Front Fork Rebuild- What Items

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Front Fork Rebuild- What Items

I'm pretty much a research nerd before I dwelve into any projects of unfamiliar territory.

Ive always had someone else rebuild the forks on my modern bikes. From my research, ive found that getting new springs (I'm looking at sonic springs 1.00kg/mm) and changing that fork seals are a must for updating the bike. My current fork seals are blown (I could see fluid when someone else was sitting on the bike moving it up and down... which also means oil fork fluid is in there unsurprisingly).

Question- is getting the new springs, new seals and fork oil enough? Someone mentioned Mike XS cartridge emulators. Are those needed?

What else should I be looking to swap. Should I order parts 5-9 from partzilla? (https://www.partzilla.com/catalog/su...50g/front-fork)

Am I missing anything else? Id like to keep the front fender, but theres also mention of tazorri fork brace (which I assume replaces the front fender like fork braces do on harleys)

HALP
    Main lady- 2009 Nightster 1200
    Project Lady- 1982 GS650 G

If the bike is old, I'd change both fork bushings while you're at it. You're already going to be in the forks so they will just slip off and on

Mad
    83 GS750E
    2006 ZX14
    2004 KTM 450 EXC
    2001 Yamaha Big Bear

Comment

As noted, it couldn't hurt to do the bushings. Emulators are a nice addition but its said that just replacing the stock springs is a big improvement.
      I picked up a set of used forks for my bike from a member here with springs and emulators already installed. Its a nice upgrade.

You will also need to get or fabricate a tool to hold the damper rod inside the fork so it doesnt spin while loosening the bolt in the bottom of the fork.
      sigpic
      When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
      -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
      -Rusty old scooter.
      Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
      https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
      https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Originally posted by dorkburger View Post
        As noted, it couldn't hurt to do the bushings. Emulators are a nice addition but its said that just replacing the stock springs is a big improvement.
        I picked up a set of used forks for my bike from a member here with springs and emulators already installed. Its a nice upgrade.

You will also need to get or fabricate a tool to hold the damper rod inside the fork so it doesnt spin while loosening the bolt in the bottom of the fork.

Is the need for a tool different than what would be used on more modern bikes? If thats the case do you know what the tool would be called? If worse comes to worse I can ask my friend who changed my fork tubes on the harley to do the suzuki but if it is a specialized tool that only older bikes need Ill have to figure that out before asking for his help

Comment

Do you know what part numbers those would be on the partzilla diagram? I only see a bushing guide tube (part 5)

Comment

Your bike may be different, but on mine the damper rod had a 12 point 19mm recess in it. I welded a bolt with a 19mm head to a pipe and held it back with a pipe wrench. There should be threads around on the tool with everything from elegant solutions to jamming a wooden broom handle down there.
            sigpic
            When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
            -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
            -Rusty old scooter.
            Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
            https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
            https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

HAHAHAAH. Ok so similar process as changing out the springs in the Harley. Appreciate the response.

Comment

Originally posted by dorkburger View Post
                Your bike may be different, but on mine the damper rod had a 12 point 19mm recess in it. I welded a bolt with a 19mm head to a pipe and held it back with a pipe wrench. There should be threads around on the tool with everything from elegant solutions to jamming a wooden broom handle down there.
                My elegantly precision-cut broom handle handled the job handily.

Rich
                1982 GS 750TZ
                2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
                Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

Its a beauty for sure LOL

Comment

3/4" all thread and 2 nuts locked together at each end works good too.... The MikesXS emulators will drop straight in that fork. They are a bargain compared to Racetech's. Use a straight weight spring with them not a progressive. You can also fit twinpot brakes to that model if you're inclined.
                    1980 GS1000G - Sold
                    1978 GS1000E - Finished!
                    1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
                    1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
                    2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
                    1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
                    2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Can anyone help me determine if these are all the parts I would need for the rebuild, excluding the sonic springs and cartridge emulators?

All of the below parts amount to 162 dollars, unless i get aftermarket gaitors (which I might do cause I like the look of those better than the dust seals). Is there a cheaper way to get these parts, or am I ordering parts that I dont need?

New Fork Bushing Guide 51152-45400 Part 5
                      New Fork Spacer Seal 51168-30B00 Part 6
                      New Fork Oil Seal 51153-19D10 Part 7
                      Ring, Stopper 51156-01A00 (2) Part 9
                      Dust Seal 51571-20520 (2) Part 10
                      New Fork Metal Slide 51121-45400 (2) Part 21
                      link for reference: http://www.adeptpowersports.com/oem-parts/1982-suzuki-gs650g-front-fork-assembly.html

Comment

Shop around. Fill the same cart of parts at partshark.com.
                        Rich
                        1982 GS 750TZ
                        2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
                        Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

Using new bushings, springs, emulators and oil will make a big difference. Ask if there is way to set up the emulators as I believe they are adjustable. I've always had mine done foe me and the emulators made a huge difference.
                          Current Rides: 82 GS1100E, 00 Triumph 955 Speed Triple, 03 Kawasaki ZRX1200, 01 Honda GL1800, '15 Kawasaki 1000 Versys
                          Past Rides: 72 Honda SL-125, Kawasaki KE-175, 77 GS750 with total yosh stage 1 kit, 79 GS1000s, 80 GS1000S, 82 GS750e,82 GS1000S, 84 VF500f, 86 FZR600, 95 Triumph Sprint 900,96 Triumph Sprint, 97 Triumph Sprint, 01 Kawasaki ZRX1200, 07 Triumph Tiger 1050, 01 Yam YFZ250F
                          Work in progress: 78 GS1000, unknown year GS1100ES

Comment

Working...
                          X