Tool for adjusting pilot fuel screw?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tool for adjusting pilot fuel screw?

I'm working on getting my '77 GS750 running and rebuilt the carbs yesterday. I adjusted the pilot fuel screws to 1 full turn out as suggested in the rebuild tutorial, but once the carbs are on the bike carb 2 & 3 pilot fuel screws are a real pain to get too. I cut off the end of a screwdriver short enough to fit under there, but I can barely get my hand in there to turn it. Is there a special tool out there to adjust these screws while on the bike? Or any other ideas? Or, do I have to pull the carbs every time I need to make an adjustment? I sure hope not... Any help is appreciated, thanks!

I searched the forum but didn't come across anything concerning my question specifically.
    - 1983 GS850L ~ 30,000 miles and going up - Finally ready for a proper road trip!
    - 1977 GS750B - Sold but not forgotten

Originally posted by 93Bandit View Post
    I'm working on getting my '77 GS750 running and rebuilt the carbs yesterday. I adjusted the pilot fuel screws to 1 full turn out as suggested in the rebuild tutorial, but once the carbs are on the bike carb 2 & 3 pilot fuel screws are a real pain to get too. I cut off the end of a screwdriver short enough to fit under there, but I can barely get my hand in there to turn it. Is there a special tool out there to adjust these screws while on the bike? Or any other ideas? Or, do I have to pull the carbs every time I need to make an adjustment? I sure hope not... Any help is appreciated, thanks!

I searched the forum but didn't come across anything concerning my question specifically.
    i just take a flathead bit from a interchangeable screwdriver kit and use that to tighten or loosen it, mixture screws should have no problem moving about when doing it like this, if anything 2&3 might need to have the rear tank bolts taken off so you can tilt the tank up and get to them easier.
    Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
    1982 XS650

Comment

Originally posted by timebombprod View Post
      i just take a flathead bit from a interchangeable screwdriver kit and use that to tighten or loosen it, mixture screws should have no problem moving about when doing it like this, if anything 2&3 might need to have the rear tank bolts taken off so you can tilt the tank up and get to them easier.
      Bandit is talking about the pilot fuel screws on VM carbs, which are by the float bowls.

I used a stubby screwdriver, which I further chopped down. 1 turn out on those screws is typically too rich. Try between 3/4 - 7/8 of one turn for a start.
      Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
        Bandit is talking about the pilot fuel screws on VM carbs, which are by the float bowls.

I used a stubby screwdriver, which I further chopped down. 1 turn out on those screws is typically too rich. Try between 3/4 - 7/8 of one turn for a start.
        sounds like we both had the same idea for approach. I guess I'll just try to limber up my hand a bit and give it another attempt. I'll set them to 3/4.

Thanks!
        - 1983 GS850L ~ 30,000 miles and going up - Finally ready for a proper road trip!

Comment

I tape a small screwdriver bit in a 1/4" socket. You'll get good feel for it, lightly searching around for the right angle. I also put some marks on the tape as reference so I know how much I'm turning.
          Tom

'82 GS1100E Mr. Turbo
          '79 GS100E
          Other non Suzuki bikes

Comment

Ask Santa for a 90 degree from Motion Pro.
            There are cheaper versions out there.
            Color/Finish: Black Material: Steel Fits: Universal Note: Adjusts carbs in tight spaces
            2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Originally posted by oldGSfan View Post
              I tape a small screwdriver bit in a 1/4" socket. You'll get good feel for it, lightly searching around for the right angle. I also put some marks on the tape as reference so I know how much I'm turning.
              That's a good idea, I'll try that.

Comment

Originally posted by steve murdoch View Post
                https://www.z1enterprises.com/carb-p...ting-tool.html
                Man that's tempting... But how many times will I use it??? Never hurts to have another tool I suppose...

Comment

Only time I've ever touched mine was after soaking in carb dip and reassembly. Set them to either 5/8 or 3/4 of a turn out and forget about them.
                  This has always worked for me.
                  Larry

'79 GS 1000E
                  '93 Honda ST 1100 SOLD-- now residing in Arizona.
                  '18 Triumph Tiger 800 (gone too soon)
                  '19 Triumph Tiger 800 Christmas 2018 to me from me.
                  '01 BMW R1100RL project purchased from a friend.

Comment

Originally posted by alke46 View Post
                    Only time I've ever touched mine was after soaking in carb dip and reassembly. Set them to either 5/8 or 3/4 of a turn out and forget about them.
                    This has always worked for me.
                    same. My bike is pretty much all stock so I use the the little index marks next to the pilot fuel screw on my post January 1st 1978 emissions style carbs and then tune for the highest idle on the air screws.
                    1978 Suzuki GS750

Past bikes owned:
                    1978 Suzuki GS750E, 1979 Suzuki GS750E, 1980 Suzuki GS850, 1977 Suzuki GS550, 1969 Honda CB350, 1976 Harley Davidson SS175, 1979 Motobecane 50V, 1978 Puch Maxi, 1977 Puch Newport, 1980 Tomos Bullet, 1978 Motobecane 50VLA, 1978 AMF Roadmaster

Comment

Originally posted by 93Bandit View Post
                      Man that's tempting... But how many times will I use it??? Never hurts to have another tool I suppose...
                      "How many times will i ever use it?" You are looking at it all wrong.
                      Get the tool...get more bikes!
                      2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

"How many times will i ever use it?" You are looking at it all wrong.
                        Get the tool...get more bikes!
                        I like how you think. I have 4 bikes (one is basically only parts) and I'd like more, but wifey said I need to fix the ones I have before I can get more. Sometimes it annoys me, but most times I understand that she has what I lack; self control... She's my voice of reason.

Comment

Happy wife.
                          Happy life.
                          Jim, in Central New York State.

1980 GS750E (bought used June,1983)
                          1968 CB350 Super Sport (bought new Oct,1968)
                          1962 CA77 305 Dream (bought used Feb,1963)

Comment

https://www.z1enterprises.com/carb-p...ting-tool.html
                            I have one of these, and it's a beautiful tool but thus far it has been useless. It just doesn't fit where it needs to fit on any of the bikes I've owned or the many that have passed through my garage. And even in the rare situations when it actually fits, there's zero feel, so it's really hard to tell whether the bit is engaged with the screw. Yes, I tried it without the detent ball.

Man, it sure is a pretty tool. But in my experience, it just doesn't work.

From the top, I use a really long, slim driver with the tank off. From the bottom, I have a selection of teensy weensy drivers in different lengths, handles, etc.
                            1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                            2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                            2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                            Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

A little dental mirror is helpful to see the screw, easy to find the slot and helps me be precise on how much rotation.
                              1978 GS 750 E
                              1979 XS11 Standard
                              1973 CB450

Comment

Working...
                              X