Family estrangement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
    First cousin marriage wasn't that unusual in those days; there are some in every family tree (I found another on my Dad's Mother's side, just after the Civil War), and it was even seen as a smart way to keep property in the family.
    Indeed, and it was so common in the Western Isles of Scotland that the young men were encouraged to get some fresh blood in by finding mates from other parts, if possible.
    ---- Dave
    79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
    80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
    79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
    92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Yes,Family Estrangement is something I'm very familiar with.I remember all my life I've tried approaching the issue using 'common sense and logic".. The more I tried to 'be the glue' or tried to find ways to reconcile different members of our biological group,the more frustrated I became..

Comment

Family estrangement can sometimes just be a part of maturing. Like a litter of puppies that all find new families and forget their siblings.
        "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
        1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
        1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
        1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

Originally posted by Buffalo Bill View Post
          Family estrangement can sometimes just be a part of maturing. Like a litter of puppies that all find new families and forget their siblings.
          I think I like that analogy. It fits my own circumstances.
          "If you scare people enough, they will demand removal of freedom. This is the path to tyranny."
          Elon Musk Jan, 2022

Comment

Originally posted by Buffalo Bill View Post
            Very true, as we mature and strike out on our own on or with our own new family group those extended family bonds are loosened. Once the common glue of our mother and father are gone holding that extended family together tends to become very fragile, it doesn't take much friction to permanently break the family bonds.

Once we become parents of adults and grandparents we now have our own extended family, our prime focus becomes the well being of our children and grandchildren not our siblings and their children.
            1979 CBX, AW440 Maico, GS1150EF

Comment

Originally posted by wyly View Post
              Very true, as we mature and strike out on our own on or with our own new family group those extended family bonds are loosened. Once the common glue of our mother and father are gone holding that extended family together tends to become very fragile, it doesn't take much friction to permanently break the family bonds.

Once we become parents of adults and grandparents we now have our own extended family, our prime focus becomes the well being of our children and grandchildren not our siblings and their children.
              Right on the money for me..^^
              My sister and I talk probably once or twice a month....we don't have a lot in common...I love and care for her....but her husband of 35 years is a piece of work...anti vax...conspiracy theorist...I live on the other side of the country and this xmas my mom won't be going to my sister's house because he is not vaccinated....my life is way better without immediate family in it....I have my wife and son and a ton of friends. That's good enough for me.
              No signature

Comment

I have to say that I am beyond grateful that my family was so close-knit and that we have all stuck together for each other. I do not think anything could replace that.
                "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
                ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
                1982 CB900f

Comment

Originally posted by GS1150Pilot View Post
                  I have to say that I am beyond grateful that my family was so close-knit and that we have all stuck together for each other. I do not think anything could replace that.
                  That's Excellent,a good example of a functioning family

Comment

Originally posted by GS1150Pilot View Post
                    enjoy every moment of it I think it's more rare than we believed was the case. Growing up I assumed every family had fantastic family xmas, as an adult I see it's not that common.
                    1979 CBX, AW440 Maico, GS1150EF

Comment

Originally posted by wyly View Post
                      enjoy every moment of it I think it's more rare than we believed was the case. Growing up I assumed every family had fantastic family xmas, as an adult I see it's not that common.
                      Yeah, I think we were particularly fortunate in that most of the in-laws also have close families. Add to that that we are still close with cousins in California and aunts and cousins in Hungary, and it feels like family is a castle in a good way.
                      "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
                      ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
                      1982 CB900f

Comment

Working...
                      X