Stuck Shim

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stuck Shim

I'm adjusting valves on my 750 and the new shims I ordered from Z1 don't have rounded edges like the OEM shims. this makes them a little tighter fit in the bucket. After installing one of the new shims, the valve clearance is still too tight. Double checked my numbers but it's the correct shim size so I tried to remove it and it's stuck in the bucket. I suspect it's not sitting level in the bucket and isn't fully seated causing it to get stuck. I've turned the engine over probably 60 times trying to get the cam lobe to work it loose. I've tried prying it out with a screwdriver and gave it some light love-taps with a small hammer. It will not budge.

I thought about starting the bike and letting it run and get hot hoping that would free up the shim, but the bike doesn't run right now.

Anything else I should try before pulling the cams? I really don't want to go that far in if I can avoid it.
    - 1983 GS850L ~ 30,000 miles and going up - Finally ready for a proper road trip!
    - 1977 GS750B - Sold but not forgotten

I find using one (or two) of those telescopic pen magnets allows you to more easily lift a snug fitting shim square rather than prying on an angle with a screwdriver.
    Mikuni Viton Choke Plunger Seat Renewal.
    VITON Choke plunger seals .KAWASAKI Z1,Z900,Z650,Z1000,Z1R,SUZUKI GS1000,GSXR,RF | eBay

Air Corrector Jets for Mikuni VM 24, 26 and 28mm carbs .
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/254380193...84.m1555.l2649

sigpic

Comment

Shims are occasionally labeled wrong, even OEM. Good luck with Zed's method to remove.
      -Mal

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." - B. Banzai

78 GS750E

Comment

Originally posted by zed1015 View Post
        I find using one (or two) of those telescopic pen magnets allows you to more easily lift a snug fitting shim square rather than prying on an angle with a screwdriver.
        I don't know man, this sucker is stuck. But I'll give it a go and see if it works. Appreciate the idea.
        - 1983 GS850L ~ 30,000 miles and going up - Finally ready for a proper road trip!

Comment

Instead of running the engine, which you can't do anyway, maybe a heat gun or torch on that spot would help.

Curious if you used a zip tie. I've had readings not add up after changing shims even after carefully measuring thickness of unmarked (or incorrectly marked shims. Just assumed it was carbon dislodged and under the valve seat. Possibly oil under the shim. Either one would eventually rectify itself while riding, I suppose. I trusted my method and measurements and moved on. Haven't burned any valves yet. Knock wood!
          Roger

Current rides
          1983 GS 850G
          2003 FJR 1300A
          Gone but not forgotten 1985 Rebel 250, 1991 XT225, 2004 KLR650, 1981 GS850G, 1982 GS1100GL, 2002 DL1000, 2005 KLR650, 2003 KLX400

Comment

Originally posted by Burque73 View Post
            Instead of running the engine, which you can't do anyway, maybe a heat gun or torch on that spot would help.

Curious if you used a zip tie. I've had readings not add up after changing shims even after carefully measuring thickness of unmarked (or incorrectly marked shims. Just assumed it was carbon dislodged and under the valve seat. Possibly oil under the shim. Either one would eventually rectify itself while riding, I suppose. I trusted my method and measurements and moved on. Haven't burned any valves yet. Knock wood!
            I thought about using a torch, but I'm not too sure if it'll damage any or not? I guess it shouldn't, it's all metal in there anyway. I wouldn't get it too hot, just warm everything up.

As for method, I use my Suzuki special tool instead of zip ties. If there were a chunk of carbon holding the valve open, it would increase the cam to shim clearance instead of decrease it like it is in my situation. I've got a thinner shim, but the clearance will be way out of spec loose, probably around ~0.150mm. I don't know what I'll do about that yet, gotta get that shim out first.

Comment

Originally posted by 93Bandit View Post
              I thought about using a torch, but I'm not too sure if it'll damage any or not? I guess it shouldn't, it's all metal in there anyway. I wouldn't get it too hot, just warm everything up.

As for method, I use my Suzuki special tool instead of zip ties. If there were a chunk of carbon holding the valve open, it would increase the cam to shim clearance instead of decrease it like it is in my situation. I've got a thinner shim, but the clearance will be way out of spec loose, probably around ~0.150mm. I don't know what I'll do about that yet, gotta get that shim out first.

Good point.

Maybe a suction cup? Like a valve lapping thing. Of course, you'd have to remove the cam though.

You could just load your bike up onto a trailer and drive under this thing.

It'll yank it right out!
              Roger

Current rides
              1983 GS 850G
              2003 FJR 1300A
              Gone but not forgotten 1985 Rebel 250, 1991 XT225, 2004 KLR650, 1981 GS850G, 1982 GS1100GL, 2002 DL1000, 2005 KLR650, 2003 KLX400

Comment

if you can rotate the bucket you should be able to see if its seated right or not. If it is sharpen a nail real good and tap it under the shim through the buckets notch.
                MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
                1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Maybe a blast of compressed air might flutter it loose. 🤔
                  My Motorcycles:
                  22 Kawasaki Z900 RS (Candy Tone Blue)
                  22 BMW K1600GT (Probably been to a town near you)
                  82 1100e Drag Bike (needs race engine)
                  81 1100e Street Bike (with race engine)
                  79 1000e (all original)
                  82 850g (all original)
                  80 KZ 650F (needs restored)

Comment

Originally posted by chuck hahn View Post
                    if you can rotate the bucket you should be able to see if its seated right or not. If it is sharpen a nail real good and tap it under the shim through the buckets notch.
                    I like this idea, I will add it to the list of things to try!

Comment

Originally posted by storm 64 View Post
                      Maybe a blast of compressed air might flutter it loose. 🤔
                      Hmmmmmm... Easy enough to try.

Comment

Have you been using a tappet depression tool?

tappet.jpg
                        sigpic
                        '77 GS550B
                        '78 GS550C

Comment

They are easy to get -- but somewhat more difficult to use:

tappettool.jpg
                          sigpic
                          '77 GS550B
                          '78 GS550C

Comment

Originally posted by xkaes View Post
                            Have you been using a tappet depression tool?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]63738[/ATTACH]
                            Yes. As previously mentioned, I have the suzuki OEM tool that I have been using. I haven't had any issues with it like others mention on here.

Comment

I had some issues w removing a shim. I used a utility knife w a new blade to break it loose thru that notch in the bucket.

Mike O'

1980 GS550E

Comment

Working...
                              X