Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Retirement; Thoughts, Advice, Things to know.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
    This is frightening. Anyone else have hard and fast numbers regarding how much health insurance will cost? HMO like Kaiser?
    It is only one data point, but five years ago, when I was forced to retire, we carried private insurance about 7-8 months, until my wife found a job that would cover us. Best we found was through Farm Bureau, here in Tennessee. Even with very high detectable plan, it cost us $1600 a month.
    That was for the two of us. It was twice our mortgage payment.
    Last edited by Baatfam; 12-28-2021, 11:35 AM.
    Bob T. ~~ Play the GSR weekly photo game: Pic of Week Game
    '83 GS1100E ~ '24 Triumph Speed 400 ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '67 HONDA CUB

Comment

Originally posted by Baatfam View Post
      It is only one data point, but bive years ago, when I was forced to retire, we carried private insurance about 7-8 months, until my wife found a job that would cover us. Best we found was through Farm Bureau, here in Tennessee. Even with very high detectable plan, it cost us $1600 a month.
      That was for the two of us. It was twice our mortgage payment.
      Yikes!

My mother is in SoCal/Inland Empire and has mentioned how expensive PPOs cost!

She has no retirement plan so created her own portfolio through the years…she peaked as a Trust Officer before retiring and does her own trading but also has financial advisor.

Ed Nessism is in Southern California so he’s not joking about the prices out there! Holy Mackerel!!!

Ed

GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
      GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
      GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
      Originally posted by GSXR7ED
      Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

Originally posted by Kiwi Canuck View Post
        I can give a bit of insight here but like Trevor I'm in Canada, so most info is transferable except the cost of healthcare which I understand can be expensive in USA.Old age care can be expensive even in Canada, depending on the level of care required, many places here are $6,000 to $10,000 per month for full care in a nicer place with a good nurse to resident ratio, how long should you budget for that and how much is it going to be in 20 years?
        This is something I know a little about having gone through it with my mother when it became time for her to get extended care .... My brother is on the island so he handled the research and funding and then had me go to the homes to hear their pitch and assess them ..... We had budgeted $8.500 a month and the average price I was quoted was closer to $7,500 ..... One day he called and suggested we see what the government had to offer .....So I did .... You get to pick three locations and they offer one of them ..... In our case it was your town Langley ...... They aren't government run they are private just like the other ones but paid for by the government .... I was astounded when I checked out the facility .... Brand new and far superior to the private ones I had thus far viewed ..... The way it works is they take a percentage of the tenant's pension income but don't touch any cash or investments they have ..... Doesn't matter whether you have a richly funded pension or no pension... It works the same for everybody ..... This freed up funds to hire a car service called " Driving Miss Daisy " to give a ride to one of her girlfriends { in Abbotsford } to visit her four times a week and give her some compensation for doing it ..... The biggest killer in old age homes is loneliness ..... Every three or four { I forget which } months the family was called in for a board meeting attended by the heads of all departments to discuss everything from the menu and diet to medication and entertainment ..... I was really impressed with how it was run .....
        Last edited by bccap; 12-28-2021, 12:39 PM. Reason: spelling
        Old age and treachery will beat youth and skill every time
        Originally Posted by Schweisshund I mean, sure, guns were used in some of these mass shootings, but not all of them
        1983 GS 750

Comment

Remember that "Seldelen" (Steve) guy? The guy that moved to Mexico. I wonder how he is doing? They say your money goes farther living in Mexico. Probably not as good Healthcare. But hey, if you're healthy and don't have family...🤔
          My Motorcycles:
          22 Kawasaki Z900 RS (Candy Tone Blue)
          22 BMW K1600GT (Probably been to a town near you)
          82 1100e Drag Bike (needs race engine)
          81 1100e Street Bike (with race engine)
          79 1000e (all original)
          82 850g (all original)
          80 KZ 650F (needs restored)

Comment

Originally posted by storm 64 View Post
            Lots of sage advice here. Health insurance seems to be the major factor in planning for retirement. It seem there are so many different scenarios that it is impossible to follow one guideline. For me, retirement may be in the distance future.
            However a career change may not be. Going to the same machine shop for the last 32 years is getting old. And now with the new ownership of the company, everything is about to change. Hopefully for the better, we'll see. For now, I'll hang in there. But I'm "a bad day at work" till I move on...
            I'm never going to complain about the higher taxes we pay as Canadians compared to the US.
            No signature

