effective method of forcing a stuck piston.
          https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ase+and+piston
          I assume grease a mix of liquids and solids being virtually incompressible is the key
          1983 GS 550 LD
          2009 BMW K1300s

Comment

Originally posted by Rich82GS750TZ View Post
            If you want your pics to show up in the forum, on the IBB page, you have to go to the Embed codes (bottom Left) and copy the BBCode-full image, and paste it into your post.

thank you! I knew there were instructions somewhere.
            Main lady- 2009 Nightster 1200
            Project Lady- 1982 GS650 G

Comment

Originally posted by 650Skull View Post
              Wrote a comprehensive answer and the auto save didn't save the info and deleted my answer before i replied when i was looking for some confirming info..................This site has some bad features.........Sorry i can't write it again.

Basically the piston looks to be still in there.

yes this is an absolute nightmare. I’m considering looking for a new part on eBay. My man is saying we just need to drill it out, but he’s got to be careful since it’s a machined part. Damn braking system! Between the wiring gremlins and this stuck piston, this rebuild is really throwing us some curveballs

Comment

Originally posted by Sarcvicious View Post
                yes this is an absolute nightmare. I’m considering looking for a new part on eBay. My man is saying we just need to drill it out, but he’s got to be careful since it’s a machined part. Damn braking system! Between the wiring gremlins and this stuck piston, this rebuild is really throwing us some curveballs
                Id try the grease especially if your guy is not a machinist.
                Theres a reason heavy equipment uses fluids instead of pneumatics
                I saw one on ebay last night forget the price but getting it machined would likley cost more than a good used one
                1983 GS 550 LD
                2009 BMW K1300s

Comment

I just use the brake itself to pump the pistons out...perhaps you take reverse that and take the caliper off and push the pistons in with a wedge of wood or clamps ..or, hook another Master cylinder up ...

but I see what looks like a piece of ring in there too.
                  Your photo shows all the parts including #2 from the part diagram so How could it be in the cylinder? Are these parts from somewhere else?
                  Last edited by Gorminrider; 01-09-2022, 02:47 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Gorminrider View Post
                    I just use the brake itself to pump the pistons out...perhaps you take reverse that and take the caliper off and push the pistons in with a wedge of wood or clamps ..or, hook another Master cylinder up ...

but I see what looks like a piece of ring in there too.
                    Your photo shows all the parts including #2 from the part diagram so How could it be in the cylinder? Are these parts from somewhere else?

Yes, it’s a rebuild kit w the OEM parts

He drilled out the piston already (he’s a tradesman)…. I’ll try the rebuild kit on this part and if the rear caliper still isn’t engaging w the rebuilt master cylinder, I’ll check out eBay and hope the replacement parts ordered aren’t also seal shut w decades old brake fluid

Comment

Alright I’m back to this post. So we rebuilt the yoke, but the rebuild kit didn’t come with instructions. I posted a picture above with the order I put the different components together. Used a c clamp and vice grip to get the c clip back in, however now the spring isn’t compressing/decompressing. I think the rubber cap on the bottom spring isn’t lined up correctly OR I have the order of the pegs out of order.

But there’s also a third hypothesis that maybe the spring doesn’t compress much until there’s pressure on the line?

any ideas?

Comment

Put the brake lever back on and clamp the MC back on the handlebar. It should move then
                        1978 GS 1000 (since new)
                        1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
                        1978 GS 1000 (parts)
                        1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
                        1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
                        1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
                        2007 DRz 400S
                        1999 ATK 490ES
                        1994 DR 350SES

Comment

This is the rear master cylinder. Same concept? Hook it all back up and pump the break to see if the spring moves?

Comment

Working...
                          X