Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS550 crankcase query

Hello All.
    Awesome forum people, nice to see knowledgable and generous people out there!
    Me and the boy have acquired a 1980 GS550 project. We’ve got here running and started fettling!
    I have noticed that the top-rear crankcase bolt housing (that the sprocket cover attaches to) has been snapped off (not by us!!).
    Its not affecting anything (the snapped off bit stops before the crank wall) and sprocket cover is held on well by the other remaining bolts.
    But I have been looking at possible replacement crankcases.
    I have found one, but I notice it has a machined ‘post’ next to oil pressure sensor …. And our existing one doesn’t? An extra one to the main earth post. Is this just a cable holder/trap? As nothing evident on the inside of crankcase.
    Also the seller says it is from an electric start (no kick start) version … but ours has a kick start. I see in the pictures that it has the hole to accommodate the kickstart mechanism … so am assuming that we can still retain it … or am I being naive!!
    Our engine no. is GS550-150060 the replacement is GS550-194202 …. So I ‘think’ both are the GS550E …. But this is a steep learning curve for us!
    Any advice and wisdom is very gratefully received.
    Have a great Christmas, and health and happiness in the New Year.
    best Niall & Fergus
    GS550 1980

Here is a picture of the offending ‘post’ on the crankcase.
    63EBC029-2619-4AFF-BE2B-32A689D0C73C.jpg
    The existing crankcase doesn’t have this?
    best N&F
    GS550 1980

Comment

I'm not an expert on the UK market bikes but in most parts of the world the 1980 model year bikes ditched the kickstarter, so maybe your bike is actually a 1979 model year?

Regarding the post you speak of, it might help if you posted some photos highlighting the differences?

Edit: looked at some photos on ebay and it shows the post you reference. Pretty sure that's to hold the clutch cable for the 650E model, which apparently shares the crankcase with the later year 550. You should be able to use those cases no problem.
      Last edited by Nessism; 12-22-2021, 12:49 PM.
      Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

I've got two 550 PRE-E engines ('77 & '78), and a 550 E engine ('79). The only difference I have noticed is that the E lacks the kick-starter. Neither of them have anything where that arrow points to. A closer picture might help.

I can send pictures if that helps.
        sigpic
        '77 GS550B
        '78 GS550C

Comment

As Ed said above, your engine is 1979 (or earlier). The crankcases are interchangeable as far as I know. The main differences between the engines were the kickstart or not, different heads to accommodate different carbs, and the primary drive gear. Personally I wouldn't worry too much about the sprocket cover. It's not under any strain, and a bit of Loctite would more than make for one missing screw.
          1980 GS550ET

Comment

Thank you all for the comments and thoughts.
            I guessed at 1980 version based on the reg document, but see your rationale for it being a 1979.
            Looking at the damage on the crankcase I wonder if one of the previous owners had a chain snap on them and this caused the damage.
            Anyway, as commented, she runs fine at the moment and this shouldn’t be an issue. But I may snap up the crankcase for a future rebuild/recon of the engine.
            A final question though!!
            Given the electric start crankcase has the hole for kickstart … if we used our right-hand clutch cover casing (with hole for kickstart) …. we can keep kickstart. Is that what you guys mean by interchangeable… or have I got this wrong.
            best wishes for Christmas
            N&F
            GS550 1980

Comment

Correct - the kickstart mechanism will fit all crankcases. If you post some photos of the bike, or if you can find the frame number, someone will tell you for certain which sub-model you have.
              1980 GS550ET

Comment

Working...
              X