Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Adjusting clearances on all four intake valves by removing cam shaft?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Adjusting clearances on all four intake valves by removing cam shaft?

Checking valve clearances on my '83 650L project led to all four exhaust at .05-.06 (within spec) and all four intakes at less than .02 (too tight).

Since it's all four on the same shaft, is it possible/reasonable to release the intake cam shaft and do them all at once? If so, should I release the cam chain tensioner as well?

If not I'll do them the traditional one by one method, using the Suzuki tool and/or zip tie method. I have 7 spare shims, so hopefully the sizes will work out.

Thx
    Current rides: GS650L, GS550T, GL500, GL1100, Bonnie, Triumph Adventurer, Guzzi California

Originally posted by sacruickshank View Post
    Since it's all four on the same shaft, is it possible/reasonable to release the intake cam shaft and do them all at once? If so, should I release the cam chain tensioner as well?..
    Not sure what you mean by "release" the tensioner (since it should be what I would call "released" already).

But if you remove, or just lift up some, any cam shaft you will have to do something with the tensioner, because once you create some slack in the cam chain the tensioner will extend (but not go back in).

So probably what you will want to do,if do anything, is one of two things:
    1: lock the tensioner in place with the lock screw, mess with cam, replace cam, unlock the tensioner. but if it slipps any at all, you will have to remove the tensioner and reset and reinstall.
    or
    2: remove the tensioner, mess with cam, reinstall cam, reset the tensioner, reinstall the tensioner and release the tensioner.
    Last edited by Redman; 12-29-2021, 03:00 PM.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
    GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Originally posted by Redman View Post
      Not sure what you mean by "release" the tensioner (since it should be what I would call "released" already).

But if you remove, or just lift up some, any cam shaft you will have to do something with the tensioner, because once you create some slack in the cam chain the tensioner will extend (but not go back in).

So probably what you will want to do,if do anything, is one of two things:
      1: lock the tensioner in place with the lock screw, mess with cam, replace cam, unlock the tensioner. but if it slipps any at all, you will have to remove the tensioner and reset and reinstall.
      or
      2: remove the tensioner, mess with cam, reinstall cam, reset the tensioner, reinstall the tensioner and release the tensioner.
      Thanks for thinking that through. Accessing the tensioner for adjusting or resetting is difficult with carbs in place, so I'll go with the normal 1by1 method.
      Current rides: GS650L, GS550T, GL500, GL1100, Bonnie, Triumph Adventurer, Guzzi California

Comment

If you put a coin (nickel or a quarter) in place of the shim, you can remove all four at once. Then you can look at your shims to find the thinnest one. Put that one in each position, measure the clearance, and you will KNOW what size shim you actually need.

Comment

Originally posted by phydeauxmutt View Post
          If you put a coin (nickel or a quarter) in place of the shim, you can remove all four at once. Then you can look at your shims to find the thinnest one. Put that one in each position, measure the clearance, and you will KNOW what size shim you actually need.
          Thanks for the hint, plus i've got a bunch of spare shims, so coin approach probably not needed. I'm pretty sure they all just need to go one size thinner. A .02 feeler gauge fit under one and all four bucket/shims turn easily as the exhaust ports with no contact. I realize turning still possible with some contact, but they spin freely enough that any contact is likely barely touching.
          Last edited by sacruickshank; 12-30-2021, 09:18 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Redman View Post

But if you remove, or just lift up some, any cam shaft you will have to do something with the tensioner, because once you create some slack in the cam chain the tensioner will extend (but not go back in)....

...assuming your tensioner is similar to my 650, No. If you turn the Big Knurled Knob on the side of the tensioner it allows the tensioner blade's plunger-shaft to 'go back in" if it wants. However if the set screw is in the correct setting* (1/4 to 1/2 out from tight against the shaft) its retraction is limited by the indent on the shaft catching that set screw. But it should be enough.

You don't need to remove the cam. Just lift it enough to get shims out while turning the Big Knurled Knob, and it will slacken the tensioner blade as you lift the cam . You could then lock the tensioner blade's shaft until you are done. (If it seems not enough you could possibly turn out the set screw to clear the indent, but you would want to be sure that the plunger shaft had not turned when putting things back right. You could tell it was ok if the set screw turned in a little more as it met the indent's void )

* and it should be if the tensioner was assembled correctly-there is a flat spot on the shaft .
            Last edited by Gorminrider; 12-30-2021, 11:33 AM.

Comment

Just my humble opinion, but I think pulling the cam is more work than just checking clearances the traditional way. Not to mention pulling the cam opens up the possibilities of something going wrong because it's unnecessary additional steps.

