Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mystery Carb Boot?

Hi everyone,
    I was getting prepared to put new head gasket on my 1980 Gs250T. I was taking my carbs off, and while I was doing that I heard a rattling noise coming from the airbox. I shined a light into the box and found this boot. I was able to fish it out with a pair of pliers, and while examining it I see it says Gs450 on the said along with the part number 13881-44100 and a "R" for what I'm assuming right. I looked in the other side of the box to see another one in it. Is this part necessary? If it is where can I get a replacement because it's hard and deformed. I tried lookin the part number up on eBay but it came up with no results? Would a similar boot from a different bike work for it, what bike could I get it from. And if it was also used for the 450 why cant I find any replacements for sale?
    carb boot #1.jpg
    1980 Gs250T- Passed from father to son, also my first build.

According to the GS250T parts schematic the numbers are the same.
    Shop online for OEM Air Cleaner parts that fit your 1980 Suzuki GS250T, search all our OEM Parts or call at 252-758-3084

Try your local Suzuki dealer if have one or a place like Bike Bandit.
    2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Those intake boots play a vital part in forming the gas flow into the carb mouth. The bike will usually run without them, but not as well as it should.
      ---- Dave
      79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
      80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
      79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
      92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

sometimes they become critter food
        Current rides: GS650L, GS550T, GL500, GL1100, Bonnie, Triumph Adventurer, Guzzi California

Comment

I have checked every place I could think of. it seems that the part was discontinued. But while looking on eBay I found some that are for the CB550 at a good price. Is it possible that they will fit on the 250? I think that they should be the same size. Sorry for taking so long to follow up, I've been busy with the engine and other projects. Thanks.

Comment

you can also try cruzinimages
            MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
            1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

These guys claim to still have them……left and right…$17 each

Buy parts at a low price for your snowmobile here at Alpha Sports, we carry a LARGE variety of parts and accesories.
              1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Thanks, they had some other parts I needed. I sent them an email seeing if they have what they claim.

Comment

Those boots were so shrunken and hard on my 250 that they would no longer fit over the carb bodies and rattled around loosely in the airbox ports.
                  Got myself 4oz of Methyl Salicylate (wintergreen oil) and did the 3 parts isopropyl alcohol to 1 part MS soak for about 5 days and they looked and felt like new. It was amazing. I am sold on that method for rejuvenating rubber parts. I use it now for a lot of old non-cracked rubber parts which need softening/refreshing, especially the ones which are hard to find or take ages to order/receive, or are ludicrously expensive. I just keep the same mix in a jar and reuse it over and over. Turns black but just seems to keep on working.
                  1981 GS250T

Comment

These things shrink and harden with time and heat, and more than once someone who ordered new ones has been convinced the incorrect boots were sent because they're so much larger and softer.

If you can't find new ones, the methyl salicyclate trick is worth a try if the old ones are not cracked.
                    1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                    2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                    2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                    Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Working...
                    X