Read a good book lately?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Read a good book lately?

Hey folks. I thought a book thread would be interesting, and help me with some ideas of what to pic up next. This applies to audio books as well btw. So if you've recently read, or listened to a book you'd recommend, post a comment about it. Heck, even if there's a book you think we should all stay away from, feel free to post a comment about it

I recently finished the following two books.

1. My life of crime, redemption, and Hollywood, by Danny Trejo. You probably know Danny Trejo from the movies, but this guys life story is pretty incredible.

2. The Fever, by Deon Meyer. Came out in 2019. The story is set in South Africa, about a father and sons survival after a corona virus spreads, killing the majority the human population (I'm not kidding, I picked this book up on a whim at the library, had no idea this was the premise until I started reading ). I'm a sucker for a good post apocalyptic story, and this one was no let down. It's a long one, like 530 pages long, but I had no problem turning the pages.

Last edited by RustyTank; 12-28-2021, 05:08 PM.
    Ryan

1979 GS850G - currently undergoing a major overhaul
    1986 GSX-R750 - I'm figuring it out

I'm a bibliophile. Most recently, I finished Joe Abercrombie's newest, The Wisdom of Crowds, and Scott Lynch's The Lies of Locke Lamora. I read a lot of education periodicals and books, but when I'm at leisure, I tend to read fantasy and sci-fi (and for sci-fi, I'm absolutely bonkers for anything Becky Chambers writes). Patiently waiting for Patrick Rothfuss' next book, as well as anything new by Madelaine Miller.
    "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
    ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
    1982 CB900f

Comment

Latest book read by me was by Patty Sexton. The life of a female motorcycle drag racer.

Thanks for your story Peppermint Patty. I enjoyed it.
      Larry

'79 GS 1000E
      '93 Honda ST 1100 SOLD-- now residing in Arizona.
      '18 Triumph Tiger 800 (gone too soon)
      '19 Triumph Tiger 800 Christmas 2018 to me from me.
      '01 BMW R1100RL project purchased from a friend.

Comment

I'm reading Ted Simon's latest book "Don't Boil The Canary" just released a week or so ago.

It's about his early life before Jupiter's Travels.

I bought 5 copies, and gave them for Christmas presents.

Don't Boil The Canary ...and other words of wisdom gleaned from my interrupted life. An autobiography from the author of Jupiter's Travels.
        Last edited by Kiwi Canuck; 12-27-2021, 12:56 PM.
        2018 Honda Africa Twin AS
        2013 DR 650 Grey, sold 1981 GS 650E Silver,

1980 GS1000ST Blue & White, X2

2012 DL650 Vstrom Foxy Orange, in storage
        1981 CT110 X2 "Postie Bikes" Gone to a New Home.
        2002 BMW 1150 GS Blue & White - Sold
        1975 BMW R90/6 Black - Sold 1984 GS1150EF Sold
        1982 BMW R100 Africa trip, Stolen - Recovered- Sold
        1977-1980 Suzuki GS550, GS1000E, GS1000S GSX750, GSX1100,s
        Hondas ST90, CR125 CB175 , CB350 CB750, NSU Quickly, Yamaha RD's 350/400,

Comment

Well.....I did read Peppermint Patti, ballad of a female motorcycle drag racer.
          "If you scare people enough, they will demand removal of freedom. This is the path to tyranny."
          Elon Musk Jan, 2022

Comment

Originally posted by alke46 View Post
            Latest book read by me was by Patty Sexton. The life of a female motorcycle drag racer.

Originally posted by argonsagas View Post
            Well.....I did read Peppermint Patti, ballad of a female motorcycle drag racer.
            Good to know her book is being purchased and read. I have it saved on my Amazon wish list, just haven't purchased it yet.
            Ryan

Comment

Originally posted by alke46 View Post

Originally posted by Kiwi Canuck View Post
              I'm reading Ted Simon's latest book "Don't Boil The Canary" just released a week or so ago.

