No announcement yet.

'82 GS1100G Tensioner question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

To answer your questions.....my guess is that it had been taken apart at some time and reassembled without preloading the spring at all. So, that said, I guess it needed some turns instead of none. Bottom line is that it maintains pressure on the tensioner plunger.
    Fwiw, I turned the crank several rotations while watching for the slack I had seen previously. Thankfully, there wasn't any. And, the marks on the cams lined up where they were supposed to be. Success!
    I then turned my attention to disassembling the carbs. This was after soaking all the jets with penetrant for a few days. You can imagine my disappointment when I discovered that the slot on one of the idle mixture jets was so messed up that I'm unable to remove it. Now, I have to find another carb.
    Common sense has become so uncommon that I consider it a super power.

Present Stable includes:
    '74 GT750 Resto-mod I've owned since '79
    '83 GS1100E (The best E I've ever enjoyed, Joe Nardy's former bike)
    '82 GS1100G Resto project

Comment

Originally posted by willie View Post
      To anyone following this thread, I thought I'd write the final chapter, I hope.
      After adding 2 more turns to the spring preload, the tensioner works great now. No more slack when turning the crank by hand.
      The End
      PS
      Thanks to those who helped and happy new year to all.

And this is what makes this forum so good. Lots of experienced gurus who are happy to help a fellow solve his problems
      Larry

'79 GS 1000E
      '93 Honda ST 1100 SOLD-- now residing in Arizona.
      '18 Triumph Tiger 800 (gone too soon)
      '19 Triumph Tiger 800 Christmas 2018 to me from me.
      '01 BMW R1100RL project purchased from a friend.

Comment

Working...
      X