Best possible relay for coil relay mod?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best possible relay for coil relay mod?

What is the best? Are there any made in Japan relays? The coil relay mod is a Great mod love it but don't love having a poorly made crap chinese relay running my motorcycle. I know I can carry a bag full of them but who in the world would want that.
    Originally posted by tkent02
    That's not a tree, that's a shrubbery. Now get to work on that old dirt bike
    John 3:16

Have to say that the relay "mod" isn't really a mod but a bit of a bodge to disguise poor connections elsewhere in the ignition wiring and kill switch.
    You'll be better off ensuring that all connections of the original wiring are functioning as they should which will make fitting a relay a waste of time , money and would avoid adding an additional potential source of failure.
    Mikuni Viton Choke Plunger Seat Renewal.
    VITON Choke plunger seals .KAWASAKI Z1,Z900,Z650,Z1000,Z1R,SUZUKI GS1000,GSXR,RF | eBay

Air Corrector Jets for Mikuni VM 24, 26 and 28mm carbs .
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/254380193...84.m1555.l2649

sigpic

Comment

you can just use a 4 pin horn relay from oriellys, ive had mine never fail and its been on there for atleast 6 months now,
      Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
      1982 XS650

Comment

Originally posted by zed1015 View Post
        Have to say that the relay "mod" isn't really a mod but a bit of a bodge to disguise poor connections elsewhere in the ignition wiring and kill switch.
        You'll be better off ensuring that all connections of the original wiring are functioning as they should which will make fitting a relay a waste of time , money and would avoid adding an additional potential source of failure.
        Straight facts sir. But refreshing all the grounds and switch and connectors still won't resolve this a lot of times but instead the interior oxidation and deterioration of the wires themselves are definitely what drop the volts over the distances id say, and the relay to get 12v fed from the battery is just an easier route and a new harness isn't always necessary.

Comment

I use Bosch relays when available.
          Which reminds me - I used a few cheapo ones that need to be replaced for peace of mind.
          ---- Dave
          79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
          80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
          79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
          92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

My thoughts exactly. I put the mod on one of my bikes early in my GS career but just hated all the needless wires. Took it off and cleaned the terminals instead.
            Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
              My thoughts exactly. I put the mod on one of my bikes early in my GS career but just hated all the needless wires. Took it off and cleaned the terminals instead.
              Bingo............
              '84 GS750EF (Oct 2015 BOM) '79 GS1000N (June 2007 BOM) My Flickr site http://www.flickr.com/photos/soates50/

Comment

+1
                The relay is sweeping things under the carpet. Sooner or later all the connections will have to be dealt with.
                97 R1100R
                Previous
                80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

Even with everything perfect, you still get some voltage drop, and some folks install a relay anyway. There are a lot of connections along the way.

But yes, you should definitely clean, test, and replace until you have minimal voltage drop, and the bike starts and runs perfectly without a relay. And if you do install a relay, make sure you leave yourself an easy path back to stock if the relay ever fails. Maybe zip-tie a jumper or spare relay somewhere close, or have a plan for which terminals to plug together.

Anyway, to answer the question... these are the finest relays on the planet, Matsu s h i t a/Panasonic:

Eastern Beaver is a guy from the US living in Japan who sources Japanese electrical goodies and ships worldwide.

All the above said, relays are a very mature technology, and so any decent brand like Bosch or Tyco will be fine. Avoid anything with no name or a name you haven't heard of. You definitely want a sealed relay, and pay attention to how its mounted to ensure it's not exposed to a lot of vibration. You also want to make sure you get the wiring 100% correct to ensure you're not trying to trigger the relay with AC or something weird like that (yes, I've actually seen this. The poor relay buzzed fiercely for a while but didn't last long...).

I generally install an accessory relay circuit to power heated grips, phone charger, etc. and for high-amperage draw horns. But it really is best to get the wiring in good shape so you don't need a relay for the bike to run. And some folks, even on modern bikes, install a relay circuit (Eastern Beaver sells kits) for the headlights to get that last .2 volt and make the headlight just a tiny bit brighter, or to work around undersized stock headlight wiring (for example, on the V-Strom, Suzuki grounds both headlights through the same teensy-weensy wire with a teensy-weensy failure-prone connector, and it's a common problem.)
                  1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                  2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                  2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                  Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
                    Even with everything perfect, you still get some voltage drop, and some folks install a relay anyway. There are a lot of connections along the way.

But yes, you should definitely clean, test, and replace until you have minimal voltage drop, and the bike starts and runs perfectly without a relay. And if you do install a relay, make sure you leave yourself an easy path back to stock if the relay ever fails. Maybe zip-tie a jumper or spare relay somewhere close, or have a plan for which terminals to plug together.

Anyway, to answer the question... these are the finest relays on the planet, Matsu s h i t a/Panasonic:

Eastern Beaver is a guy from the US living in Japan who sources Japanese electrical goodies and ships worldwide.

