Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

can i swap handlebar controls between '81 GS550T and 83 GS650L?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

can i swap handlebar controls between '81 GS550T and 83 GS650L?

As my 650 resurrection continues, I'm considering swapping the handlebar controls between the '81 550T and '83 650L. The 550's controls are in better shape and my end game is to have the 650 be in the best shape possible, even if both bikes end up being frankenbikes.

Before I spend hours examining wiring diagrams and physical connectors, does anyone on the forum know if the controls are plug&play interchangeable? Below is the 550 control
    Attached Files
    Current rides: GS650L, GS550T, GL500, GL1100, Bonnie, Triumph Adventurer, Guzzi California

Originally posted by sacruickshank View Post
    As my 650 resurrection continues, I'm considering swapping the handlebar controls between the '81 550T and '83 650L. The 550's controls are in better shape and my end game is to have the 650 be in the best shape possible, even if both bikes end up being frankenbikes.

Before I spend hours examining wiring diagrams and physical connectors, does anyone on the forum know if the controls are plug&play interchangeable? Below is the 550 control
    and here is the 650 control
    Current rides: GS650L, GS550T, GL500, GL1100, Bonnie, Triumph Adventurer, Guzzi California

Comment

Assuming your 650 doesn't have self cancel signals, it should be possible to use the hand control from the 550 (might need harness connector swap.)
      Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

thanks. Google only returns hits for GS1000L when mentioning self cancelling signals, so I assume not. I'll open the headlight buckets to see if the connectors are the same.

Comment

I've put the switches from a Honda GL500 on a GS650G so I'd guess it'd be easily possible. and I do like the simpler control more than the 650's on my bikes that have it.

....Interesting that your 550 control has a headlight OFF/ON switch. I find them useful. While you're "at it" I'd look into re-enabling it, if it has been disabled.

Comment

Originally posted by Gorminrider View Post
            I've put the switches from a Honda GL500 on a GS650G so I'd guess it'd be easily possible. and I do like the simpler control more than the 650's on my bikes that have it.

....Interesting that your 550 control has a headlight OFF/ON switch. I find them useful. While you're "at it" I'd look into re-enabling it, if it has been disabled.
            I looked in the buckets this afternoon. Doesn't look like an easy swap since the #, color, and maybe the types of connectors are different. Thankfully, both buckets appear to be unmolested (or at least carefully placed back into the original position) over 40+ years of previous ownership. Since the wiring wasn't trashed by a PO, I'll leave it as is rather than attempt the swap.

The biggest bummer of the 650 so far is that it would have been an excellent survivor had it been stored in a garage or basement rather than a shed for the last 20 years. The frame is rusty and the engine has corrosion and damaged paint on the frame, but it's clean below the surface and all the bits are still in place, like the rubber dampeners on the cylinder fin. The tank exterior is very good, except one spot where the clear coat gave way.

Comment

Working...
            X