No announcement yet.

a jump in revs from 5k to 6.5-7k

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

clutch is now fixed and i learned that the only reason anything manual stalls is because the weight on the moving wheels, glad i fixed it thanks again.
    Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
    1982 XS650

Comment

Congrats on getting it sorted out, well done.
      1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Originally posted by rphillips View Post
        Congrats on getting it sorted out, well done.

thanks lol, it was going on for a while so i didnt see it as a must finish now thing, i did adjust it the wrong way the first time and it would slip every single time i gave it more throttle than riding like im in my neighberhood, when i got it back to where it was it would still slip basically just as frequent but it wasnt at the right adjustment there in the first place, finally got it fixed once i got home after school and it has slipped a tiny bit twice going real hard on the throttle so i just gave it a tiny bit more adjustment and now it should be perfect, i believe it was a bit cold when it did slip those two times since then but still i had room to play with.

the good part is i only had to adjust from the bar side

also learned clutch-less shifting right after, very fun; aslong as its being done right it doesnt hurt anything. wondering how much my 0-60 will improve from this. i also finally hit the speedo limit (and a little more) and now my speedo bounces all over the place sometimes, went ahead and took the cable off from the gauge side, lubricated it and put it back in ensuring it sat correctly, checked the cables for bindings and it was good and i also routed it a little different to give it the least friction it could get. havent rode since then but hopefully it helped, if not well i guess thats what the forum is for.
        Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
        1982 XS650

Comment

Originally posted by timebombprod View Post
          ...also learned clutch-less shifting right after, very fun; aslong as its being done right it doesnt hurt anything. wondering how much my 0-60 will improve...
          Clutch-less shifting can be fun. When you're in a company truck and your passenger didn't know such a thing was possible. Or you're riding an old motorcycle and you're carrying something with your left hand.

But save it for when your linkage breaks and you've got to get home. You've already been having clutch troubles for quite some time now, why ask for trouble?
          1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Originally posted by Rob S. View Post
            Clutch-less shifting can be fun. When you're in a company truck and your passenger didn't know such a thing was possible. Or you're riding an old motorcycle and you're carrying something with your left hand.

But save it for when your linkage breaks and you've got to get home. You've already been having clutch troubles for quite some time now, why ask for trouble?

it doesnt damage anything aslong as you do the shift correctly right? i just plan on doing it for going fast although it seems to be easier than normal upshifting as you already do blip the throttle, its just one less step. ill get over the fun of it soon and just use it for going fast lol.
            Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
            1982 XS650

Comment

it doesnt damage anything aslong as you do the shift correctly right? i just plan on doing it for going fast although it seems to be easier than normal upshifting as you already do blip the throttle, its just one less step. ill get over the fun of it soon and just use it for going fast lol.
              You've heard about 'quick shifters' (which are on all modern superbikes)? They kill the ignition momentarily for full throttle shifts.

As I recall, smooth, clutch-less shifts, whether on a bike, car or truck, occurred only if you hit the sweet spot: a little throttle, a little pressure on the shifter, and when you hit that spot, the shifter just moves, and the gears change. NOT at full throttle, not for racing.

You don't have a quick shifter on your bike. Neither do you have the older version, an 'air' shifter. Stop pretending that you do.
              1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

If you’re like a lot of riders, you use the clutch every time you shift gears. But you’ve probably heard of clutchless shifting. What is it, how does it work...

this is the video i watched
                Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
                1982 XS650

Comment

Ian, If you're "blipping" the throttle on up-shifts, you're doing it wrong, whether you're using the clutch or not. On up-shifts, you need to roll off the throttle, to un-load the transmission, to allow a smooth gear change. The guy in the video says as much. Doing this shouldn't hurt anything, but why chance it. Your 650 shaftie is no drag-bike speed demon, stop pretending that it wants to be.

On down-shifting, where rev matching is important to allow the smooth gear change downward, "blipping" the throttle is prescribed. However, doing this without the clutch disengaged, results in increased speed, when the whole reason you were downshifting in the first place was to decrease your speed. If your reason for dropping down a gear is to get more torque/acceleration with the intent to pass a vehicle in front of you more quickly, then maybe a clutchless downshift could shave a 1/10th of second off your downshift time. Not worth the trouble, in my opinion.

The guy in the video, I'm sure, is not recommending doing this on a 40 year-old bike, with sketchy past, that still doesn't run quite right.

All just my opinions, Ian. I really do appreciate your efforts to improve this bike, your understanding of it, and your riding skills.
                  Rich
                  1982 GS 750TZ
                  2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
                  Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

I might be using the word blip wrong, I mean what he says in the video, when I think blip I just think of a quick motion of letting off the throttle and going right back on once the shift is done.

Don't worry I'm riding pretty normal on it right now, the clutch less shifting is just for fun but I should just focus on riding right now lol.

I figured he's not talking about old bikes but these bikes are pretty modern in my opinion as far as the characteristics go, other than being efi and having a million sensors they got everything going for them.

I am gonna need to get a faster bike at some point but I really want to hang onto this one and at some point bore it out and throw an intake on just to get some more power going, I have a bunch of fun on it.
                    Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
                    1982 XS650

Comment

I might be using the word blip wrong, I mean what he says in the video, when I think blip I just think of a quick motion of letting off the throttle and going right back on once the shift is done.

Don't worry I'm riding pretty normal on it right now, the clutch less shifting is just for fun but I should just focus on riding right now lol.

I figured he's not talking about old bikes but these bikes are pretty modern in my opinion as far as the characteristics go, other than being efi and having a million sensors they got everything going for them.

I am gonna need to get a faster bike at some point but I really want to hang onto this one and at some point bore it out and throw an intake on just to get some more power going, I have a bunch of fun on it.

Then yes, you are using the term incorrectly:

Blip the throttle

Blip the throttle means that after the clutch lever is pulled in, the throttle is quickly opened without slowing the engine RPMs after lowering the gear and releasing the clutch back. In other words, throttle blipping is clutch in, blip the throttle, lower the gear and clutch out to match (approx.)

And, to me, your desire to "...at some point bore it out and throw an intake on just to get some more power going" would be a waste of time and money. But, to each, their own. I have no doubt you are having fun. Keep on keepin' on.

Rich
                      1982 GS 750TZ
                      2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
                      Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

i wont use that term incorrectly anymore lol, thanks for the insight, it wont be anytime soon with the performance mods, maybe ill have a go-fast bike by the time id want to do it.
                        Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
                        1982 XS650

Comment

Ian, you've done good getting a very nice "OLD" bike up & going, be proud of what you've accomplished. My opinion get & keep that thing in as good of condition as possible & be proud of it. Those old 650's, especially the shaft dr. models were never intended to be fast sport bikes. You can spend Thousands, hoping up your old 650 & you've still got an old GS650, still not even in the ball park with the newer more modern 550's or 650's. Trying to hop up your old GS is just like throwing your money down a sink hole. Just my opinion...Good luck whatever you do.
                          1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Forsure I know I won't be keeping up with the new bikes, I figure I plan on keeping this bike forever so it is more of a long-term thing if I even do that, the fast bike I would like to get is any duel circle headlight gsxr if I can even find one....dream bike is a 88gsxr 750 in red but any year with that front end will do.
                            Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
                            1982 XS650

Comment

Thanks again for the insight and also saying I did a good job on the bike!
                              Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
                              1982 XS650

Comment

Working...
                              X