No announcement yet.

GSX1100EFE Rebuild

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Got a bit done on one of the side panels. It was a bit damaged and had lugs mssing
    [IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Luckily I have a box of broken lugs in the spares bin so I could fibreglass it back on

[IMG][/IMG]

With a bit of resin and glass to fill the holes

[IMG][/IMG]

And a bit of paint to finish off

[IMG][/IMG]
    80 GSX1100 ET
    82 GSX750 EZ
    84 GSX1150 ES
    86 GSX750 ES
    10 GSXR1000

Comment

nicely done, the missing lugs are bugger to repair I didn't have any laying about so I shaped my lugs out of wooden dowels. But I wasn't happy with that solution so I converted the panels to polished alloy, no more paint worries.
      1979 CBX, AW440 Maico, GS1150EF

Comment

Another option is a screw with a round head inserted into glass/resin mixture

[IMG][/IMG]
        80 GSX1100 ET
        82 GSX750 EZ
        84 GSX1150 ES
        86 GSX750 ES
        10 GSXR1000

Comment

Originally posted by ensure View Post
          Another option is a screw with a round head inserted into glass/resin mixture

[IMG][/IMG]
          another good solution. I struggled with getting the alignment correct for permanent placement of the pegs.

Comment

The paintwork on the fairing looks great and nice work salvaging the side panel.
            2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Ah yes, these are the kinds of threads I live for. Nice work!
              Charles
              --
              1979 Suzuki GS850G

Read BassCliff's GSR Greeting and Mega-Welcome!

Comment

Put the pieces back on bike and took it for a test ride this morning

[IMG][/IMG]

Unfortunately as I was going about 80km/h down motorway the LHS mid panel flew off. I only knew because it banged my knee as it flew off. And it was not my fixing of the lugs that caused it. The top front lug which is still original wasn't seating into the rubber grommet quite right so once enough air got in behind it, it popped off. It now has a cable tie supporting it to keep it in place until i improve the connection.
                I circled back round to pick it up and thankfully the panel was not damaged at all , it would seem as it banged my knee it got thrown off the road and into the grass on the side of road, thankfully I was in the slow lane at the time.
                80 GSX1100 ET
                82 GSX750 EZ
                84 GSX1150 ES
                86 GSX750 ES
                10 GSXR1000

Comment

What I have been playing with Off & On for the last year is the spare fuel tank that i got with the package deal. It was fairly well banged up but I thought I would have a go.
                  Rightly or wrongly I decided to cut out the effected area, beat it into shape and get it rewelded in.

[IMG][/IMG]

I started off with my carpenters hammer and a sand bag which will probably make any semi decent panel beater cringe. I eventually bought a Hammer & Dolly set which made the task easier. There are multiple curves to match and it was a real pain.
                  I have eventually got it to this state so I need to get it welded up now. I don't know how feasible that is going to be.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

It still looks rough where I have sanded it but a bit of Bog will sought that out.
                  80 GSX1100 ET
                  82 GSX750 EZ
                  84 GSX1150 ES
                  86 GSX750 ES
                  10 GSXR1000

Comment

Nice. You've done more with two bikes in the last two years then I've done with mine in the last 20.
                    sigpic
                    When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
                    -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
                    -Rusty old scooter.
                    Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
                    https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
                    https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Thanks, I have also restored a 78 GS550 and 79 GS1000 prior to these 1150s. I haven't written a thread on them but might do a historical review for your entertainment.

I have taken the fairings off while I figure out how I can add in some brackets to mount the infill panel onto, so to stop it looking butt ugly I made a small fairing out of one of the broken spare fairings.
                      I cut it down around cracks and missing bits and came up with something similar in scale to a GS1000S fairing.
                      I had to cut down the clear (smokey) panel as well.

