Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Electrical system is awake...next step drain carbs or full clean?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DrewGS View Post
    Now that CycleORings.com has ceased operations, has anyone found a good alternative? It looks like the next step would be to order o-rings in each of the sizes shown on the guide?
    I used the ebay source that has been mentioned in other threads about oring availability. Delivery and quality seem fine, but it is difficult to differentiate between some of the rings that have similar but slightly different sizes. Image below shows the combined orings for the fuel tee, fuel transfer tubes, vent tee, and bowl drain. I ended up not trying to differentiate them and everything seems fine so far.

PXL_20211226_221508627.jpg
    Current rides: GS650L, GS550T, GL500, GL1100, Bonnie, Triumph Adventurer, Guzzi California

Comment

Originally posted by sacruickshank View Post
      I used the ebay source that has been mentioned in other threads about oring availability.
      Ah...I missed all of that discussion - thanks! Parts are on order.

p.s. The seller had a photo of Prince on his Hondamatic.
      Drew

1981 GS650L (one step at a time...lots to do)
      1994 Honda Shadow VLX (for sale in spring)
      2011 Suzuki DL650

Comment

Well...it turns out there would have been no reason to try and start the bike. Things are much worse that I was expecting. Carbs are very dirty and I'm running into some problems.

It's looking like the guy who worked on the carbs didn't know about JIS screwdrivers. Almost all of the bracket screws had stripped heads, so I used the trick from the guide and the forum.

After lots of time and tapping, they finally all came out (I plan to replace them all with hex bolts).

When I opened the first carb, things looked pretty rough. The slide hardly moves, and everything is coated in varnish. The thing that concerns me the most is seeing this stripped head. I'm not sure what this is called, but it holds the clip that prevents that jet from coming out. Any recommendations? I don't think I can fit vice grips in that small opening. Can I throw the whole thing into the ultrasonic to try and loosen things up, or will that hurt the diaphragm? I can't get the slide and diaphragm out the way things are now.

Drew

2011 Suzuki DL650

Comment

Cut a slot in that screw with a dremel to fit a flat blade screwdriver then spray a few rounds of PB Blaster in there just to be safe before removing it.
          sigpic
          Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
          1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's
          2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
          Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
          and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

A set of Vessel Impacto screwdrivers are great for removing stuck carb screws.

Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
              A set of Vessel Impacto screwdrivers are great for removing stuck carb screws.
              Yeah - I have been using one, but this screw was already stripped before I started. I'm going to break down and buy a Dremel today. I used an oscillating tool for the bracket screws, but that seems way too clunky for inside the carb.
              Drew

2011 Suzuki DL650

Comment

Originally posted by DrewGS View Post
                Yeah - I have been using one, but this screw was already stripped before I started. I'm going to break down and buy a Dremel today. I used an oscillating tool for the bracket screws, but that seems way too clunky for inside the carb.
                One of my carbs had the same screw stuck, although the crosshead had not been butchered by a previous wrencher. You may want to put the carb into an ultrasonic filled with PB blaster. I buy it by the gallon and re-use whenever possible.

Also, they make needle nose vice grips in various sizes that might help.

Or cut a slot with a dremel tool as mentioned by others.
                Current rides: GS650L, GS550T, GL500, GL1100, Bonnie, Triumph Adventurer, Guzzi California

Comment

Working...
                X