Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Electrical system is awake...next step drain carbs or full clean?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Electrical system is awake...next step drain carbs or full clean?

Hi Folks,

I feel like I'm starting to get somewhere with my first ever project bike (it was a "ran when parked but bring a trailer" situation).

There is power to all the lights, the gear shift indicator, the starter, etc. (I have gained a new respect for contact cleaner). Now I want to focus on getting the engine running before rebuilding the brakes, changing cables, etc. I'm not sure what to do next.

The guy I bought the bike from said he had rebuilt the carbs before it sat. However, the fuel tank was in rough shape, and the gas was dark brown and smelled bad (I still need to restore the tank, but how well I restore it will depend on whether I can get the bike running). Anyway, today I drained one of the carbs and got some pretty foul-smelling gasoline but nothing like what came out of the fuel tank.

Should I drain the other 3 carbs, still on the bike, and see if I can get it the engine to run using a "temporary" fuel tank? Or do I need to go ahead and pull the carbs for a full cleaning right away...or at least clean the float bowls?

Thanks!
    Drew

1981 GS650L (one step at a time...lots to do)
    1994 Honda Shadow VLX (for sale in spring)
    2011 Suzuki DL650

Well, you can't do any harm by hooking up a temp tank to see if she runs. But first, open up the oil fill and give it a sniff. If the petcock has gone bad, (and many of them do) you could have had gas leaking past your cylinders into the crankcase. If the oil smells of gas, it could be diluted and thin.

BTW, welcome to the forum from another Drew!

1983 GS750ED-Horsetraded for the Ironhead
    1981 HD XLH

Drew's 850 L Restoration

Drew's 83 750E Project

Comment

You’ll save yourself more time in the long run if you pull the carbs and properly disassemble, clean, and replace orings per Nessism’s guide now.
      sigpic
      Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
      1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's
      2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
      Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
      and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Yes, bite the bullet now and get those carbs off for cleaning….avoid frustration in starting attempts with gummed up carbs…..or starter fluid
        1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

From your description of thick goop in bowls, there probably is thicker stuff in carb small passages that will need to be cleaned out. ANd a proper cleaning, dissasembly, soak in carb dip 24 hours each. Not just spray carb cleaner here and there.

But if you want to prove it to yourself, yah, drain the carb bowls, and try to get it to run. Will be good expereince. Maybe it might run on full choke only and maybe not all cyclinders heating up. Or maybe it might only sputter and backfire.

Hey... have wee seen pics of this 650?
          Typically we require to see pics before givening any advice.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
          GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Carb rebuild tutorial and Newbie Mistakes thread are linked in my signature. Please go through these to see what you are up against.

Personally, I won't even attempt to start the bike until the valves are adjusted and the carbs properly refreshed.

Realize that we are talking a GS, so it's extremely unlikely that you will have any engine mechanical issues (unless the valves were neglected.)

Regarding the tank, you first need to remove the varnish, and then attack any rust that may present itself under the varnish. It's a one-two process. You can't do both at the same time.

Good luck
            Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Count me as another vote in the "pull the carbs and give them a proper cleaning" category. Based on other info, it is extremely likely the idle circuit passages and tiny jet holes are clogged. I've tried to start some without carb cleaning, but it's super rare you'll get that lucky.

Anecdotally, I tried the non-cleaning approach one time with a GoldWing that also had a blown starter clutch. The kids were not too happy when I asked them to help me push it back up the hill after yet another failed bump start.

Re: Nessism comment about valves, I don't always do the valves before that first test start. It's always satisfying to hear it come to life, even if it's not perfect.
              Current rides: GS650L, GS550T, GL500, GL1100, Bonnie, Triumph Adventurer, Guzzi California

Comment

Thanks everyone...this forum is great! This seems like a perfect time to learn how to clean carbs and check valve clearances, and all of the resources from generous folks are really going to help.

