Hanging Idle Improves with Mixture Screw- Weird one

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hanging Idle Improves with Mixture Screw- Weird one

Have a weird one. Finished restoring my 81 GS50 and did a start up. Starts and runs without an issue except for a hanging idle. Checked for vacuum leaks and nothing that I can fine. Idles perfectly fine when warm and no choke. Stable and does not rise or fall. When I give it some throttle the RPS will rise and hang. Does not come down unless I rev it a bit more or shut it off.

Check all the obvious things. No vacuum leaks, carbs were cleaned (mechanical and ultrasonic including all jets) and air box is attached and carbs have been sync'd. All stock setup including the exhaust.

Here is the weird thing. I set the bike up with the idle mixture screws 3 turns out. As a last resort I reduced the turns out and got it to rev perfectly at about 1.25 turns. Now, from what I have read stock is about 1 turn so not two worried but it is reacting ass backwards to what should be happening which makes me think there is something else going on. Screwing it in should lean it out the mixture and make my problem worse, not better....No????

When I rebuilt the carbs the screws were missing the washer and orings so those were replaced. They are not stock from what I can tell as even when they are screwed in all the way they are just flush with the top making it impossible for a stock cap to be placed on it.

I have this suspicion that the seal is not very good on the screws. When they are 3 turns out I can wiggle the screw and there is little to know resistance on turning them. I wonder if I am sucking air in through the screws. Will source some new screws just to be sure.

Anyone have an thoughts on what could be happening?
    1980 Honda CB750C fully restored
    1981 Suzuki GS650G restoration in progress
    1982 Kawasaki KZ750 fully restored
    1984 Yamaha XS650 “Bella” fully restored (Sold)
    2009 Kawasaki KLR (Sold)
    2010 Suzuki DL650 VStrom (Daily rider)
    2012 Moto Guzzi Stelvio (Sold)

Did you replace the carb boot O-rings? Spraying junk on the carbs only finds gross leaks, not smaller ones. And if the carb boots are the originals I'd replace them outright because if they are not cracked now they likely will be soon.

And if you use the proper size pilot screw O-rings they will seal properly. No need for those aluminum caps.
    Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
      Did you replace the carb boot O-rings? Spraying junk on the carbs only finds gross leaks, not smaller ones. And if the carb boots are the originals I'd replace them outright because if they are not cracked now they likely will be soon.

And if you use the proper size pilot screw O-rings they will seal properly. No need for those aluminum caps.
      yup. New o rings on the carb boots. They are originals but there were no signs of and cracks. That being said one never really knows but a liberal spaying of carb cleaner did not show any issues.

I am pretty sure I used the right size o ring as there was none in it to compare but checked with one of my other bikes. Unless it is some special size (1mm x 3 mm I believe but not sure). May just order another set of screws just to be sure.
      2009 Kawasaki KLR (Sold)

Comment

Originally posted by canuck1969 View Post
        Have a weird one. Finished restoring my 81 GS50 and did a start up. Starts and runs without an issue except for a hanging idle. Checked for vacuum leaks and nothing that I can fine. Idles perfectly fine when warm and no choke. Stable and does not rise or fall. When I give it some throttle the RPS will rise and hang. Does not come down unless I rev it a bit more or shut it off.

Check all the obvious things. No vacuum leaks, carbs were cleaned (mechanical and ultrasonic including all jets) and air box is attached and carbs have been sync'd. All stock setup including the exhaust.

Here is the weird thing. I set the bike up with the idle mixture screws 3 turns out. As a last resort I reduced the turns out and got it to rev perfectly at about 1.25 turns. Now, from what I have read stock is about 1 turn so not two worried but it is reacting ass backwards to what should be happening which makes me think there is something else going on. Screwing it in should lean it out the mixture and make my problem worse, not better....No????

When I rebuilt the carbs the screws were missing the washer and orings so those were replaced. They are not stock from what I can tell as even when they are screwed in all the way they are just flush with the top making it impossible for a stock cap to be placed on it.

I have this suspicion that the seal is not very good on the screws. When they are 3 turns out I can wiggle the screw and there is little to know resistance on turning them. I wonder if I am sucking air in through the screws. Will source some new screws just to be sure.

Anyone have an thoughts on what could be happening?
        There is a spring that goes in there also

Comment

She is all Done......

Got her running fairly well and tuned and sync'd. Bike is all done and ready for spring.........

2009 Kawasaki KLR (Sold)

Comment

Fabulous sample of this model
            1983 GS 550 LD
            2009 BMW K1300s

Comment

canuck...Hanging idle resolved?? You need to be proud, it seems you've missed nothing, Exceptional looking old GS. What's the gauge on the tach?? Now "my" negatives, I don't like BLACK motorcycles, I think the weird tail section Suzuki put on those 650's are about the fuggliest tail sections ever put on a bike...Great job, Congrats!!!
              1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Yes, VERY nice machine.

BUT, how did you resolve the hanging idle issue?
                Jim, in Central New York State.

1980 GS750E (bought used June,1983)
                1968 CB350 Super Sport (bought new Oct,1968)
                1962 CA77 305 Dream (bought used Feb,1963)

Comment

Put new carb boots on but not even sure that was the issue. Put some new washers and orings on the mixture screws and put some thread sealer on the threads. Also lowered the idle a bit. All that seemed to tame the beast.

The meter on the tach is a volt meter. Put them on all my builds and has saved me every time from being stranded on the break in rides. Some electric problems on these old bike just creep up on you.
                  2009 Kawasaki KLR (Sold)

Comment

Just beautiful! I have the same model, year and color and can only wish mine looked that good! Personally, I like the tail on the 650G a lot. MO better than the boxcar tail on some of the GS's. The coffin taillight on the 650G is a bit hard to look at though.
                    1981 Suzuki GS650G

Comment

👍👍 Double thumbs up! Beautiful looking motorcycle!
                      My Motorcycles:
                      22 Kawasaki Z900 RS (Candy Tone Blue)
                      22 BMW K1600GT (Probably been to a town near you)
                      82 1100e Drag Bike (needs race engine)
                      81 1100e Street Bike (with race engine)
                      79 1000e (all original)
                      82 850g (all original)
                      80 KZ 650F (needs restored)

Comment

Working...
                      X