1979 GS 850 tail stripes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1979 GS 850 tail stripes

I am trying to locate a source for a kit to re-stripe the tail piece on my bike. The tank is in great shape so I will not be repainting that. Does anyone have a lead. I had located a supplier in the province of Ontario and got a quote but when the invoice came it was in US funds?? didn't matter that I am in Canada as they are. That brought the cost of the already costly stripes up over 30% more. No mention of US funds were made on the quote and the supplier was aware that I live in Canada. I cancelled the order due to what I thought was a devious way of doing business. If I can't find another supplier may just repaint the tail and leave the stripes off.
    Thanks for any help
    Jonesz

1979 GS850 current project
    1978 GL1000-naked
    1983 GL1100-Aspencade stripped
    1999 Valkyrie Tourer-long ride bike

Am not sure if they still carry them but Canadian Tire used to sell pinstripes in various colors for cars. I don't think it was their own product, but if they still have them you could check and see who the manufacturer is on the packaging. Over the past several years they tend to drop products that do not sell.

Comment

If the originals are still on there a local sign shop can make a set patterned off them for cheap.
      1986 1150EF
      2008 GS1250SEA

Comment

Thanx guys. Will not be putting any stripes on unless they are the same as original. Will take the tailpiece to the city next time I go and check with a custom sign place. Good idea. The worn stripes are still intact. I have dealt with a couple of sign shops redoing striping on a camper van and lettering for a boat name. They did good work. Will also check at Canadian Tire to see what they have available for colors. If I can't get stripes that are very close then I will just repaint and leave the tailpiece like the side covers (no stripes).
        Jonesz

1978 GL1000-naked

Comment

Probably not interested due to the price .....but

This complete set contains all stripes for the fuel tank and tail of the 1979 GS850. Stripes are Orange & Gold with clear between, to allow paint color to show through.Stripes must be overlapped and joined like the originals.
          82 GS650E (Canadian), 83 XS650SK (Canadian), Main machines Running
          Aussie, 74 TX650A, 80 XS650SG, 81XS650SH, 80XS850, in various states of repair/disrepair
          Introduction and ongoing thread for myGS650Ez
          Albums

Comment

Originally posted by 650Skull View Post
            Probably not interested due to the price .....but

https://www.diablocycle.com/GS850-19...tripe-Kit.html
            Yep that is the company that gave me the original quote on the tail piece stripes. I was not expecting to have to pay in US $ as I live in the adjoining province in Canada. No mention of US $ was made when they gave me a quote and their shipping charges appeared to be full bore international rates when they invoiced me. Had the deal been better presented I likely would have bit the bullet & bought them, just felt that I was being hoodwinked a bit. I see that the ad you posted has US prices highlighted but I originally had contacted them by email for a quote on the tail stripes only. Might still order from them if I can't locate elsewhere but have to get my head around paying over $80 Canadian for a few pieces of vinyl stripe. Maybe I am just getting old and grumpy.
            Jonesz

1978 GL1000-naked

Comment

They did the same to me on a seat cover for my 750. They probably have nothing in stock, my seat cover came from overseas.
              1986 1150EF
              2008 GS1250SEA

Comment

The stripe pattern seems simple. If you can find the right color stripes you can lay them down yourself. I did just that on a GS550 and KZ750 I restored.

017 by nessism, on Flickr

P1010841 by nessism, on Flickr
                Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by Jonesz View Post
                  Had the deal been better presented I likely would have bit the bullet & bought them, just felt that I was being hoodwinked a bit. I see that the ad you posted has US prices highlighted but I originally had contacted them by email for a quote on the tail stripes only.. Maybe I am just getting old and grumpy.
                  I can relate. Not being up front put me off to
                  82 GS650E (Canadian), 83 XS650SK (Canadian), Main machines Running
                  Aussie, 74 TX650A, 80 XS650SG, 81XS650SH, 80XS850, in various states of repair/disrepair
                  Introduction and ongoing thread for myGS650Ez
                  Albums

Comment

Excellent work, Ed!
                    The curves look so smooth and symmetrical.
                    2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Originally posted by steve murdoch View Post
                      Excellent work, Ed!
                      The curves look so smooth and symmetrical.
                      +1 on that comment.The paint & striping look very nice
                      Jonesz

1978 GL1000-naked

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
                        The stripe pattern seems simple. If you can find the right color stripes you can lay them down yourself. I did just that on a GS550 and KZ750 I restored.

017 by nessism, on FlickrP1010841 by nessism, on Flickr
                        The golden striped one is the job! you even rounded up the stripe ends...
                        GS1000G '81

Comment

I am currently working on a tank striping issue that is posted on another thread in this forum.

I was able to find a pretty close vinyl match at 143vinyl.com. You could probably get away with more than I could because there is no oem color on the tailpiece to contrast. Here are before and after shots.

The bottom strip and up an inch or two is the replacement vinyl. I've still some work to do but I am satisfied with the striping part--that was the biggest challenge.

It is an option to consider anyway, probably the cheapest if you are able to get a close match on the first try. Diablo, when doing their first set for a particular model matches to a vinyl vendor's samples the same as anyone else. It would be nice if they would share with you the color set for that model. You could try asking but of course it would not be in their financial interest to give you the info. I communicated with them thinking they might somehow have access to factory color decal/striping codes but they do not.

There are several vinyl vendors. I matched mine on an Avery 750 Permanent chart I orered on Amazon. Once you find your color Google the product details to see who has it and how much.
                          Believe in truth. To abandon fact is to abandon freedom.

Nature bats last.

80 GS850G / 2010 Yamaha Majesty / 81 GS850G

Claimed by Hurricane Irma 9/11/2017:
                          80 GS850G / 2005 Yamaha Majesty / 83 GS1100E / 2000 BMW R1100RT / 2014 Suzuki DL650

Comment

Working...
                          X