No announcement yet.

BC Deepfreeze!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Our garbage collection got cancelled today....lol..quite a place we live.
    No signature

Comment

Originally posted by trevor View Post
      Sounds like New York. When it snows heavy, they put plows and chains on the trucks and they don't collect garbage.

I remember the brouhaha in the '60's when Mayor Lindsay didn't get the plows out quick enough and everyone said it cost him the Presidency. (This was way back when there was such a thing as a "Liberal Republican." He ran as an independent, later switched to the Dems, and was considered a front runner for the Presidential candidacy. Then he didn't clear the streets quick enough. Feb. 9-10, 1969. A full week off from school!)
      1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

HA! Yeah, we got snow dumped on us as well. Our garbage collection was pushed out to next week down here Trevor.
        Ryan

1979 GS850G - currently undergoing a major overhaul
        1986 GSX-R750 - I'm figuring it out

Comment

So was ours and we don't even have any snow .....Whusses .......
          Old age and treachery will beat youth and skill every time
          Originally Posted by Schweisshund I mean, sure, guns were used in some of these mass shootings, but not all of them
          1983 GS 750

Comment

Originally posted by RustyTank View Post
            HA! Yeah, we got snow dumped on us as well. Our garbage collection was pushed out to next week down here Trevor.
            Hardly happened in Ontario.... lol

No signature

Comment

Originally posted by Sandy View Post
              We got a bit of a chill happening here. -29c (-20f) and about 18" of snow in last 48 hours.

Our Place 2021 by soates50, on Flickr
              What stands out is the 18” of snow with a long double width driveway. This area received the tail end of that storm, about 6”. Ours and my 99 year old neighbours shovelling/blowing took 3 hours. We like that though.
              Last edited by DaveR; 12-29-2021, 10:59 AM.
              1979 GS1000
              1981 GL500 Interstate

Comment

Originally posted by DaveR View Post
                What stands out is the 18” of snow with a long double width driveway. This area received the tail end of that storm, about 6”. Ours and my 99 year old neighbours shovelling/blowing took 3 hours. We like that though.
                Weather can be very different, not only geographically, but at different times and/or years.

I used to live a few miles north of Toronto and commonly got what you show in the photo. The house was on a cul-de-sac and the wind seemed to swirl just for me, and dump sometimes two or three times the amount of snow that my neighbours got.

The worst snowfall we got was after a very windy night that left all roads closed in the town. I am not sure if the photo is still around but there was one of me holding a yardstick in the snow. It measured thirty-two inches on my driveway and only five inches with my neighbour, directly across the street. the street itself was blocked entirely, so, when they got their own driveways cleaned out, the neighbours gathered at my house to help out. Coffee with various alcoholic mixes was absorbed........ No one felt cold, and no one drove anywhere that day.

The widest temperature difference (and the coldest day we had while I lived there) was one morning when it was -25F /-32C as I left for work and only one hour later, when I got to downtown Toronto, it was a nice, warm, 0F/-18C.

This is unheard of in Vancouver so they are not prepared for it at all.

Good luck digging out, guys!
                Last edited by argonsagas; 12-29-2021, 12:30 PM.
                "If you scare people enough, they will demand removal of freedom. This is the path to tyranny."
                Elon Musk Jan, 2022

Comment

Not "unheard of". Cold snaps usually once a year. Some years are remarkable, is all, and weather being an economical newsfeed, the press always makes a big deal of it for the rest of Canada, bunkered in their proud misery.
                  We just have a bad memory and a steady quotient of stupid. This is December 2008...but I remember quite a few that i didn't bother taking pictures of.

V Jericho frozen duckvisitors Dec17 08.jpg

Comment

Of course this is not likely to happen again...lol

Check out the 96 photos....wow!

On the evening of December 26, 1996, it began to snow again and would continue over the next several days. Over 65 cm of snow fell December 28-29 alone, breaking records set in Montreal, Ottawa, and Toronto!

No signature

Comment

Originally posted by argonsagas View Post

Good luck digging out, guys!

I wouldn't say unheard of ... I can remember some pretty good dumps from my youth .... But I would agree we are not prepared for it . Vancouver is expecting 5 to 10 cm overnight tonight ..... And I can guarantee the city will be in gridlock tomorrow morning ..... When we got a light dusting of an inch or two a few years ago a bus on Davie Street which I was on slid out across the road blocking the street for hours because the idiot went into the unplowed bus stop on a hill instead of unloading from the plowed road like the bus I took down the hill did ..... We suck in the snow ! .......
                      Old age and treachery will beat youth and skill every time
                      Originally Posted by Schweisshund I mean, sure, guns were used in some of these mass shootings, but not all of them
                      1983 GS 750

Comment

Originally posted by bccap View Post
                        I wouldn't say unheard of ... I can remember some pretty good dumps from my youth .... But I would agree we are not prepared for it . Vancouver is expecting 5 to 10 cm overnight tonight ..... And I can guarantee the city will be in gridlock tomorrow morning ..... When we got a light dusting of an inch or two a few years ago a bus on Davie Street which I was on slid out across the road blocking the street for hours because the idiot went into the unplowed bus stop on a hill instead of unloading from the plowed road like the bus I took down the hill did ..... We suck in the snow ! .......
                        Yes...my dumps are still pretty good but nothing like the ones from my youth! Lol...sorry Garth, I couldn't resist.
                        No signature

Comment

Originally posted by Gorminrider View Post
                          This is December 2008...but I remember quite a few that i didn't bother taking pictures of.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]63727[/ATTACH]
                          I remember that winter storm in 2009! My girlfriend at the time (now my wife) and I had made plans to drive up to B.C. from Portland, OR. The storm had just started to hit the west coast when we left. We got up to B.C. just fine but I white knucked it the whole drive home a day later. There was so much snow that only one lane of traffic was open on I-5 the whole way back to Portland.
                          Last edited by RustyTank; 12-29-2021, 02:05 PM.
                          Ryan

Comment

Originally posted by Rob S. View Post
                            I've been hearing 17f yesterday and today for Portland and Seattle. What caught my attention was 'new record lowe?
                            Which is one reason I moved from northern WI to the warm side of the PNW.

32 days of sub zero F weather is motivation to move anywhere warmer. 19 F? Try 40 degrees F colder and toss in some wind chill.
                            1978 GS 1000 (since new)
                            1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
                            1978 GS 1000 (parts)
                            1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
                            1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
                            1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
                            2007 DRz 400S
                            1999 ATK 490ES
                            1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Originally posted by Big T View Post
                              19 F? Try 40 degrees F colder and toss in some wind chill.
                              Ya couldn't pay me enough, lol.
                              Ryan

Comment

Let the Western bastards freeze in the dark?
                                1983 GS 550 LD
                                2009 BMW K1300s

Comment

Working...
                                X