Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

what is this and should i be concerned

carb.jpg

not much more to say than the title, if you dont sere what im talking about one of those circles on the carb body has what i assume is gas residue surrounding it.

waiting on exhaust gaskets right now so i figured id check things over and try to figure out why i have such crap running at 1100-2500, im pretty sure its the exhaust causing it because when i had my mixture screws at the proper 1 1/2 turns out my bike did not want to move at all at those speeds but when put to 2 3/4 it was actually able to go up the rpms at those speeds but still needs adjusting, an intake mod will possibly be done soon.

also hard starting on the bike but i think it was due to tight valves, i still might make a run through the carbs along the pilot circuit just to get that possibility out the way but i dont think its that, i cleaned the airbox out as much as i could and i oiled the filter and its all airtight so no foreign things should be getting into them.
    Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
    1982 XS650

My opinion: Some residue like that is normal after a bit of use. If the bike hasn't been running "just right" I go through the carbs as a matter of course. I dip them, blow air through everything and replace all O-rings. Then check everything (I always note what all settings were when I take them apart too, for any anomolies). Then you have to run through all settings and sync them to get it so it is running right. There are great carb tutorials on this site. If the carbs aren't right I just don't enjoy riding the bike and it's something that can be made right.
    1986 1150EF
    2008 GS1250SEA

Comment

I would not be concerned. That's part of the charm of motorcycles of that era - they're dirty and greasy, and so is anyone who rides one. I wish I were still one.
      1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

alright well thats good, yeah i use the carb rebuild tutorial that the people recommend on here its a phenomenal tutorial.

im wondering if its float height or just some gunk in the pilot jets, anyways i guess i have enough time to clean, or rebuild, and sync them even with the exhaust leak since its all on the intake side that i have to mess with.
        Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
        1982 XS650

Comment

I agree, nothing to worry about.

By the way, if the floats were off enough to put some residue up that high, you have other, MUCH more serious things to worry about.

Comment

Originally posted by phydeauxmutt View Post
            I agree, nothing to worry about.

By the way, if the floats were off enough to put some residue up that high, you have other, MUCH more serious things to worry about.

no i meant for the crap running at 1100 to 2500, it takes the bike 10-15 seconds to get running on all 4 every time i start it up and just has bad acceleration through those rpms, maybe its a low float height causing fuel not to get into the motor right away as it should?
            Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
            1982 XS650

Comment

Working...
            X