Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1981 GS450 Street tracker build.

Hello everyone!
    I am currently building a road going flat track type of bike from an American import GS450 twin (we never got the 450 in the uk)
    The bike has probably not run for about 20yrs from the look of the wildlife nests found in the airbox etc.

I'm just going to try a pic upload first to see if this pic works
    Last edited by Dazzo; 12-20-2021, 04:27 PM.

Ahh, so the pic eventually worked, I'll get on with it then!
    This is the bike as bought, all there, but suffering from standing for a long time.

Comment

So, first thing was a compression check, a new battery was bought, and checked oil was OK, no nasties from the mouse nest fom the airbox in the bores, gave it a turn over by hand first then shorted the starter solenoid, cool, good compression on both cylinders so good to work with.
      I'll be rebuilding the top end anyway but nice to know its looking good inside the motor.
      Started the strip down to look at any loom chopping or suspect repairs, all OK so far.

Comment

So, with all looking OK and workable, I stripped the bike down to the frame and component parts.
        I hope its not frowned upon around here to be chopping one of these old bikes up, but I thought it was an ideal thing to start with, twin cylinder, air cooled, a strong motor but a little humdrum, a workhorse commuter given a new lease of life?
        Once down to a bare frame it was time for a measure up, I wanted to shorten the rear of the frame and weld in a new hoop, clean up some of the brackets that won't be needed and smooth so of the standard welds over a little, the 70s Japanese welding is a little rough in places.
        So I ended up with this-

Comment

This hoop was made up to suit the seat unit I had, I want the rear end to be swept up a little, and as minimal as possible.
          The whole project is about light weight and as simple as possible, no trimmings, just what it needs to run and perform.
          So far I have removed a fair chunk of weight, there is so much that's not needed, but suzuki wanted the bike to last a lifetime so lots of it is over engineered.
          I'll be using the more modern GS500 carbs from an 89 bike, with a twin k&n filter and a stg 3 dynojet kit.
          Standard headers with some GP style silencers.

Comment

With the frame welding done it was time for paint, I tried a couple of things, wrinkle finish, satin black, but settled on gloss black.
            Fitted new head and swingarm bearings, and got the yokes (triple tree) painted, along with stripping and painting the wheels.
            Stainless fasteners where possible, including black stainless with brass washers.
            So far I have got to here-

Comment

Nice work so far, Dazzo!
              I like the look of the slight kicked-up tailpiece.
              What are the new shocks with the yellow springs?
              2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Thanks! The shocks are nothing special, cheap Chinese RFY online copies, they have dubious oil and nitrogen levels from the factory so I'll be rebuilding them before they go on the road.

Comment

As a retired flat track racer, I don't usually look in on these "tracker" builds as the result is usually far less than satisfying. I'm kinda glad I peeked into here! Your fab skills are superb and you are doing a fine interpretation of an American flat track bike build.

Please, please find yourself some 19" spoked wheels to finish up the transformation... please?
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by slayer61; 12-21-2021, 05:29 PM.
                  Paul

sigpic

Originally posted by Grimly
                  Watery bints handing out swords is no basis for any system of government.

Comment

Wow, thanks for your kind words sir!
                    If I could stretch the budget for spokes I would, I have an eye out for some early GS spoked rims but they don't come up often.
                    I may well go that route once the bikes finished, then I can save up the funds for them.

Comment

Just to give you an idea of how it looks with the seat and tank roughly in place.

Comment

And a couple of bits for when the motor goes back in, I work in carbon composites so made some front engine mounts to replace the pressed steel ones, and a new ally spacer to replace the steel tube one.

Comment

Nice weave on that mount plate. Has it attenuated the engine's vibration? Well, presuming you've gotten the chance to feel it before. These GS twins are surprisingly smooth. Keep up the good work!
                          1982 GS 450L aka Lil' Red
                          1980 GS 1000G aka Big Red (Resto-mod WIP)

Comment

Originally posted by Dazzo View Post
                            And a couple of bits for when the motor goes back in, I work in carbon composites so made some front engine mounts to replace the pressed steel ones, and a new ally spacer to replace the steel tube one.

^^^ Man, that's dead sexy right there!! ^^^
                            How fortunate to have access to that technology
                            Paul

sigpic

Originally posted by Grimly
                            Watery bints handing out swords is no basis for any system of government.

Comment

Wow! Those are wicked cool!
                              My Fleet
                              2008 HD Sportster Roadster 1200 the cruiser
                              2001 Yamaha FZ1 old guy's sport bike
                              Yamaha TW200 year unknown the ranch runner
                              1983 GS1100E parts/project wants to be a bike again
                              1970 Suzuki TC90

Comment

Working...
                              X