As far as photos of my bike, Rich82GS750TZ helped me post one when I did my intro message (the "top case" had to be retired), but I had too much fun riding my other bikes to work on the GS until winter finally hit. Here is a more recent pic.

p.s. I'm glad I found a cheaper source for kerosene...I'm planning to spend a lot of time in the garage this winter
                Drew

2011 Suzuki DL650

Comment

Originally posted by DrewGS View Post
                  Thanks everyone...this forum is great! This seems like a perfect time to learn how to clean carbs and check valve clearances, and all of the resources from generous folks are really going to help.

As far as photos of my bike, Rich82GS750TZ helped me post one when I did my intro message (the "top case" had to be retired), but I had too much fun riding my other bikes to work on the GS until winter finally hit. Here is a more recent pic.

p.s. I'm glad I found a cheaper source for kerosene...I'm planning to spend a lot of time in the garage this winter
                  For me, the nastiest part of checking valve clearances is getting the petrified gasket material off the valve cover and cyl head. That is my least favorite part of rescuing these old bikes, which is why I test for basic engine firing before doing the valve check.
                  Current rides: GS650L, GS550T, GL500, GL1100, Bonnie, Triumph Adventurer, Guzzi California

Comment

How can "basic engine firing" be performed when the engine may have valves hanging open from neglected maintenance? The 2V GS engines have incredibly tight valve clearances so there isn't a whole lot of tolerance for abuse in that regard.
                    Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Very good advice around here, a good complete cleaning & replacement of gaskets "O" rings & stuff will assure you everything is correct, even if all they really needed was a shot of starting fluid. Valves have got to be checked, I can't think of any possible benefit to waiting till later...Good luck & keep us updated.
                      1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

me personally id do a carb rebuild, kbs coatings has a really good rebuild kit but if i were you i would just clean the tank out and not seal it, whatever stuff they use to clean it is amazing because my tank was spotless.

these carbs are really easy to rebuild as they all use the same exact parts so you cant mismatch with any serious repercussion, what i will say though is you will want to note the carb body and the corresponding floats so you dont have to reset the float or fuel height if they were correct beforehand.
                        Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
                        1982 XS650

Comment

Originally posted by timebombprod View Post
                          me personally id do a carb rebuild, kbs coatings has a really good rebuild kit but if i were you i would just clean the tank out and not seal it, whatever stuff they use to clean it is amazing because my tank was spotless.

these carbs are really easy to rebuild as they all use the same exact parts so you cant mismatch with any serious repercussion, what i will say though is you will want to note the carb body and the corresponding floats so you dont have to reset the float or fuel height if they were correct beforehand.
                          .....just found out people have already replied to this.

for the valve adjustments you can literally use a ziptie to get enough clearance to pull the shim out.
                          Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
                          1982 XS650

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
                            How can "basic engine firing" be performed when the engine may have valves hanging open from neglected maintenance? The 2V GS engines have incredibly tight valve clearances so there isn't a whole lot of tolerance for abuse in that regard.
                            I guess every bike and mechanic is different. Some are more patient & methodical than others, seems like I fall into the less patient end of the spectrum.

For my current $250 GS650L project, I did the test fire yesterday after cleaning the carbs and replacing the air filter, but not checking the valves, It started, idled, and revved up and down correctly. This confirmed that the engine isn't DOA, without the time and hassle of dealing with a petrified valve cover gasket. It only has 12k miles, so even if the valves were never checked they should be at least close, unlike a high mileage bike that potentially never had a valve check. Now I'll pull the valve cover and start the gasket removal ordeal.

Agreed there is a risk of a valve being frozen open, are the 8v GS's interference engines? You can pull the plugs, manually crank the engine, and look through the spark pugs holes to check for issues.

I've resurrected early 80's Goldwings and CX/GLs, which do have an interference engine design (at least the Goldwings do). I always check the valves on those, but the task is simpler since Honda uses an easily replaceable rubber valve cover gasket rather than Suzuki's fiber gasket.
                            Last edited by sacruickshank; 12-29-2021, 09:27 AM.

Comment

Now that CycleORings.com has ceased operations, has anyone found a good alternative? It looks like the next step would be to order o-rings in each of the sizes shown on the guide?
                              Drew

2011 Suzuki DL650

Comment

Working...
                              X