'82 GS1100G Tensioner question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

'82 GS1100G Tensioner question

I presently have the carbs and manifolds off my 1100 to rebuild the carbs and replace the manifolds and o-rings. While I have access, I thought I'd turn the knob on the tensioner. I was surprised that it won't budge in the least, even with quite a bit of force. Correct me if I'm mistaken, as there's always a 1st time , but shouldn't that tensioner knob move, at least in one direction? If so, looks like I'll be attending to it too while I have access.
    Common sense has become so uncommon that I consider it a super power.

Present Stable includes:
    '74 GT750 Resto-mod I've owned since '79
    '83 GS1100E (The best E I've ever enjoyed, Joe Nardy's former bike)
    '82 GS1100G Resto project

You might want to set the engine to 1-4 T and then pull it off. There are a couple of different seals inside which are good to replace. Not to mention, you can make sure it's not binding up.
    Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Here’s the cam chain tensioner rebuild guide found on BikeCliff’s Website site. Linked the file cause it may be hard to find if you don’t know where to look.
      Rich
      1982 GS 750TZ
      2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
      Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

Thanks guys. I removed the tensioner today and, as I did, the knob turned. I checked the movement once I had it off and in my hand and it appears to work smoothly. No idea what the problem may've been but thankful all is well. Thanks again and happy holidays!

Present Stable includes:

Comment

Do find the tutorail about rebuilding the tensioner if it was leaking oil.

At least find good instructions for reinstalling it correctly.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
          GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Wasn't leaking a drop. Thanks

Present Stable includes:

Comment

Before you reinstall it, be sure you know the correct procedure. Failure to do so will result in nothing good. Consult the rebuild guide I linked above.
              Rich
              1982 GS 750TZ
              2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

Comment

I appreciate the additional responses. I will admit that I didn't disassemble the tensioner. I removed it to see why the knob wouldn't move in either direction. My theory was that it was being held in place because the threaded shaft with the locknut was never loosened after it was installed the last time. However, the plunger did come out a bit as I removed the tensioner body so I don't know why the knob wouldn't budge. So, with the tensioner assembly in my hand, I loosened the locknut and threaded shaft, removed the plunger and inspected it before sliding it back in it's bore. Then, I moved it in and out to check for binding. There was none. I then, pushed the plunger in all the way, tightened the threaded shaft, reinstalled the assembly, loosened the threaded shaft and tightened the locknut with the shaft turned out about 1/4 - 1/2 turn from making contact with the plunger. Am I good to go?

Present Stable includes:

Comment

Not an expert, but that sounds right to me, as long as the flat part of the plunger shaft was aligned with where the bottom of the set screw ends up. Set screw should have been tight against the flat spot for reinstallation. Then the 1/4 to 1/2 lefty turn of the set screw after reinsertion allows the plunger to ride in and out on its spring. But the end of the set screw lives in the flat spot, keeping the plunger from coming all the way out.
                  Last edited by Rich82GS750TZ; 12-26-2021, 08:03 AM.
                  Rich
                  1982 GS 750TZ
                  2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

Comment

Don't forget to retighten the lock nut after you back off the set screw.
                    Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Thanks again guys, really. Funny, in a way, but I woke up around 3AM this morning, worried about how I may've screwed things up. Your latest responses offer a great deal of relief. However, a couple of details came to mind that I forgot to include in my last reponse, really. Here they are.
                      I realize we can't turn back time but 2 of my regrets are that I didn't have cylinders 1 & 4 at TDC when I removed the tensioner and that I didn't remove the rag I had covering the cams when I removed the tensioner so I could see if either cam moved when I loosened the tensioner. That said, yet another detail comes to mind.
                      When I bought this bike, the seller told me that it wasn't firing on cylinders 2 & 3. I figured that was due to a bad coil. However, both coils are getting the same voltage and have the same resistance across the terminals. The valve clearances were out of spec but not much. Of course, I'm still in "diagnosis and tune-up mode" so I haven't tried firing it up yet. I could also see that the intake manifolds were leaking so I got but haven't installed the new o-rings I bought. Also, when I removed the manifolds, all of them had rubber delaminating from the metal flanges. New ones are enroute and should arrive this week.
                      Another thing that struck me as odd, when I was checking the valve clearances was that the marks on the cam sprockets weren't in the same position with regard to the head surface as I turned the crank. I seem to recall that the marks I'm referring to are supposed to both be in the same position. These are slightly off. Is this a valid concern?
                      Finally, a consideration of sorts along with an apology for being so wordy in my responses. I feel the more info the better. Anyway, the consideration being that, most times, when buying a used vehicle, the buyer has no real idea about the history of that vehicle and, especially when the buyer doesn't hear it run has to rely upon the knowledge, honesty and integrity of the seller. That matter applies here.
                      So, now that, I have included quite a bit of additional info, I'm really looking forward to your responses which I continue to be thankful for.

