Read a good book lately?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by argonsagas View Post
    It has not proved to be as enduring but I suspect that, at the time, "The Exorcist" may have eclipsed it.
    Certainly was more controversial. Saw that during it's original theater run (late '73?). Me and a buddy dropped acid an hour before.
    1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Originally posted by Phred View Post
      Recently picked up One Summer, America 1927 by Bill Bryson. Am only part way through it right now but he really gives you a feel for what the roaring 20s were like before the market crash of 29. He covers the history of flight in America, Lindbergh's first flight across the Atlantic, Babe Ruth's rise to fame, Al Capone, Mount Rushmore and much more. Very well researched and entertaining to read.
      I don't know a whole heck of a lot about that period of time Phred, and I've heard good things about Bryson's books for years. Thank you for the recommendation, it's goin on my list.
      Ryan

1979 GS850G - currently undergoing a major overhaul
      1986 GSX-R750 - I'm figuring it out

Comment

Originally posted by Rob S. View Post
        Saw that during it's original theater run (late '73?). Me and a buddy dropped acid an hour before.
        Oh my
        Ryan

Comment

Originally posted by Rob S. View Post
          Certainly was more controversial. Saw that during it's original theater run (late '73?). Me and a buddy dropped acid an hour before.
          Originally posted by RustyTank View Post
          Oh my
          It was like a bravery test. Never had the balls to listen to Revolution #9 alone in a darkened room, though. That could be a one way trip!
          1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Originally posted by GS1150Pilot View Post
            I'm a bibliophile. Most recently, I finished Joe Abercrombie's newest, The Wisdom of Crowds...
            lol, I didn't realize The Wisdom of Crowds was part of a trilogy until I brought it home from the library. You liked the series as a whole? I just put the first book A Little Hatred on hold, should be available in the next few days.
            Ryan

Comment

Originally posted by RustyTank View Post
              lol, I didn't realize The Wisdom of Crowds was part of a trilogy until I brought it home from the library. You liked the series as a whole? I just put the first book A Little Hatred on hold, should be available in the next few days.
              I love Abercrombie's work. You may want to start with the earlier series, which takes place only a few decades before the events in the newer trilogy, but has one of the more endearing berserkers in any storyline I can recall. Logen Ninefingers is his name. Read The Blade Itself, and go from there.
              "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
              ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
              1982 CB900f

Comment

I've been reading a collection of 66 books for the last 15 years or so. It's conveniently bound into one book making it much easier to carry around and flip back and forth between the books within. I guess by now I've read the whole collection a few times, most recently, and quite fitting for the season, is Matthew.

Another recent book I've enjoyed is Lucky Man, by Michael J Fox.
                Roger

Current rides
                1983 GS 850G
                2003 FJR 1300A
                Gone but not forgotten 1985 Rebel 250, 1991 XT225, 2004 KLR650, 1981 GS850G, 1982 GS1100GL, 2002 DL1000, 2005 KLR650, 2003 KLX400

Comment

I had to read the Bible in Sunday school and really didn't enjoy it. Years later, I took a course called "Literature of the Bible," which treated the book as the myth, fantasy, and fable it is, and it became much more interesting-especially after we started reading other works of fiction to compare (C.S. Lewis's Narnia series, Tolkien's work, The Book of the Dun Cow, etc.). I know that for some, the Bible is a religious and sacred text, but it never really held up in that way for me. Aslan or Galdalf as an analogue to Jesus, though, and then you get some stuff that is interesting to look at.
                  ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
                  1982 CB900f

Comment

Speaking of books that got my attention when I was younger, this one is a great little read:

~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
                    1982 CB900f

Comment

I never had to read the Bible, but chose to as an adult. It makes a big difference, I think, in one's perspective to approach something like that. I respect that it never really held up for many folks as religious or sacred text, but for many, myself included, it has. Different strokes for different folks. I find it inspirational.

Edit- to say it is simply inspirational is quite an understatement. It's much much more.
                      Last edited by Burque73; 01-08-2022, 04:56 PM.
                      Roger

Current rides
                      1983 GS 850G
                      2003 FJR 1300A
                      Gone but not forgotten 1985 Rebel 250, 1991 XT225, 2004 KLR650, 1981 GS850G, 1982 GS1100GL, 2002 DL1000, 2005 KLR650, 2003 KLX400

Comment

I know that a lot of people do. I find the Old Testament disgusting, and though there is some good in the New Testament, I find just as much inspiration if not more in the writings of real people like the Dalai Lama and Thich Nhat Hanh. So much of the Bible is so fantastical as to not be able to read as anything but fantasy, and there is better fantasy-with messages just as clear about good vs evil in Tolkien or Pullman, etc.. But I can definitely see that many really love the Bible for various reasons, and if it helps them become better people, that has to be a good thing.
                        ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
                        1982 CB900f

Comment

Sister book "1493" is also great. Both interesting and informative.
                          1983 GS 1100 Guided Laser
                          1983 GS 1100 G
                          2000 Suzuki Intruder 1500, "Piggy Sue"
                          2000 GSF 1200 Bandit (totaled in deer strike)
                          1986 Suzuki Cavalcade GV 1400 LX (SOLD)

I find working on my motorcycle mildly therapeutic when I'm not cursing.

Comment

Finished this one up:

Now onto this one:

Both are pretty good reads, definitely geared more towards the mother but I'm finding it very very helpful. My wife and I are sharing the book so it's been interesting to talk about the pregnancy and now the planning and readiness that comes in the first year.

I'm not much of a book reader however I have been giving more of an effort to take eyes of the phone and more so on books.

As for good reads recently

I did read the Cryptonomicon which was a BEAST for me but god it was good.

Also Enjoyed reading the 7 habits of highly effective people.

Once I get done with the what to expect series... I'm looking forward to reading Anthony Bordain's Kitchen confidential
                            Jedz Moto
                            1980 Suzuki GS1000G
                            1988 Honda GL1500-6
                            2018 Triumph Bonneville T120-
                            2020 Honda Monkey Z125
                            2001 Honda Insight - 65MPG
                            Originally posted by Hayabuser
                            Cool is defined differently by different people... I'm sure the new rider down the block thinks his Ninja 250 is cool and why shouldn't he? Bikes are just cool.

Comment

Aside from reading some fun fantasy fiction, I'm reading this right now:
                              ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
                              1982 CB900f

Comment

Originally posted by Jedz123 View Post

I did read the Cryptonomicon which was a BEAST for me but god it was good.

This one's a worthy read, same author!

https://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/fal...son/1129745518

1980 Yamaha XS1100G (Current bike)
                                1982 GS450txz (former bike)
                                LONG list of previous bikes not listed here.

These aren't my words, I just arrange them

Comment

Working...
                                X