GSX1100EFE Rebuild

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GSX1100EFE Rebuild

This 1100 EFE came as the other half of the purchase with the 1100ES which I have already documented elsewhere.
    It was packed in a container and this was the only view I could get to make the initial decision on

[IMG][/IMG]

A bit banged up and a few bits missing but the seller said there were spares to be found in boxes elsewhere in the container

So decision made and the purchase was made.
    Once I got it home I could get a good look at it

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Overall it was in reasonable condition, a bit of repair work required to the tank, find engine covers, unstick brake calipers and see if the engine runs
    80 GSX1100 ET
    82 GSX750 EZ
    84 GSX1150 ES
    86 GSX750 ES
    10 GSXR1000

Tank is gruesome, might be worthwhile to search out something less of a challenge, unless you like challenges.
    1979 CBX, AW440 Maico, GS1150EF

Comment

If that was sitting in a metal container that may have been prone to damp / condensation, with the end cover off the engine for many years, beware of the rusty crankshaft gremlin. Assuming that has the roller crank, they don't take kindly to that storage type.
      ---- Dave
      79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
      80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
      79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
      92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Yes, the 1135 is a roller crank.
        It seems that the bike may have been thrown down the road. I have a nearly identical dent in my gas tank from when mine was hit and knocked over while parked. Clip on / gas tank got cozy.
        I dig the non US color scheme.
        sigpic
        When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
        -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
        -Rusty old scooter.
        Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
        https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
        https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

The bike has definitely been down the road at some stage. It has a few battle scars on the fairings

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

and the engine casing

[IMG][/IMG]
          80 GSX1100 ET
          82 GSX750 EZ
          84 GSX1150 ES
          86 GSX750 ES
          10 GSXR1000

Comment

Found the Engine covers so that is a good start

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

First job is to grind / sand all the existing bog repair off the fuel tank and derust / fill it
            80 GSX1100 ET
            82 GSX750 EZ
            84 GSX1150 ES
            86 GSX750 ES
            10 GSXR1000

Comment

After removing all the existing Bog and giving the metal a good sand and de-rust treatment I have applied first coating of replacement filler, given it a sand and a spray of filler paint (grey) to highlight the remaining low spots

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
              80 GSX1100 ET
              82 GSX750 EZ
              84 GSX1150 ES
              86 GSX750 ES
              10 GSXR1000

Comment

Found time for another coat or two of filler plus some sanding and its ready for painting

[IMG][/IMG]

I did the white portion first, then the Blue stripe, now masking up for the Red

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
                80 GSX1100 ET
                82 GSX750 EZ
                84 GSX1150 ES
                86 GSX750 ES
                10 GSXR1000

Comment

A couple of coats of Red and a 2K clear coat

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

and it came out like this. A pretty good result.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
                  80 GSX1100 ET
                  82 GSX750 EZ
                  84 GSX1150 ES
                  86 GSX750 ES
                  10 GSXR1000

Comment

I took the stator off and gave it a light sand to remove the surface rust. There was only a minor bit on the cogs so i gave them a rub down where required. Took the cylinder head cover off and checked valve clearances. Only had to adjust 4 of them a minor amount. Wound the crank around by hand to check everything moved freely. Closed it all up and filled her up with oil.
                    Pulled the carbs off and gave them a soak in the ultrasonic cleaner and replaced o-rings.
                    Balancing is still a work in progress but its close

[IMG][/IMG]

I am leaving pods on for the moment as it is such a pain removing airbox every time you pull the carbs off. I have bought some from MikuniOz.com so they should be good quality. Short Oval Pods.

[IMG][/IMG]

They have a great range of replacement parts for most carbs as well.

So time to fire it up. And she goes.! A little rough but revs OK, doesn't blow any smoke. Out on the road the only issue i really noticed was a hesitancy to run at constant throttle (1/4 to 1/3 open)
                    I will run it for a few miles to blow out any cobwebs before i start trying to fix any issues.

Next task is to have a go at painting the fairing. The original one is smashed with bits missing but it came with a plain white fairing. It looks like it may have come from Airtech-streamlining.com. Looks to be good quality but doesnt come with all the fixings.
                    80 GSX1100 ET
                    82 GSX750 EZ
                    84 GSX1150 ES
                    86 GSX750 ES
                    10 GSXR1000

Comment

Great progress!
                      1986 1150EF
                      2008 GS1250SEA

Comment

Even though the original fairing is broken I could use it to set out where my stripes had to go

[IMG][/IMG]

A bit of measuring

[IMG][/IMG]

Several runs of tape. It took several goes to get the curve just right

[IMG][/IMG]

Finally happy with the setout so add some tape

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

And ready for painting

[IMG][/IMG]

All that for a couple of stripes

[IMG][/IMG]
                        80 GSX1100 ET
                        82 GSX750 EZ
                        84 GSX1150 ES
                        86 GSX750 ES
                        10 GSXR1000

Comment

I feel your pain. I've spent hours laying out stripes only to need 10 minutes or less to spray them. It's worth the effort, though. Not..having them line up..looks like crap and has to be re-done. Your paint job is looking real nice so far. Well done.
                          1979 GS1000S,

1982 Honda CX500 Turbo, 1982 Honda MB5 w/CR80 motor, 1977 Honda "nekid" Goldwing, 1976 Honda CB550F cafe', 1972 Honda XL250 cafe'

Comment

Originally posted by nvr2old View Post
                            I feel your pain. I've spent hours laying out stripes only to need 10 minutes or less to spray them. It's worth the effort, though. Not..having them line up..looks like crap and has to be re-done. Your paint job is looking real nice so far. Well done.
                            That's an accurate assessment I did commercial painting for a while, 90% prep work, 10% finish. And if the prep work isn't meticulous the finish is crapola.
                            1979 CBX, AW440 Maico, GS1150EF

Comment

Getting the Red paint on the lower portion was the easiest part. Much easier to tape off everything else, just double check there are no gaps between paper sheets to let a fine mist through. I have at least learnt that lesson

[IMG][/IMG]

It even lines up neatly with the stripes on the tank

[IMG][/IMG]

I painted the lower internal surface the same dark blue just to break up the vastness of the space

[IMG][/IMG]

Next job is to do a bit of repair work on mid fairing pieces
                              80 GSX1100 ET
                              82 GSX750 EZ
                              84 GSX1150 ES
                              86 GSX750 ES
                              10 GSXR1000

Comment

Working...
                              X