Present Stable includes:

Comment

Originally posted by willie View Post
                        .I didn't remove the rag I had covering the cams when I removed the tensioner so I could see if either cam moved when I loosened the tensioner. .
                        . .. .. .. .. .. .. .... .. .. I seem to recall that the marks I'm referring to are supposed to both be in the same position. These are slightly off. Is this a valid concern?..
                        WHen removing (or doiung anything) with the tensioner, the concern is not so much that the cams move, but more that the chain skips some teeth on a sprocket (weither cam moved or not).
                        Other concern is that with the tensioner removed; turning the crank can cause the chain to skip.

Yes, cam "timing" is a concern. If off a little bit the engine will run but not as well as it should. If have crankshaft 180 degress from where it should (say on mark for 2-3 not the mark for 1-4) when set the cams, it aint gonna run.

I am not the gear head to be giving much advise on such engine stuff, but setting the cams is something I have direct expereince with, but limited.

No, cam marks are not suppose to be "the same".
                        Without being two detailed: Exhaust cam has a arrow 1 and arrow 2 (about 90 degrees away). With crank in proper position (T mark for 1-4), arrow 1 should be pointing about horizontal at the top surface of the head (cam cover surface) and then arrow 2 will be pointing about straight up, count a certain number of chain pins (something like 20, dont recall) and that should be where the arrow 3 on intake cam is positioned which is somewhat staroight up. Difficult detail I had with all that is putting cams in position, then putting on the cam caps. THe trick was to have the arrow 1 (on exhaust cam without the caps bolted down) pointing slightly bellow the surfac, and putting on the cam caps the cams move down and arrow moves some, wanted to end up so that when bolted down the cam caps the arrow 1 was then about level pointing at the surface. Okay, my descrtiption wasnt so brief, but stil left out some details. (I have a posting about it........)

>> later note: yes, it is 20 pins.

and here is the link
                        Last edited by Redman; 12-26-2021, 02:54 PM.

GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Is typical recomendaion to not turn crank/cams when tensioner is removed, out of cconcern for the chain skipping some teeth on a cam.

AH, you are not so much asking about installing cams.
                          You are asking about checking cam positions.

TO check:
                          - Turn crank to position of 1-4T mark to the pickup on the left (1-4 piston should be at top).
                          - the Arrow 1 on exhaust cam should be pointing about level with top of head/cam cover surface.
                          - find the arrow 2, count chain pins, the pin at the arrow 2 is pin1, count to 20 and that pin20 should be at arrow 3 on intake cam.

Comment

I'm a little confused about your instructions so let me respond and comment, in bold, to the parts that are the source of that confusion. Keep in mind that I'm not inferring or stressing anything by using the bold letters. Thanks.

Originally posted by Redman View Post
                            Is typical recomendaion to not turn crank/cams when tensioner is removed, out of cconcern for the chain skipping some teeth on a cam.
                            Fortunately, I have not moved the crank/cams since reinstalling the tensioner

AH, you are not so much asking about installing cams.
                            You are asking about checking cam positions.
                            Correct

TO check:
                            - Turn crank to position of 1-4T mark to the pickup on the left (1-4 piston should be at top). Not sure of what pickup you're referring to on the left.
                            - the Arrow 1 on exhaust cam should be pointing about level with top of head/cam cover surface. I've noticed a "-" mark on the sprockets but no arrows. I'll look again though
                            - find the arrow 2, on which cam?count chain pins, the pin at the arrow 2 is pin1, count to 20 and that pin20 should be at arrow 3 on intake cam.
                            I'm guessing that you're referring to counting the chain pics from the arrow on one cam to the arrow on the opposite cam, correct?

THANKS for your advice and patience.

Present Stable includes:

Comment

Glad to help. Although I didnt mean for my description to be a complete tutorial on everythihng, was just trying to answer question or comment on points you mentioned.

To comment further on the points you mentioned.

Originally posted by willie View Post
                              Not sure of what pickup you're referring to on the left.
                              I'm guessing that you're referring to counting the chain pics from the arrow on one cam to the arrow on the opposite cam, correct?

THANKS for your advice and patience.
                              THe 1-4T mark on the ignition plate (name?description?) that turns with crank should be lined up with the ignition pickup on the left (not the one on right for 2-3)

Yes, count pins starting with the pin AT arrow2 on exhaust cam, and the 20th pin should be at the arrow3 on the intake cam. (not pins between the arrows). The arrows are on the cam sprockets, on the side you can see from the ignition cover side of the bike.
                              Last edited by Redman; 12-27-2021, 10:29 AM. Reason: 1-4 (not 1-2)

Comment

Working...
                              X