[IMG][/IMG]

I then painted it to match the bike colours

[IMG][/IMG]

I prefer its scale to the main fairing so will keep it on for a while until I sort out main fairing.
                      80 GSX1100 ET
                      82 GSX750 EZ
                      84 GSX1150 ES
                      86 GSX750 ES
                      10 GSXR1000

Comment

Originally posted by ensure View Post
                        What I have been playing with Off & On for the last year is the spare fuel tank that i got with the package deal. It was fairly well banged up but I thought I would have a go.
                        Rightly or wrongly I decided to cut out the effected area, beat it into shape and get it rewelded in.

[IMG][/IMG]

I started off with my carpenters hammer and a sand bag which will probably make any semi decent panel beater cringe. I eventually bought a Hammer & Dolly set which made the task easier. There are multiple curves to match and it was a real pain.
                        I have eventually got it to this state so I need to get it welded up now. I don't know how feasible that is going to be.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

It still looks rough where I have sanded it but a bit of Bog will sought that out.
                        A lot of work I'm sure you'll get it sorted out.

Comment

Here is a small digression from this actual bike project.
                          I have been meaning to replace the fork seals on my GSX750EZ / 1100 for a while now and finally got round to it.
                          I replaced the LH seal as this had a tide mark around it from the oil leak. No issues doing the seal but when I went to reinstall the fork into bike it was a pain. I lined the top of tube up in triple clamp at same height as RH and tried to get axle through wheel but it wouldnt go in.

[IMG][/IMG]

Eventually I took it out and also removed the RH fork and replaced the seal. Before installing new fork oil I lined them up against wall and I was somewhat surprised to see this

[IMG][/IMG]

Different length fork tubes. The longer tube had a slightly longer upper spring in it.

I have been riding this bike for 9 years and never noticed any issue with handling over and above the basic fact that these old bikes have pretty ordinary handling at the best of times.
                          Seeing as I have lived with it for so long I don't see an immediate need to Fix it so I have filled them up with oil and re-installed them. I lined them up from bottom rather than top and then just pulled tube up before tightening top clamps.
                          80 GSX1100 ET
                          82 GSX750 EZ
                          84 GSX1150 ES
                          86 GSX750 ES
                          10 GSXR1000

Comment

So back to the project Bike.
                            I found a guy to do some welding for me on the engine casing on the lower RHS of engine case

[IMG][/IMG]

He made it look easy. Stuck a drill bit in the cover thread hole and welded around it, gound it down and its good as new

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
                            80 GSX1100 ET
                            82 GSX750 EZ
                            84 GSX1150 ES
                            86 GSX750 ES
                            10 GSXR1000

Comment

Wow, nice work. The seal doesn't have to be perfect. Just trying to keep dirt out of the ignition area.
                              Rich
                              1982 GS 750TZ
                              2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
                              Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

I don't really plan on installing the lower fairing but thought I would fix it up anyway. Like the rest of the bike it has scars on the RHS. The extent of white paint was how it came to me.
                                My first move was to fibreglass a ring around the hole to try and extend the curved area out to about the edge of the Contact breaker cover (the greyish area)

[IMG][/IMG]

To get the remainder of fairing to sit flat and an appropriate distance off the engine cover I installed the fairing on bike and then covered the engine cover in layers of newspaper and tape to make sure no resin spilled onto it.
                                I then taped on several layers of round cardboard and topped it off with a round metal tin lid so i had a gap of approx 15mm off the cover. More tape to hold it all in place and then I applied 2 layers of fibreglass and pressed it against the tin lid so it was nice and flat.
                                When it was 3/4 set I slipped a knife in between fibreglass and tin lid to separate them and then lowered the cardboard & tin lid out so the fibreglass could set without worry of it sticking to formwork.
                                Once it was dry I applied another couple of layers of glass and ground out the bits on the inner face that were a bit close to engine.
                                A bit of sanding and a coat of paint produced this result

[IMG][/IMG]

Good enough for me.
                                80 GSX1100 ET
                                82 GSX750 EZ
                                84 GSX1150 ES
                                86 GSX750 ES
                                10 GSXR1000

Comment

Working...
                                X