It's about his early life before Jupiter's Travels.

https://jupitalia.com/product/dont-boil-the-canary/
              Thanks Kiwi. I wasn't aware of Jupiter's Travels. Both books sound good.
              Ryan

Comment

Originally posted by GS1150Pilot View Post
                I'm a bibliophile. Most recently, I finished Joe Abercrombie's newest, The Wisdom of Crowds, and Scott Lynch's The Lies of Locke Lamora. I read a lot of education periodicals and books, but when I'm at leisure, I tend to read fantasy and sci-fi (and for sci-fi, I'm absolutely bonkers for anything Becky Chambers writes). Patiently waiting for Patrick Rothfuss' next book, as well as anything new by Madelaine Miller.
                I just read the synopsis for The Wisdom of Crowds, it sounds great! The Lies of Locke Lamora also looks interesting. I'm a sci-fi/fantasy fan as well but I've not read enough to know where to turn when I want to start a new book. Thanks for the author and book suggestions Pilot.
                Last edited by RustyTank; 12-28-2021, 01:32 PM.
                Ryan

Comment

The last fiction I read was a David Baldacchi. It was a good one. I like to read. I'll probably do at least 2 books over this holiday period....

The Fredrik Backman novels are all worth a read.

I like the Jack Reacher series by Lee Child for easy reading too.

I also like to read Biographies / Autobiographies and the occasional business book (or things like "Grit" "tipping point" Freakonimics etc)
                  1980 GS1000G - Sold
                  1978 GS1000E - Finished!
                  1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
                  1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
                  2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
                  1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
                  2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Just re-read "Dune" after seeing the movie....
                    Bob T. ~~ Play the GSR weekly photo game: Pic of Week Game
                    '83 GS1100E ~ '24 Triumph Speed 400 ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '67 HONDA CUB

Comment

I have Peppermint Patty’s new book on my night stand. Things have been a bit crazy lately, so just no time to read (except the forum). But I am looking forward to it.
                      Rich
                      1982 GS 750TZ
                      2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
                      Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

OMG!

Here's a line-up I just pulled from my book cubby...

I read:
                        Too much is never enough - Mary L. Trump

Opinion...what can I say, this is what shaped the individual we see today...from his niece.

Books in the wing to start/finish:

Peril - Bob Woodward/Robert Costa
                        Rage - Bob Woodward
                        The Hardest Job In The World - John Dickerson
                        Barack Obama - A Promised Land
                        The Room Where It Happened - John Bolton

Yeah, they're pretty much political books but the years of 2016-2020 were such a blur...lol!

If I get negative feedback, that's fine...you're entitled.

Ed

GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
                        GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
                        GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
                        Originally posted by GSXR7ED
                        Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

Originally posted by GSXR7ED View Post
                          Peril - Bob Woodward/Robert Costa
                          Ed, I recently finished listening to this audiobook. Talk about surreal! Prepare to be entertained, terrified and gob-smacked, lol. I enjoyed it.
                          We have A Promised Land sitting in the house somewhere. Maybe one of these days I'll pick it up.
                          Ryan

Comment

Originally posted by Baatfam View Post
                            Just re-read "Dune" after seeing the movie....
                            I've thought about reading it many times but I've never picked it up. Is it worth a read even after seeing the recent movie?
                            Ryan

Comment

Originally posted by RustyTank View Post
                              Ed, I recently finished listening to this audiobook. Talk about surreal! Prepare to be entertained, terrified and gob-smacked, lol. I enjoyed it.
                              We have A Promised Land sitting in the house somewhere. Maybe one of these days I'll pick it up.
                              That doesn't surprise me...the shock factor went out the window a long time ago with that guy.

Now, Barrack's book is expressed/written very well...from where I've started the first couple of chapters. He's a well spoken individual.

Ed

GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
                              GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
                              GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
                              Originally posted by GSXR7ED
                              Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

Working...
                              X