Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by trevor View Post
    My neighbour was shovelling his driveway in his shorts yesterday. Lol
    He must wear some really huge shorts. wow!
    All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

I don't know how this started but here in Vancouver whenever we get clear skies and one of those well below zero days the mailmen always wear shorts .... Someday I'm going to have to do some research on that .... It's been going on for years ......
      Old age and treachery will beat youth and skill every time
      Originally Posted by Schweisshund I mean, sure, guns were used in some of these mass shootings, but not all of them
      1983 GS 750

Comment

Originally posted by bccap View Post
        I don't know how this started but here in Vancouver whenever we get clear skies and one of those well below zero days the mailmen always wear shorts .... Someday I'm going to have to do some research on that .... It's been going on for years ......
        Blood flow to the limbs is stimulated and if the person (like a mailman) keeps moving the benefit is maintained.
        Same as your old line and plunging your hands in icy water.
        ---- Dave
        79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
        80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
        79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
        92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

I recall when I was in my 20's I was hired to demolish a barn when it was -35c as I only had some pry bars and a hammer it would take 2-3 weeks. A week at -35c it was okay as long as I kept moving, by the 2nd week when the temperature climbed to -30 I was so uncomfortably warm I was working without a coat.
          1979 CBX, AW440 Maico, GS1150EF

Comment

Originally posted by wyly View Post
            I recall when I was in my 20's I was hired to demolish a barn when it was -35c as I only had some pry bars and a hammer it would take 2-3 weeks. A week at -35c it was okay as long as I kept moving, by the 2nd week when the temperature climbed to -30 I was so uncomfortably warm I was working without a coat.
            It works both ways. I couldn't stand working in -35, but I worked a lot of years in summer heat over 100F. The hottest day I worked was in an engine room at 135 deg F. That. was toasty. lol I had to come out every 5 or 10 minutes to get a breath. heh Too old for that crap anymore though.
            All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

Its common in the North to see people outside who appear, to my standard, to be distinctly underdressed for winter temperature. Part of it is acclimatization, some is toughness.
              1979 GS1000
              1981 GL500 Interstate

Comment

Originally posted by DaveR View Post
                Its common in the North to see people outside who appear, to my standard, to be distinctly underdressed for winter temperature. Part of it is acclimatization, some is toughness.
                People living in warmer climates they can shut down down for a couple weeks of unseasonable weather. When you're in the north you don't have that option frigid cold weather lasts for weeks and months life must go on, so you suck it up and get on with it. When I was in grade school I was amazed to see on TV kids in other regions getting the day off from school when it snowed as their cities came to a standstill! I can't recall missing a day of school due to weather we walked to schools in full on blizzards and -40c temps.

Comment

Yup, but we town kids were allowed to take lunches if it was -30C or colder. Ate it in the gym with the farm kids. There were no cars lined up in front of the schools at 'hometime'.
                  1979 GS1000
                  1981 GL500 Interstate

Comment

I remember it well: School buses were for 3.5 miles away from school and further. I lived 3 miles to school of course. I don't remember them ever shutting down the school even when we had a week of -40, and my mom was a hardazz so I never missed a day. Of course when I got home I had a 120 customer paper route to serve anyway. Very rarely a kid got picked up from school in a parent's car, maybe if they had to go to a dentist appointment or something like that. 1 car to a family and your dad took it to work. I wouldn't trade it for growing up today either.
                    1986 1150EF
                    2008 GS1250SEA

Comment

Speaking of being tough in the cold!

Arviat hunter Ernie Eetak survived five days on Nunavut's tundra in –30C temperatures, wind chill and a blizzard. He credits traditional clothing with saving his life and says the amputation of both his hands won't stop him from hunting to help feed his community.

Nunavut man survives 5-day blizzard, loses hands to frostbite — and vows to hunt again

No signature

Comment

I can't recall missing a day of school due to weather we walked to schools in full on blizzards and -40c temps.
                        Uphill both ways....
                        Believe in truth. To abandon fact is to abandon freedom.

Nature bats last.

80 GS850G / 2010 Yamaha Majesty / 81 GS850G

Claimed by Hurricane Irma 9/11/2017:
                        80 GS850G / 2005 Yamaha Majesty / 83 GS1100E / 2000 BMW R1100RT / 2014 Suzuki DL650

Comment

Originally posted by dpep View Post
                          Uphill both ways....
                          nah it was only uphill to school... but there were wolves and polar bears we had to outrun!

High school was worse two way trip 6kms.

Comment

..on the other hand, Today we may see a real West Coast danger: snow on the ground and warmer air coming in. A fast melt of a foot of snow with rain and a moderate gale added....avalanches later maybe for those that like mountains

Fortunately, it's not a really sub-tropical warm front by the looks of it. But I'm charging up my battery in case a slush-laden tree falls across the power lines.
                            Happy New Year. meh.not starting well weatherwise.

Comment

Originally posted by Gorminrider View Post
                              ..on the other hand, Today we may see a real West Coast danger: snow on the ground and warmer air coming in. A fast melt of a foot of snow with rain and a moderate gale added....avalanches later maybe for those that like mountains

Fortunately, it's not a really sub-tropical warm front by the looks of it. But I'm charging up my battery in case a slush-laden tree falls across the power lines.
                              Happy New Year. meh.not starting well weatherwise.
                              Lol...
                              No signature

Comment

You can say I'm not happy in snow.

Comment

Working...
                                X