I have the suzuki special tool and it's really quick and easy to use. Some on the forum prefer the zip tie method, but for $15 I think the tool is cheap and easy enough to use, no sense in fiddling around with zip ties. Some say the tool is finicky to use, but I've never had an issue.
              - 1983 GS850L ~ 30,000 miles and going up - Finally ready for a proper road trip!
              - 1977 GS750B - Sold but not forgotten

Comment

thanks all. I found an old Suzi tool and it worked fine on the intakes, which is all I really needed.

Current state is:
                Exhaust - All four at .05-.06 using existing shims. On the low side of spec, especially for exhaust, but I didn't change any
                Intake - Adjusted all four. #1, 3, and 4 now in spec at .07mm. #2 at .114 since I had a 2.55 shim but not a 2.6.

Unless this crowd thinks a clearance of .11 is OK I'll look for a 2.6 shim to get #2 closer to the others. I have plenty of time since I'm about to enter gasket cleaning hell.

Comment

Originally posted by 93Bandit View Post
                  Just my humble opinion, but I think pulling the cam is more work than just checking clearances the traditional way. Not to mention pulling the cam opens up the possibilities of something going wrong because it's unnecessary additional steps.

I have the suzuki special tool and it's really quick and easy to use. Some on the forum prefer the zip tie method, but for $15 I think the tool is cheap and easy enough to use, no sense in fiddling around with zip ties. Some say the tool is finicky to use, but I've never had an issue.
                  What is this Suzuki special tool? Someone drop a link if it's available please.
                  Ryan

1979 GS850G - currently undergoing a major overhaul
                  1986 GSX-R750 - I'm figuring it out

Comment

Originally posted by RustyTank View Post
                    What is this Suzuki special tool? Someone drop a link if it's available please.
                    Gs650 all models.1980-83. gs850 all models.1979-84. gs1000 all models.1977-82. gs750 all models.1977-84. Fits all Suzuki 4-stroke models with shim-type valve tappets. Replaces Suzuki tool 09916-64510 and Yamaha tool YM-04125.

Comment

thanks all. I found an old Suzi tool and it worked fine on the intakes, which is all I really needed.

Current state is:
                      Exhaust - All four at .05-.06 using existing shims. On the low side of spec, especially for exhaust, but I didn't change any
                      Intake - Adjusted all four. #1, 3, and 4 now in spec at .07mm. #2 at .114 since I had a 2.55 shim but not a 2.6.

Unless this crowd thinks a clearance of .11 is OK I'll look for a 2.6 shim to get #2 closer to the others. I have plenty of time since I'm about to enter gasket cleaning hell.
                      .11 mm is fine. Kawasaki engines with shim over bucket use .15 clearance. I wouldn't mess with it.
                      Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Current state is:

If you want I'll toss a 2.6 shim in the box with the other stuff when I send it. You'll need it eventually. My 850,s shims are all down below 2.55 now.
                        Roger

Current rides
                        1983 GS 850G
                        2003 FJR 1300A
                        Gone but not forgotten 1985 Rebel 250, 1991 XT225, 2004 KLR650, 1981 GS850G, 1982 GS1100GL, 2002 DL1000, 2005 KLR650, 2003 KLX400

Comment

Originally posted by Burque73 View Post
                          If you want I'll toss a 2.6 shim in the box with the other stuff when I send it. You'll need it eventually. My 850,s shims are all down below 2.55 now.
                          Sounds good and thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Gorminrider View Post
                            ...assuming your tensioner is similar to my 650, No. If you turn the Big Knurled Knob on the side of the tensioner it allows the tensioner blade's plunger-shaft to 'go back in" if it wants. However if the set screw is in the correct setting* (1/4 to 1/2 out from tight against the shaft) its retraction is limited by the indent on the shaft catching that set screw. But it should be enough.
                            <snipped text>
                            @Gorminrider - Are you saying that if the tensioner is currently installed correctly, the camshafts could be removed without having to remove and reset the tensioner? I'm asking because I'm now in the gasket cleaning phase (a.k.a petrified gasket hell) and it *might* be easier if the camshafts were removed.

If the tensioner has to be removed & reset then the carbs will have to come off. Not the hardest thing since the related rubber bits on the bike are in good shape.

If I want to really take the plunge I could take the entire cylinder head off, but than the head gasket might get damaged further extending my sentence in gasket hell.

Comment

If you were to loosen the tensioner set screw locknut, then crank down the set screw to lock the tensioner plunger in its current position, you may be able to pull the cam at that point. I say "may" because I'm not sure if you will have enough slack in the cam chain at that point. It won't hurt to try though.
                              Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Working...
                              X