No announcement yet.

a jump in revs from 5k to 6.5-7k

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Naw Ian, all is good, I didn't realize you had already looked at the tach cable when you adjusted the valves, you just said you were sure it was OK & I just took it wrong. No way to be 100% sure without taking it out & looking. A clutch, if that turns out that is the problem, isn't as bad as it sounds. Just asking, you aren't using any kind of "Slick 50" or any other oil additive are you? That or even some of the new super slick motor oil will make the clutch slip. I know, I've been there & done that.
    1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Originally posted by rphillips View Post
      Naw Ian, all is good, I didn't realize you had already looked at the tach cable when you adjusted the valves, you just said you were sure it was OK & I just took it wrong. No way to be 100% sure without taking it out & looking. A clutch, if that turns out that is the problem, isn't as bad as it sounds. Just asking, you aren't using any kind of "Slick 50" or any other oil additive are you? That or even some of the new super slick motor oil will make the clutch slip. I know, I've been there & done that.
      no i just use the rotella 15w-40, i heard from one of the members here that it causes clutch grab but not slip so its probably the clutch itself. i kinda ride the crap out of it because my low end is still acting up, gonna run through the pilot circuit and mixture screws on the carbs to ensure that they are clear and then see if it goes back to being smooth. i know that i run on all 4 when idling but hey maybe its not running as strong as it should due to a inefficient fuel delivery through the pilots.

i still plan on getting a video, i just have to wait almost a week for the dang exhaust gaskets.
      Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
      1982 XS650

Comment

checked the pilot circuits with a spray test, making sure that when i spray in the pilot circuit from where the jet is and seeing the spray come out the pin size hole that the mixture screws are located at, and of course all 4 circuits spray clean, i might have possibly had one pilot jet sitting in there loose but now all 4 are certainly tight, all i have to do is wait for the exhaust gaskets. maybe ill mess around a bit more with the bike but all i really can do is cleaning lol, oh, and getting the rear brake working, had a leak and i never fixed it but im sure if i have the rear working correctly with a solid pressured pedal i will notice a difference.
        Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
        1982 XS650

Comment

video will be out today mark my words...
          Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
          1982 XS650

Comment

okay so in the beginning of the video i just show my engagement point on the clutch maybe it helps with showing what i might need to do, if you go to 2:57 my clutch will slip and ill say there it is as it happens, and also if you go to 5:58 my clutch slips again, figured a video would be good to do to show the most accurate visual of whats happening. after the second time my clutch slips the rest is just riding and just talking out random crap.

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

also my brake just started squeaking recently, i havent noticed any difference in brake performance but i should still figure out why it is squeaking, you will hear a constant valve tick as i had to do a valve adjustment due to hard starting and backfiring, was 2 intake and exhaust valves, theyre just a bit loose as of right now but with enough riding it will go back to normal, and then my idle is high lol, no intake leaks as far as i can tell ive tried multiple times spraying the boots with flammable sprays and nothing ever changes, might just be running leanish or something to do with the carbs.
            Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
            1982 XS650

Comment

I looked at it, and at the 2:57-ish slip (you called it a 'jump'), I could not clearly see if any of your left fingers were touching the clutch lever. Can you see, or recall?

Did adjusting, or over adjusting the cable make any difference?

Next time, can you eliminate the music?
              1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Originally posted by Rob S. View Post
                I looked at it, and at the 2:57-ish slip (you called it a 'jump'), I could not clearly see if any of your left fingers were touching the clutch lever. Can you see, or recall?

If this is a pushrod clutch adjustment is easy to mess up
                It requires changes at both the perch and the pushrod end

It looks like your engagement point is too far in.
                Bite should probably occur with lever closer to the bar.

The pushrod end is fiddley a small turn in on the screw is quite a significant change. Unlike th perch

There is a clear set of instructions in the 83-86 550 manual.
                1983 GS 550 LD
                2009 BMW K1300s

Comment

clutch was not pulled in at all at that mark, yeah sorry bout the music lol

im hoping i can just adjust the clutch and fix this, havent tried it at all.
                  Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
                  1982 XS650

Comment

When I saw the problem, you had backed off the throttle then nailed it again, next time when you just held it wide open it didn't seem to slip. Mine have never done like that, if you crank the throttle open at say 2500 rpm, & hold it there, when it gets to the point it's going to slip it will slip. I'm trying to imagine what the backing off then nailing it has to do with it...One thing is for sure "your clutch is slipping".
                    1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

When I saw the problem, you had backed off the throttle then nailed it again, next time when you just held it wide open it didn't seem to slip. Mine have never done like that, if you crank the throttle open at say 2500 rpm, & hold it there, when it gets to the point it's going to slip it will slip. I'm trying to imagine what the backing off then nailing it has to do with it...One thing is for sure "your clutch is slipping".

it doesnt seem to happen everytime thats why i was trying to get it to happen with things ive done in the past that would get it to act up, when i go to pass people and give it hard throttle it would do that, and also when i run through the gears like i did in the very beginning it usually would slip once i got into second.

im hoping an adjustment could help fix this issue as it doesnt seem to happen to frequent but it is enough to where i will back off of the bike a bit to make sure i dont cause it to slip.

could it be related to anything other than the clutch? its only happened twice, and those two times have been recent but when i went to downshift into first the bike would not go into first, eventually it did but it took a few attempts to do so, id hear the grinding when it wouldnt go, never had the bike pop out of gear or anything else odd but i figured id add this.
                      Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
                      1982 XS650

Comment

grinded when going into first again afterschool and when warmed up, still have to adjust clutch hoping it fixes the issue, noticed the slipping happened alot more this morning while it was about 45 degrees outside
                        Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
                        1982 XS650

Comment

Clutch slippage?
                          One thing is for sure "your clutch is slipping".
                          Originally posted by Cipher View Post
                          Bite should probably occur with lever closer to the bar.
                          Cipher's observation would indicate that it is slipping because it is not adjusted properly.
                          1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

And yes, when it’s cold out you will see it shift a little harder at first. I will usually get the revs up a little higher before shifting to help it. Once the oil has warmed up, your shifts will be easier.

But i also can’t believe I’m saying mid-40s is all that cold too
                            Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
                            1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
                            2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
                            Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
                            and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Cipher's observation would indicate that it is slipping because it is not adjusted properly.
                              Its appalling that th OP would not make an effort to do such a simple thing.
                              Driving it in this state is dangerous to himself and others
                              It is damaging the clutch and plates even further.

Ten minute job max

But the obtuse are obtuse for a reason.
                              1983 GS 550 LD
                              2009 BMW K1300s

Comment

I knew that it needed to be adjusted...I never said I wasn't going to do it because it obviously needs to be done, I just gave an update as to what was going on yesterday morning, it's been slipping for a while so it probably needs work either way.

I adjusted the clutch from the bar end today and I am able to get an earlier engagement point but my wheel tends to spin on the service stand when the clutch is fully pulled in, and another thing... I'll just post the video.

Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
                                1982 XS650

Comment

Working...
                                X