No announcement yet.

My kid bought his first car.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The DMV tester this morning, after they came back from the test, complimented me and the boy on the many good driving habits he’s developed. Made me feel like I did a good job. So happy he passed first time. My older boy took 3 tries to finally pass. Like I said, my boys are very different, but I’ve also gotten more patient, I think.

As for the headlights. We’ll experiment with some different things on hand. One video I watched used Maguires aluminum polish, same stuff I use on my bike’s fork lowers and engine cases, with good results.

He works at Walmart, and one of the auto service techs was one of my boy scouts. I’ve told Noah to see him about oil/filter.
    Last edited by Rich82GS750TZ; 12-18-2021, 01:27 PM.
    Rich
    1982 GS 750TZ
    2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
    Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

Proud dad, and rightly so. I didn't have anything like that kind of initiative as a young 'un. I probably still don't.

I've refinished a few headlight sets now, including our current Prius. I'm really impressed with the 3M kit I used last time. It uses abrasive pads like the other methods, but the last step is a clear coat that fills and levels the remaining roughness (still visible) and also adds back on the UV protection that failed. Without it, the plastic degrades pretty quickly.

Come to think of it, it's been a couple years since I did the Prius. I haven't seen any new degradation yet, but I haven't checked either. It just hasn't attracted my attention.

I think I spent $30-ish at O'reilly and felt like it was money very well spent. Another case of spending enough to not regret it.
      Dogma
      --
      O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
      '80 GS850 GLT
      '80 GS1000 GT
      '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

Originally posted by Rich82GS750TZ View Post
        ................................He bought a backup camera. . . . . . . . .
        I have pondered that a few times.

Seems that first thing most kids would want is a sound system (or fart muffler, but, har har, not on a Prius....), but he wanted a backup camera enough to buy one himself. Maybe he is that practical ... or are kids these days that dependant on backup camera.

I didnt know that backup camera could be added as aftermarket accessorys. You have to run vidio cables thru car? or is it RF ...or is it wi-fi or bluetooth..... oh, wait, does it have its own display screen.... or use cell phone app .....?

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
        GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Originally posted by Rich82GS750TZ View Post
          The DMV tester this morning, after they came back from the test, complimented me and the boy on the many good driving habits he’s developed. Made me feel like I did a good job. So happy he passed first time. My older boy took 3 tries to finally pass. Like I said, my boys are very different, but I’ve also gotten more patient, I think.

My son passed first time as well with only one error, one which we had discussed potential errors to be watchful for as we drove to the exam. He said they'll never expect him to do that, lol I haven't let him forget that. But the examiner said he did very well and complimented his teacher, me. As he was my youngest of four I've gotten better as a teacher and like you more patient. He's 21 and never had a desire to drive he doesn't see it as essential just convenient, unlike two of his older sisters who were driving at 16 the 3rd sister was like him she was 24.

We bought his car so we can control his driving, he doesn't have the cash to pay the $270 per month insurance so we don't let him take the car when road conditions are poor. When he's done Uni and has a job he's on his own with all the risks and costs of vehicle ownership.
          Last edited by wyly; 01-03-2022, 04:04 PM.
          1979 CBX, AW440 Maico, GS1150EF

Comment

I have buddy who bought his son mazda Miata, I though it was a bit too sporty for a 1st car but his reasoning was quite good. He said many accidents are caused by inattentiveness he figured a car loaded with 4-5 rowdy teenagers was a recipe for disaster, a two seater with room for driver and gf was the safer choice.
            1979 CBX, AW440 Maico, GS1150EF

Comment

We got Noah a nice set of Weathertech floor mats for the car. All day Friday, he and I spent installing a backup camera, popping panels, running wires. Good quality time in the garage. Also showed him how to use the jack that came with the car to change a flat. And, after explaining what torque is and why it’s important, showed him how to use a torque wrench to tighten his lug nuts. And just as important, how to but put it and all my tools away properly when he’s done using them.
              Rich
              1982 GS 750TZ
              2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

Comment

Way to go, Rich.
                All good things for every driver to know.
                Great way to spend time with your son.
                2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Originally posted by Redman View Post
                  I have pondered that a few times.

Seems that first thing most kids would want is a sound system (or fart muffler, but, har har, not on a Prius....), but he wanted a backup camera enough to buy one himself. Maybe he is that practical ... or are kids these days that dependant on backup camera.

He is a very practical Kid. The Prius already has a very good sound system with JBL speakers. Good thing because the stereo is well integrated into the console, not the simple single or double din. So replacing the head unit would have been very involved/next to impossible. It has decent bass that doesn’t crack unless really pushed. As for the camera, all of his driving lessons were in my wife’s Subaru Forester and my mom’s Cadillac SUV, both with backup cameras. My MINI has none, but he didn’t want to learn stick, yet. So he got used to the camera, and I think they’re a good idea.

I didnt know that backup camera could be added as aftermarket accessorys. You have to run vidio cables thru car? or is it RF ...or is it wi-fi or bluetooth..... oh, wait, does it have its own display screen.... or use cell phone app .....?

