a jump in revs from 5k to 6.5-7k

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

a jump in revs from 5k to 6.5-7k

whenever im riding the bike and giving it a good amount of throttle while in a higher gear, the bike will jump in its revs from about 5k to 6.5-7k and then keep going, if im giving it good throttle from a low gear and run through the band it acts fine, im wondering if this is a lean condition.

also when i go to the redline from first gear i get a pretty good response but once i go to second it feels pretty anticlimactic, im also wondering if that would be because a air/fuel mixture issue. i can post a video of me running through the gears to show how it acts for a much better visual if yall would like.
    Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
    1982 XS650

Clutch slippage?
    1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

i was thinking it could be that at first but i dont really lose any power, and it doesnt engage back in place or anything like that
      Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
      1982 XS650

Comment

Does engine noise match what the tach is doing? Or is your tach just acting up?
        - 1983 GS850L ~ 30,000 miles and going up - Finally ready for a proper road trip!
        - 1977 GS750B - Sold but not forgotten

Comment

Originally posted by 93Bandit View Post
          A half broken tach cable winding up then loosening
          Happens to speedos to
          The instrument and the swimwear
          1983 GS 550 LD
          2009 BMW K1300s

Comment

Originally posted by 93Bandit View Post
            Yes it does, I'm gonna have to take a video of it soon enough
            Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
            1982 XS650

Comment

If the eng. speed goes up, & tach needle goes up to match, & the bike doesn't speed up to match those two. I'd say the clutch or the rear tire is slipping, there's nothing else in there to slip. Also the clutch slipping should show up in Hi gear, way before in the lower gears. I took 3 of the 6 springs out of my wife's Kawa. 600 bikes clutch so she could pull it in easier. Rode it pretty hard myself & in Hi gear was the only place I ever felt any slipping.
              1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Originally posted by rphillips View Post
                If the eng. speed goes up, & tach needle goes up to match, & the bike doesn't speed up to match those two. I'd say the clutch or the rear tire is slipping, there's nothing else in there to slip. Also the clutch slipping should show up in Hi gear, way before in the lower gears. I took 3 of the 6 springs out of my wife's Kawa. 600 bikes clutch so she could pull it in easier. Rode it pretty hard myself & in Hi gear was the only place I ever felt any slipping.
                then it probably is clutch slip, ill take a video anyways. never done clutch work so this will be a first
                Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
                1982 XS650

Comment

rolling steep hiills are a good place to check a clutch
                  1983 GS 550 LD
                  2009 BMW K1300s

Comment

Did you check the tach. cable yet? A buddy told me yrs. ago, always check the cheapest simplest things first...He was right.
                    1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Originally posted by rphillips View Post
                      Did you check the tach. cable yet? A buddy told me yrs. ago, always check the cheapest simplest things first...He was right.
                      The tach cable is fine as the engine noise matches the rpms, you can hear the jump from the engine when you see the jump on the tach. It'd be nice to be the cheapest solution!
                      Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
                      1982 XS650

Comment

Originally posted by timebombprod View Post
                        The tach cable is fine as the engine noise matches the rpms, you can hear the jump from the engine when you see the jump on the tach. It'd be nice to be the cheapest solution!
                        Never bothered to check
                        Checking would kill you
                        1983 GS 550 LD
                        2009 BMW K1300s

Comment

Cipher...you did your part. That's all we can ask.

Comment

the tach cable is fine....i can assure you that, in no way am i doubting your knowledge i just can 100% assure its not the cable. it would be nice if it was that but as i said when the engine speed jumps up so does the tachometer and its never acted odd in any way, i really wish it was the tach cable as that is an easy and cheap fix. my exhaust is pretty dang loud so it is very easy to distinguish the jump in the engine speed.

please wait until i can get a video i had to do a valve adjustment (so the tach cable was able to be checked and it was fine) aswell as drop the pan to put a new one on and that required taking off the exhaust aswell so it will not be today unless i go for a night ride.
                            Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
                            1982 XS650

Comment

just to update i have to wait for exhaust gaskets so it will be a good bit until the video comes out, sorry rp i just know its not the tach, i always do check the cheapest things first, been able to only spend about $30 excluding a new battery for the virago and i got all the electrics working just fine, most of it was just deep cleaning and testing bits to make sure they worked and it saved me over $300 to ensure any electrical bits are working as they should.

if it somehow ends up being the tach ill send you $20 through paypal lol
                              Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
                              1982 XS650

Comment

Working...
                              X