No announcement yet.

Read a good book lately?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm about two-thirds through the audio book The Godfather. Never read it or saw the movie, and I'm absolutely enjoying it.

I just typed up my 2021 book list. Sixty books (including 21 audio). Several Baldaccis, several Jack Reachers.

Six books I gave my top rating of five stars:
    When the Church was Young | Marcellino D'Ambrosio
    The Lost City of the Monkey God | Douglas Preston
    Waking the Dead | Heather Graham
    My Name Is Asher Lev | Chaim Potok
    Mission Rift | David Woolverton
    The Perfect Predator | Steffanie Strathdee

Danny Trejo's new book is on preorder.

Monkey God
    and Predator are two relatively recent and relevant books. Monkey God is Doug Preston's account of traveling to the remote jungles of Honduras in search of a legendary 500-years-gone lost city, and coming back with a deadly virus, "leishmaniasis". Predator is a similar tale of a man who picks up the world's deadliest bacteria while visiting Egypt. Both are true stories that point to, well, the next big thing to affect the world is going to be microscopic. Prophetic.
    "I have come to believe that all life is precious." -- Eastman, TWD6.4

1999 Triumph Legend 900 TT

Comment

Originally posted by kerrfunk View Post
      I'm about two-thirds through the audio book The Godfather. Never read it or saw the movie, and I'm absolutely enjoying it.
      Wow! Don (Vito) Corleone is where I got one of my favorite quotes: "Life is so beautiful."

But I was also imagining what it was like when Luca Brasi dismembered a man with an axe.

And The Campaign: "We're out of Honey Nut Cheerios."

I could never go audio. When I read The Godfather or especially The Great Gatsby, I sometimes will read and re-read favorite passages, spending much time drawling over the words, even though I can 'speed' read.
      Last edited by Rob S.; 12-30-2021, 04:55 PM.
      1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Last fiction I read was The Da Vinci Code back in 2003/4, since then I've only read non fiction.

The last book I completed was A Brief History of Everyone Who Ever Lived(genetics), I loved it I'll probably read it again as there was so much info to absorb.

Over xmas I've begun reading The Oxford Handbook of Archaeology, very technical it certainly doesn't meet anyone's definition of a gripping "page turner" lol, but it was my major in Uni and I like to keep up to date on the latest in anthropology.
        1979 CBX, AW440 Maico, GS1150EF

Comment

Remeber Paul's 'grandfather' in A Hard Day's Night? Talking to Ringo:

'A boook? What do you need with a boook? Get out there and live!'
          1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Something interesting, and outright hilarious if your family roots go back to UK.

"Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
            1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
            1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
            1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

Originally posted by Baatfam View Post
              Just re-read "Dune" after seeing the movie....
              I read the entire series long ago before my kids were born, put them in a box and stored them away. Clearing old stuff from storage I came across the entire set they were about 40yrs old at that time, I asked my sci fi loving daughter if she wanted them, nope, so I put them and an entire box of books into recycle. Ten years goes by and she says they're now very "collectible" and could she have them.

Comment

I'm reading " The Queen of the North Disaster " written by the Captain ..... A friend of mine who worked at Coast Guard knows him well, so I heard a lot of the skinny on things while the case was going down . I'm interested in his story ......
                Old age and treachery will beat youth and skill every time
                Originally Posted by Schweisshund I mean, sure, guns were used in some of these mass shootings, but not all of them
                1983 GS 750

Comment

Originally posted by bccap View Post
                  I'm reading " The Queen of the North Disaster " written by the Captain ..... A friend of mine who worked at Coast Guard knows him well, so I heard a lot of the skinny on things while the case was going down . I'm interested in his story ......
                  https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/...north-disaster
                  Looks good bccap. That's goin on the list. Thanks for sharing.
                  Ryan

1979 GS850G - currently undergoing a major overhaul
                  1986 GSX-R750 - I'm figuring it out

Comment

Originally posted by bccap View Post
                    https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/...north-disaster
                    It's true what they say about degrees of separation between any two people on the planet, my nephew played an important part of the BC ferries investigation.

Comment

Originally posted by Rob S. View Post
                      Wow! Don (Vito) Corleone is where I got one of my favorite quotes: "Life is so beautiful."

But I was also imagining what it was like when Luca Brasi dismembered a man with an axe.

And The Campaign: "We're out of Honey Nut Cheerios."

I could never go audio. When I read The Godfather or especially The Great Gatsby, I sometimes will read and re-read favorite passages, spending much time drawling over the words, even though I can 'speed' read.
                      I finished The Godfather today, and laughed out loud at the last paragraph. Also the part about Apollinia got me in all the feels.
                      I'll watch the movie next week.
                      I enjoyed listening to the book -- I listen to a lot of books and this was nicely done. I might've been distracted trying to read all the names.

Comment

Originally posted by kerrfunk View Post
                        I finished The Godfather today, and laughed out loud at the last paragraph. Also the part about Apollinia got me in all the feels.
                        I'll watch the movie next week.
                        I enjoyed listening to the book -- I listen to a lot of books and this was nicely done. I might've been distracted trying to read all the names.
                        My "wow!" still goes. No offense, but what rock were you living under? Can anyone name a movie that was more ubiquitous in the '70's?

Seriously, where were you living? I was 15 when The Godfather (movie) came out. You're only a few years younger than me, correct? Spoiler alert: it's a very good movie.

Comment

My "wow!" still goes. No offense, but what rock were you living under? Can anyone name a movie that was more ubiquitous in the '70's?

Seriously, where were you living? I was 15 when The Godfather (movie) came out. You're only a few years younger than me, correct? Spoiler alert: it's a very good movie.
                          The movie was released two months before I was born. I watched Star Wars in the theaters, and ET, and I remember being scared of Yoda's swamp planet in Empire. And in the 80s we watched Blues Brothers and Stripes and Animal House and Pink Floyd The Wall and Monty Python and the Holy Grail. Those were our movies.

Comment

Recently picked up One Summer, America 1927 by Bill Bryson. Am only part way through it right now but he really gives you a feel for what the roaring 20s were like before the market crash of 29. He covers the history of flight in America, Lindbergh's first flight across the Atlantic, Babe Ruth's rise to fame, Al Capone, Mount Rushmore and much more. Very well researched and entertaining to read.

Comment

Originally posted by Phred View Post
                              Recently picked up One Summer, America 1927 by Bill Bryson. Am only part way through it right now but he really gives you a feel for what the roaring 20s were like before the market crash of 29. He covers the history of flight in America, Lindbergh's first flight across the Atlantic, Babe Ruth's rise to fame, Al Capone, Mount Rushmore and much more. Very well researched and entertaining to read.
                              Ever read The Great Gatsby? 'Historical-type fiction set in the summer of 1922 not too far from where I live. One of my favorites; it does not, however, translate well to film. There was even a movie, "F. Scott Fitzgerald in Hollywood," (starring Gregory Peck), that dealt with the trouble Scott had writing screenplays.

Comment

It has not proved to be as enduring but I suspect that, at the time, "The Exorcist" may have eclipsed it.

As to hiding under rocks...I have not read or seen either of them all the way through, but only saw portions on TV.
                                "If you scare people enough, they will demand removal of freedom. This is the path to tyranny."
                                Elon Musk Jan, 2022

Comment

Working...
                                X