Here’s the one he bought. Amazon Link. Inexpensive, but the 1080p video is pretty good. We decided, after moving the monitor to different locations, that the ideal place was center of windshield, hangs just below the rear view mirror. There are Bluetooth options, but that would have required a separate switched 12v feed to the monitor. We had to pop the front ceiling map light panel, all the door panels off the rear hatch, partially remove hatch weatherstripping, plastic rivets at the back end of the headliner, and some panels around the rear of the hatch area. Install the camera with the supplied bracket to the license plate, run wires from there, to top the hatch, where separate cables split to go under the headliner to the front of the cabin (video feed) and down along the hatch jamb, to splice into the reverse light 12v and a chassis ground. Install looks good, if I do say so, myself. The camera nearly gets in the way of the hatch release button, but that couldn’t be helped. The camera only comes on when you put the car in reverse.

A good set of plastic automotive interior panel tools was key, as were numerous YouTube videos on panel removal specifics to this car. I used an electrician’s fish tape to get the video cable run under the headliner from back to front.

Dave, I’m sorry I forgot to answer your questions.
                  Last edited by Rich82GS750TZ; 01-03-2022, 10:40 PM.
                  Rich
                  1982 GS 750TZ
                  2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

Comment

FWIW, I've never had long-term luck with headlight polishing kits, even the ones that include a UV coating. I've just replaced them from Rockauto.com if the prices are halfway reasonable.

That said, you can get two years at least with a polish/coat kit, more if the car is garaged, so it's certainly a very reasonable choice. And you get some forearm exercise...

I've also had good luck with replacing the halogens with LED equivalents. Look for LEDs where the emitters are placed in such a way that they mimic filaments, and you can get great results. The brands change all the time, but I've installed a few sets of "Marsauto" recently with excellent results. The brand names and lumen ratings on Amazon are all purely made up, so you just have to muddle through as best you can, and be willing to try again. I've had a couple of disappointments with dim LEDs or bad beam patterns as well.
                    1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                    2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                    2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                    Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Thanks all for the headlight suggestions. We may have a go with a refurb kit and LED bulb options. I drove the car again over the weekend, and the halogen headlights are just disappointing. LEDs really have me spoiled. The cool thing is we had a great day working on the car together in the garage. He's never show any interest in helping me tinker on the bike, lawnmower, or my car. But now that he's got his own, he has a better appreciation for what work goes into his car and weighing cost/benefits of what could/should be done to make improvements to it.
                      Rich
                      1982 GS 750TZ
                      2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

Comment

Regarding the LED "upgrade", ... keep in mind that in the US, retro-fitting LED emitters into a housing that was designed for incandescent bulbs is illegal. Will you get caught? First clue would be whether your state has annual inspections and IF they check the lights any deeper than whether they work.

I have retro-fitted LEDs into my vehicle. I will offer a caution that bwringer hinted at: get 'bulbs' that have emitters that mimic the location of the stock filament. Headlight reflectors and lenses are VERY picky on where the light source is. If the source is not in the correct location, the light will be going where it's not intended. There are a few manufacturers that provide bulbs that do this. Although they are pretty good, they are a bit expen$ive. Check out Headlight Revolution's website for some comparison tests. You will see that for the most part, you will get what you pay for, and most of the better ones are over $100 for a pair of 'bulbs'.
                        If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space.

Comment

Originally posted by Who Dat? View Post
                          Regarding the LED "upgrade", ...
                          Thanks for that, more to consider.
                          Rich
                          1982 GS 750TZ
                          2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

Comment

Originally posted by wyly View Post
                            I have buddy who bought his son mazda Miata, I though it was a bit too sporty for a 1st car but his reasoning was quite good. He said many accidents are caused by inattentiveness he figured a car loaded with 4-5 rowdy teenagers was a recipe for disaster, a two seater with room for driver and gf was the safer choice.
                            Here I believe the cheapest way to get them driving is with a 2 seat small truck. The reasoning being the same & also that there is way less liability with only 2 in the car than 5 or more..... Different for you guys. All comes back to the medical side of things here.
                            1980 GS1000G - Sold
                            1978 GS1000E - Finished!
                            1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
                            1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
                            2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
                            1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
                            2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Originally posted by wyly View Post
                              Unlike my friends 67 Chrysler Newport that sat eight comfortably! The ultimate party car. Haha
                              My Motorcycles:
                              22 Kawasaki Z900 RS (Candy Tone Blue)
                              22 BMW K1600GT (Probably been to a town near you)
                              82 1100e Drag Bike (needs race engine)
                              81 1100e Street Bike (with race engine)
                              79 1000e (all original)
                              82 850g (all original)
                              80 KZ 650F (needs restored)

Comment

Well, that didn’t take very long.

Noah was driving a friend home from school, stopped at a 4-way stop sign, the only car stopped at the intersection. He goes straight, but the car coming to the stop sign on his right never stopped, and low-speed T-boned the poor Prius. All are OK. Offending driver was a young woman of about 20, according to Noah. Noah called police, they came in about 5 minutes. Cop facilitated exchange of info, determined the other driver was clearly at fault. Her car, no damage, again according to my kid. His car, well….

Car is drivable and he says handles the same. No airbags deployed, and it doesn’t appear that the rear wheel was hit. If I had to guess on a repair estimate for rear quarter panel, rear door, maybe a front door, rocker panel repair, hidden damage; my best guess would be @$3000 to repair. I have a friend/neighbor owns a body shop and does great work. He painted my bike tank and panels for me. I’ll go visit him after I hear back from my insurance company. Insurance companies will handle it from there.

Be safe out there, friends.
                                Rich
                                1982 GS 750TZ
                                2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

Comment

Working...
                                X