All the above said, relays are a very mature technology, and so any decent brand like Bosch or Tyco will be fine. Avoid anything with no name or a name you haven't heard of. You definitely want a sealed relay, and pay attention to how its mounted to ensure it's not exposed to a lot of vibration. You also want to make sure you get the wiring 100% correct to ensure you're not trying to trigger the relay with AC or something weird like that (yes, I've actually seen this. The poor relay buzzed fiercely for a while but didn't last long...).

I generally install an accessory relay circuit to power heated grips, phone charger, etc. and for high-amperage draw horns. But it really is best to get the wiring in good shape so you don't need a relay for the bike to run. And some folks, even on modern bikes, install a relay circuit (Eastern Beaver sells kits) for the headlights to get that last .2 volt and make the headlight just a tiny bit brighter, or to work around undersized stock headlight wiring (for example, on the V-Strom, Suzuki grounds both headlights through the same teensy-weensy wire with a teensy-weensy failure-prone connector, and it's a common problem.)
                    Thanks for the link to that relay, Brian.

I know there are pros and cons to this mod. After 5k miles I haven't regretted doing it. I do carry a spare relay just in case though. The spare is secured under the side cover near the fuse block.

Here are the lousy stock connectors to the coils. This was contributing to the loos of voltage, but not the only culprit.

(I hate seeing the blue goop I used to seal the new spark plug wires, but it serves it's purpose)
                    Roger

Current rides
                    1983 GS 850G
                    2003 FJR 1300A
                    Gone but not forgotten 1985 Rebel 250, 1991 XT225, 2004 KLR650, 1981 GS850G, 1982 GS1100GL, 2002 DL1000, 2005 KLR650, 2003 KLX400

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer View Post

agreed- exactly my point, even without corrosion the loss through the distance and resistance will definitely net a significant loss from the original power source.

I also don't like "modifying things" so I get where the other guys are coming from.

Thank you so much for posting that link with the Japanese relay's - its beyond wonderful

Comment

i agree, but at the same time cleaning everything doesnt always get you the 12volts the ignition needs unfortunately, i was only able to get up to 10.5v and that is deep cleaning all the connections and replacing any noticeably corroded wires. at first i just wanted to keep it all original because it does just what you say, it just covers up the real problem but i also am glad i did mine just because ive had no issues with a weak voltage since installation.

you can always clean all you can and see if you're able to gain back to the appropriate voltage, i actually had fun seeing voltage getting gained back after doing some good cleanings, but i just was never able to get the full 12 volts i needed.
                        Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
                        1982 XS650

Comment

Just zip tie or tape a spare relay somewhere close by. I've never had one quit despite running one for many thousands of miles on 3 different GS's..... I modified the Skunk recently with a PC-8 fuse box & used a relay to run all the switched circuits. Worked fine.

Eastern Beaver does some very high quality relays but for me I wanted a "bosch" standard format as you can pick those up cheaply in basically any auto store in the world.....

You can also get a 3" length of 14ga wire & put a male spade connector on each end. In a pinch you "hot wire" 30 - 87. Just remember to remove it again right away each time you stop. You basically become a "manual" relay that way... (you do the job the relay does with the jumper wire).
                          1980 GS1000G - Sold
                          1978 GS1000E - Finished!
                          1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
                          1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
                          2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
                          1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
                          2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Originally posted by salty_monk View Post
                            Just zip tie or tape a spare relay somewhere close by. I've never had one quit despite running one for many thousands of miles on 3 different GS's..... I modified the Skunk recently with a PC-8 fuse box & used a relay to run all the switched circuits. Worked fine.

Eastern Beaver does some very high quality relays but for me I wanted a "bosch" standard format as you can pick those up cheaply in basically any auto store in the world.....

You can also get a 3" length of 14ga wire & put a male spade connector on each end. In a pinch you "hot wire" 30 - 87. Just remember to remove it again right away each time you stop. You basically become a "manual" relay that way... (you do the job the relay does with the jumper wire).
                            Excellent ideas an points mate

Comment

There is another issue with the coil relay mod that needs to be pointed out. Yes, giving the coils full voltage will, indeed, make the bike run better. Now that it's running better, you might enjoy riding it more, you might even stay out after dark. Then you will realize that your LIGHTS are not getting full voltage, either. Why not install the headlight relay mod, too? Oh, yeah, there is a third fuse in the panel, might as well install another relay for that one, too.

Or, ... you can install a single relay that will be triggered by the ignition key that will provide full power to the ENTIRE bike. The ignition switch is often the major culprit regarding voltage loss, so if you bypass IT, you won't need relays for all the individual stuff. Unless you add things like grip heaters, outlets for heated clothing, microwave ovens, etc.

Comment

Working...
                              X