Comment

Originally posted by trevor View Post
              I'm never going to complain about the higher taxes we pay as Canadians compared to the US.
              I wouldn't either but we don't ......
              Old age and treachery will beat youth and skill every time
              Originally Posted by Schweisshund I mean, sure, guns were used in some of these mass shootings, but not all of them
              1983 GS 750

Comment

Originally posted by storm 64 View Post
                Remember that "Seldelen" (Steve) guy? The guy that moved to Mexico. I wonder how he is doing? They say your money goes farther living in Mexico. Probably not as good Healthcare. But hey, if you're healthy and don't have family...樂
                I seem to recall that he moved to Colombia.
                1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Originally posted by bccap View Post
                  I wouldn't either but we don't ......
                  https://www.investopedia.com/financi...americans.aspx
                  Wow..................
                  No signature

Comment

Lots of interesting things to consider.

I retired from engineering a few years ago and now work as a part-time business administrator for a small charity. We couldn't hire during the pandemic so I ending up taking on too much work, We will re-balance the work load in the spring (if Covid is willing) so I can go back to two or three days a week and spend more time with the bike and home repairs. My wife retired from teaching last year and needs to find something to keep herself busy. When she thinks it's safe to go out again some lucky organization will have an enthusiastic and valuable volunteer. We are fortunate that we each have pensions and that my former employer provides a basic benefits plan for employees that had over 25 years of service. We are both relatively healthy (so far). Heart disease runs rampant with the men in my family but the women in my wife's family tend to live long healthy lives.

My big issue is financial planning. I fired my advisor from a well-known Canadian investment firm because he didn't care enough about my investments to even give me a call when a long-term investment matured. He then dumped my account on a junior advisor who also didn't care. I don't think they even noticed when I transferred my accounts to an online brokerage. I have a draft financial plan from a fee-for-service guy that needs further work. We need to figure out the most tax-efficient way to draw down retirement savings while still working part-time and then leave enough in case of catastrophic illness. A critical age in Canada is 71, which is the last year that registered retirement savings plans (RRSP) must be converted to registered retirement income funds (RRIF) and they both have tax implications. Good long-term care in Ontario tends to be very scarce and stupidly expensive. My wife's family has two people in financial services but I don't think either of them need to know our personal business.

We also need to update wills and powers of attorney for medical and financial care. The last big update happened when we still had minor children. The youngest guy is now 31 so we are a bit over-due. It's easiest to think that the updates will be done "next week", which never comes.

Jim
                    1981 GS550T (Long gone)
                    1983 GS650G (Rolling rebuild is now a full rebuild.)

Comment

All you dudes seem to be in sound financial shape with another decade to make sure. Lot of boasting…as per usual.
                      What about how you're gonna feel after you retire? What's gonna happen to your friends and family circles?
                      I'm 68 this year and I'm not worried about money, I'm worried about my people.
                      I'm watching some decline faster than others, I worry about them.
                      I hear about my icons dying and look at their age. I look at the age of my oldest friend 88, and ask her about aging. Her entire generation is gone. How would you process that?
                      It reads like a slo-mo casualty report from a combat zone.
                      Work on keeping your heart above cold water.
                      "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
                      1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
                      1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
                      1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

Originally posted by Buffalo Bill View Post
                        All you dudes seem to be in sound financial shape with another decade to make sure. Lot of boasting…as per usual.
                        What about how you're gonna feel after you retire? What's gonna happen to your friends and family circles?
                        I hear about my icons dying and look at their age. I look at the age of my oldest friend 88, and ask her about aging. Her entire generation is gone. How would you process that?
                        Well in the close friends I hang out with I’m pretty much the youngest. At 56 a lot of my riding buddies are in their 60s... my neighbour that I’m close with is 70.
                        The good thing is that most of them are very active and take care of themselves.
                        I started going to a personal trainer 3 years ago so that I can hopefully be around longer and be able to ride my motorcycles far into the future.
                        Living out here on the island has changed my life from being in Sw Ontario.. the lifestyle here is way more healthy. Best thing I’ve done for myself was moving here 17.5 years ago
                        No signature

