No announcement yet.

GSX1100EFE Rebuild

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The main fairing that came with bike is a replacement type that does not include any fixings for attaching the infill panels to and looks like this

[IMG][/IMG]

The last major job is to add some fixings so that the black panel can be installed.
    Thankfully I have the fairing from my 1100ES that I can compare to when locating fixing points.

[IMG][/IMG]

There is a long bracket that goes down each side that is fixed to fairing and has holes in for fixing panel to + a solid block at the bottom edge with a screw fixing

[IMG][/IMG]
    80 GSX1100 ET
    82 GSX750 EZ
    84 GSX1150 ES
    86 GSX750 ES
    10 GSXR1000

Comment

Step 1 was to cut up some lengths of flat plastic to use as the mounts. I have used the lid off small electrical trunking.

I marked up where I wanted it to go

[IMG][/IMG]

I then glued it to the fairing and left it to set.

[IMG][/IMG]

I then fibreglassed it on properly on the underside so that infill panel will sit flat on mounting bracket. You can see a few threads of glass sticking out from underneath

[IMG][/IMG]

Then I had to create a mounting point for the lower connection. I made a cardbord funnell the right shape and taped it onto fairing it corerct spot (hopefully)

[IMG][/IMG]

I then filled it up with resin and stuffed glass fibre in there

[IMG][/IMG]

Once it was all set I drilled some holes to line up with infill panel.
      I did a dry run install and it seemed fine

[IMG][/IMG]

Once I installed the fairing on the bike the panel would not quite line up properly.
      Digging a bit deeper I found that the fairing bracket was slightly twisted. The one off bike (black) vs my spare one (blue) shows a moderate offset.

[IMG][/IMG]

I had half dropped the bike off the sidestand onto the garage wall a while back but hadn't really thought the twist was bad enough to fiddle with as I havent had the full fairing on.
      Once I gave it a twist and straightened it up it all lined up Ok

[IMG][/IMG]

So here she is all finished

[IMG][/IMG]

And the big news is I sold it. I was advertising a few bits for sale and I got talking to a guy. I showed him a photo and he offered to buy it. Saves me the hassle of having to get it reregistered for the road. On the downside I now only have 5 bikes in the garage.

[IMG][/IMG]
      80 GSX1100 ET
      82 GSX750 EZ
      84 GSX1150 ES
      86 GSX750 ES
      10 GSXR1000

Comment

Again, I'm impressed.
        Regarding the fill panel, I've always thougt it would be cool to leave it completely out and paint the inside to mimic the outside. I have three of those panels, all horribly weathered. I took one and gave it a major trim... Its cool to be able to look fown and see the top of the engine again. I also like the heavily cut down fairing you showed a ways back.
        sigpic
        When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
        -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
        -Rusty old scooter.
        Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
        https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
        https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Very well done Sir. Your fab skills are commendable. Cheers to you.
          Paul

sigpic

Originally posted by Grimly
          Watery bints handing out swords is no basis for any system of government.

Comment

From Dorkburger I also like the heavily cut down fairing you showed a ways back

I found a couple of other older photos with the smaller fairing on so you can get a better look

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Its now sittingon a shelf in the garage as I didn' t sell it with the bike.
            80 GSX1100 ET
            82 GSX750 EZ
            84 GSX1150 ES
            86 GSX750 ES
            10 GSXR1000

Comment

I have one of those small fairings somewhere in my garage too.

Great fab skills, you work three times my speed.
              1979 CBX, AW440 Maico, GS1150EF

Comment

Working...
              X