Nylon Spacer for Dyna Coils

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nylon Spacer for Dyna Coils

Would anyone here be able to fabricate the nylon spacers needed for the 3ohm
    coils for the dyna s? Or do you know where I could buy said spacers?
    Main lady- 2009 Nightster 1200
    Project Lady- 1982 GS650 G

You can probably get something that will work from any hardware store.
    The Three Horsemen
    '85 GS1150ES (Current Income Eater)
    '83 GS1100ES
    ‘77 XLCR

"Never ride faster than you can see. Besides, it's all in the reflexes."
    Porkchop Express

Comment

Home Depot... in the drawers next to the metric bolts. Failing that... get some small dia copper or ally pipe, cut it to length put a washer at each end. Failing that... Use a brass nipple. Lots of options here.
      1980 GS1000G - Sold
      1978 GS1000E - Finished!
      1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
      1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
      2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
      1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
      2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Stack of washers, bushings.... lots of options in any hardware store.

I'd definitely use metal spacers -- plastic, even nylon, can crack and squish.

And no, the mounting holes in the cores do not need to be insulated from the frame.
        1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
        2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
        2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
        Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
          Stack of washers, bushings.... lots of options in any hardware store.

I'd definitely use metal spacers -- plastic, even nylon, can crack and squish.

And no, the mounting holes in the cores do not need to be insulated from the frame.

The stock mounting fits the 3ohm coils, including the stock metal mounting. I’m getting very very weak spark & it was my understanding that the metal mounting bolts were creating a ground. Is that assumption off?
          Main lady- 2009 Nightster 1200
          Project Lady- 1982 GS650 G

Comment

Originally posted by Sarcvicious View Post
            The stock mounting fits the 3ohm coils, including the stock metal mounting. I’m getting very very weak spark & it was my understanding that the metal mounting bolts were creating a ground. Is that assumption off?
            Yes! There's no issue using metal mounting posts.
            Grounding in that area is not your problem.
            The usual reason for fitting non conductive spacers to the Dyna coils is the very close proximity of the live terminals to the post in some mounting applications where the terminal can short against the post causing blown fuses etc.
            Also the Dyna coils may need a longer or spaced post to prevent the body touching the frame when bolted down which causes flexing of the metal core and eventual cracking of the outer insulation allowing water ingress and potential early failure of the coil.
            Last edited by zed1015; 12-12-2021, 12:48 PM.
            Mikuni Viton Choke Plunger Seat Renewal.
            VITON Choke plunger seals .KAWASAKI Z1,Z900,Z650,Z1000,Z1R,SUZUKI GS1000,GSXR,RF | eBay

Air Corrector Jets for Mikuni VM 24, 26 and 28mm carbs .
            https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/254380193...84.m1555.l2649

sigpic

Comment

Yep, sometimes it's prudent to put a layer of heat shrink around your spacers near the terminals to make sure you won't accidentally make contact. It's very tight in there.

Weak spark can have several causes, but low voltage at the power wire to the coils (orange or orange/white, IIRC) is probably #1. There's a switch and several connectors along the way, and any corrosion, dirt, looseness, etc. will cause problems. More than about half a volt drop means you'll have trouble lighting the fire while cranking.

Even with everything clean, it can be difficult to get full voltage at the coils, so some folks use a relay to ensure the coils always have plenty of juice.
              1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
              2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
              2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
              Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

When I fitted Dyna 3 Ohms all I needed to do was add a thick washer to the bottom of the stock spacer. When I fitted Accel I remember having to swap the order of washers & spacers that were stock. MOve one from the middle to the top or something.... easy stuff
                1980 GS1000G - Sold
                1978 GS1000E - Finished!
                1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
                1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
                2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
                1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
                2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Working...
                X