Tornado devastation KY/TN 2021

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tornado devastation KY/TN 2021

My power just came up about an hour ago after going out at 11:30 Friday night. By then we knew a devastating EF4 or 5 had hit Mayfield KY. I have not yet seen any of the news coverage but I know the Downtown and areas North were flattened including a Candle Factory with 110 souls inside at the time. There have been at least 40 pulled from the rubble, the last at 3:00 am this morning. That monster storm passes 7-9 miles West of my house on it's 200 plus mile rampage. I drove to Paris Tennessee this morning for ice and batteries and was detoured on the way home .I took these in Northwest Henry County TN. This was not the storm that hit Mayfield but the power is very evident.

IMG_6139 by Scott Marvin, on Flickr

IMG_6141 by Scott Marvin, on Flickr

IMG_6143 by Scott Marvin, on Flickr
    sigpic2002 KLR650 Ugly but fun!
    2001 KLR650 too pretty to get dirty

Life is a balancing act, enjoy every day, "later" will come sooner than you think. Denying yourself joy now betting you will have health and money to enjoy life later is a bad bet.

Where I've been Riding

Here is a video

MVI_6140 by Scott Marvin, on Flickr

Life is a balancing act, enjoy every day, "later" will come sooner than you think. Denying yourself joy now betting you will have health and money to enjoy life later is a bad bet.

Where I've been Riding

Comment

Video footage of HUGE tornado from the other evening, https://twitter.com/mitchell_knight/...56473068265479
      Ryan

1979 GS850G - currently undergoing a major overhaul
      1986 GSX-R750 - I'm figuring it out

Comment

Yes, that is the Monster that hit Mayfield, Dawson Springs and other places. The devastation in Mayfield looks like footage from some WW2 bombings I have seen.

Where I've been Riding

Comment

Is it normal to see tornadoes that big in December?
          2002 bmw r1150gs 1978 gs1000E skunk les pew 1979 gs1000L dragbike
          82 gs1100L probably the next project
          1980 gs1000G the ugly 1978 gs750E need any parts?
          https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=m_m2oYJkx1A
          1978 gs1000E skunk #2 RLAP

Comment

No but not unheard of but there is no doubt they are getting stronger and more frequent.

Where I've been Riding

Comment

I remember visiting a few people back in 04' somewhere not far from Linden,TN. and they said the area is a type of 'storm/tornado alley'?
              They had a concrete bomb shelter in their yard..
              Last edited by grcamna2; 12-12-2021, 11:12 PM.

Comment

Linden is 50 or so miles Southeast of me and yes, for several years that area got hit hard and often. Seems the Tornado Magnet area is moving North and West.

Where I've been Riding

Comment

These before and after pictures of Mayfield KY show the magnitude of the destruction. Both taken at the same place, before, ground level, after from a drone.
                  Mayfield Before by Scott Marvin, on Flickr

Mayfield after by Scott Marvin, on Flickr

Where I've been Riding

Comment

Originally posted by marvinsc View Post
                    These before and after pictures of Mayfield KY show the magnitude of the destruction. Both taken at the same place, before, ground level, after from a drone.
                    ........Jesus H.
                    Ryan

1979 GS850G - currently undergoing a major overhaul
                    1986 GSX-R750 - I'm figuring it out

Comment

There sure is a lot of cleanup to do.
                      Seems like building codes will have be raised to a bomb proof level.
                      "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
                      1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
                      1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
                      1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

Absolutely devastating. Just imagine the locals that were born there and never left, everything they knew gone in an instant.

Those buildings looked like 100 year old, well cared for structures.....very sad.

Comment

This is how it is done in Kentucky:
                          The Graves County Sheriff's Office has received a big boost in their efforts to continue to serve and protect Graves County residents.

According to Sheriff Jon Hayden, his office received a donation of four fully equipped patrol cars on Monday. The cars came from Boyle County and were full of items collected from Boyle County citizens to distribute to displaced Graves County residents.

The cars were brought to Graves County by Boyle County Sheriff Derek Robbins, Boyle County Judge Executive Howard Hunt III, Boyle County Magistrate Phil Sammons and President of the Kentucky Association of Counties, along with several of their deputy sheriff’s.

Along with the cars and their goods, the Graves County Sheriff's Office was also presented a monetary donation of just over $5,000 for the Mayfield-Graves County Tornado Relief Fund.

Several Graves County Sheriff's patrol vehicles were damaged in the storm Friday night and were rendered inoperable.

In a Facebook post Monday, Hayden said he had received a call from the Kentucky Sheriff’s Association Director Jerry Wagner telling him that several sheriff’s offices across Kentucky and other states were concerned about their agency, and had offered assistance in anything they needed to get back on their feet and to help them protect their residents.

Hayden said Graves County Commissioners Tyler Goodman, Todd Hayden, and Richie Galloway happened to be present when the Boyle County caravan arrived.

Photo: Graves County Sheriff's Office Facebook

[COLOR=#6C757D !important]ADVERTISEMENT

[COLOR=#6C757D !important]LATEST LOCAL & REGIONAL[/COLOR]
                          LOCAL & REGIONALGraves County government offices temporally moving to Mayfield Shopping Plaza

13 minutes ago
                          LOCAL & REGIONALGraves County Sheriff receives patrol car donation

42 minutes ago
                          LOCAL & REGIONALCompany offers to recover information from storm damaged computers

2 hours ago
                          LOCAL & REGIONALKY First Lady announces Toys for Team Western Kentucky

13 hours ago
                          LOCAL & REGIONALOne new death reported in Graves County

13 hours ago

[COLOR=#6C757D !important]ADVERTISEMENT[/COLOR]

[/COLOR]

Where I've been Riding

Comment

AS usual, this tragedy has also brought out the two legged cockroaches. A pharmacy that was destroyed Friday night was looted before the debris settled. Other than spread looting, there are fake fund raisers aplenty and scammers calling people threatening to cut off their power if they do not pay immediately. The lowest of the low broke into power company trucks overnight and stole power tools and supplies needed to restore power. It is a good thing I am not all powerful...................

Where I've been Riding

Comment

And it also brings out the best in people. One of the local TV stations here in Lexington just did a 4 hour telethon in conjunction with University of Kentucky Athletics and the Red Cross. Last count that I saw was over 1.375 million raised with the UK people matching what is raised, dollar-for dollar! Looks like Jim Beam/Suntory Brands donated $100,000, the Citrus Bowl (football bowl game) $75,000, and about 50 other smaller companies donated over $10,00 each. Don't know what the final tally will be, but its good to see the good in humanity rise to the top! They did say that the smaller individual donations amounted to more than the large corporate amounts! And 100% is going to people in need!

Update:With donations still coming in at the conclusion of the telethon, the tabulation had reached $3,031,241 at that point.
                              Last edited by 1978GS750E; 12-14-2021, 10:12 PM.
                              Ron
                              When I die, just cremate me and put me in my GS tank. That way I can go through these carbs, one more time!
                              1978 GS750E - November 2017 BOTM
                              1978 GS1000C - May 2021 BOTM
                              1982 GS1100E - April 2024 BOTM
                              1999 Honda GL1500SE

Comment

Working...
                              X