Comment

Originally posted by Buffalo Bill View Post

You are correct. I'm not too worried financially, as long as we stay healthy and don't need long term care. I was born when my parents were in their mid 30s so most of that generation is already gone. Most of our friends are roughly the same age as us and some are starting to complain about age and diet related decline like arthritis, blood pressure and diabetes. And definitely get a shingles vaccination. One friend has lingering effects three years after his run-in with shingles. I really think the big thing is to stay physically and mentally active as long as possible. I plan to move to part-time work next year and start training replacements so I can completely retire in 2023. After full retirement I will continue to volunteer and maybe reactivate a couple of dormant hobbies. My son needs help renovating things, my bike is in pieces again and I have several musical instruments that need more attention.

You are also correct about the icons. My childhood heroes were astronauts and I listened to a lot of rock and blues in the 1970s. The rock lifestyle took a lot of them way too young and the survivors are getting into their 80s now.

Jim
                          1981 GS550T (Long gone)
                          1983 GS650G (Rolling rebuild is now a full rebuild.)

Comment

This thread has provided PLENTY of feedback and I appreciate it.

My take is, everyone brings a unique situation to this subject. Lots of things to consider...because of course, no one individual has everything covered. But the thoughts put in this thread generate other ideas and branch off for other considerations.

I want to thank all members who read and decide to inject their thoughts on this subject.

Ed

GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
                            GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
                            GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
                            Originally posted by GSXR7ED
                            Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

Retire? Is it mandatory?

IF you are single then why not get a highly-educated, gorgeous woman thirty years your junior who loves you.....and then start over?
                              "If you scare people enough, they will demand removal of freedom. This is the path to tyranny."
                              Elon Musk Jan, 2022

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
                                This is frightening. Anyone else have hard and fast numbers regarding how much health insurance will cost? HMO like Kaiser?

Then there is supplemental insurance in case of serious injury or illness.

And managed care living when the end is near.

My 401k is approaching my goal (almost got there a while back before the recent market "correction.") I get a small pension from a previous company which I'm already drawing. And I've got a cash reserve and some good equity in my home. Plan is to sell the home and move out of CA, where I can pay cash for some new place and have money left over. Ideally I'll execute this plan at 62 or 63. I don't live an extravagant life style; give me a decent low maintenance home w/large workshop and I'll be happy.

Maybe I can help... I've always paid my own insurance here. If I was single it would be around $600-$700 monthly for a Kaiser silver HMO through the exchange. You're older so it would be more $100-$200 probably but keep in mind that in retirement you won't be earning as much money (also you won't be paying as much tax in $$ or %% terms) so very likely that some of the costs will be covered for you....
                                My costs for whole family through the exchange went down from something like $1250 to $900 this year with the way the exchange works.
                                Also remember that as soon as you hit the right age you get a double bonus.... Medicare brings the price down & you start to draw your Gov pension. Apart from medicine in general you need less and less money as you age after a certain point.

For anyone who hasn't found him yet this guy has some good ideas & some interesting things to read https://www.mrmoneymustache.com/ (He's Canadian but living in the US). Approach with an open mind!

For anyone looking to use the stock market.... 4% is still a pretty safe withdrawal rate if you want to maintain the capital (as long as you have it invested in something like VTI).

For anyone looking to retire and keep working - It has to be worth an approach to your existing employer. If you're a valuable part of the team keeping you on the job 2-3 days a week is a cheap way for them to keep knowledge in the business.

Anyone on here who has met me will likely be surprised that I know anything about retirement (I'm 43) but I've been working for many years already to be in a financially independent position as early as I can (to allow me more time to travel & ride motorbikes before I get too old ).

I aim to be done (at least to the part time or "work to pay for my toys & holidays" point) as soon as my kids are independent or sooner if I can.
                                Last edited by salty_monk; 12-28-2021, 06:37 PM.
                                1980 GS1000G - Sold
                                1978 GS1000E - Finished!
                                1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
                                1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
                                2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
                                1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
                                2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Working...
                                X