Filing down Clutch hub/basket grooves

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Filing down Clutch hub/basket grooves

Just thinking: filing down the grooves is great to get that smooth operation back but the wear will most certainly will happen faster next time on this soft aluminum.

I have heard of a "mod's" for this. Are there any solutions other than just replacing the entire unit once filing is no longer an option? Would be nice if there was a way to surface harden the areas where the clutch discs gouge out and create the grooves.
    Originally posted by tkent02
    That's not a tree, that's a shrubbery. Now get to work on that old dirt bike
    John 3:16

Some plates, not sure if they are OEM or not, have flared edges that spread out the load a bit, which slows down the groove forming.
    If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space.

Comment

File all the rough spots and gouges out. It won't be an issue.
      Ray.

Comment

Was at the 100K mark when the notches started giving me trouble, but there was a tremendous amount of town riding in that, probably 80%, so lots of clutch action. After filing the notches down, that basket lasted until the engine came out, at least 40K later.
        On another engine that had done 80K+, there was no discernable notching, but the majority of its life had been country backroads.
        ---- Dave
        79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
        80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
        79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
        92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

I wonder what welding and remilling the grooves would cost.
          1983 GS 550 LD
          2009 BMW K1300s

Comment

Originally posted by Grimly View Post
            Was at the 100K mark when the notches started giving me trouble, but there was a tremendous amount of town riding in that, probably 80%, so lots of clutch action. After filing the notches down, that basket lasted until the engine came out, at least 40K later.
            On another engine that had done 80K+, there was no discernable notching, but the majority of its life had been country backroads.
            That's good data!
            Originally posted by tkent02
            That's not a tree, that's a shrubbery. Now get to work on that old dirt bike
            John 3:16

Comment

Originally posted by Cipher View Post
              I'd doubt if you could stop distortion happening. Not really feasible.

Comment

Originally posted by Cipher View Post
                Probably too much...I have seen some motocross works bikes and they had stainless channels,sleeves,covering the contact areas.Could possibly fabricate some at a reasonable price with the right material and tooling for the gs's.But the dirt bikes are wide open and shut down with braking effect.Beats the baskets up pretty fast.I have filed down and smoothed them also. no problems.Within reason..
                sigpic 82 gs1100ez 1168 Wiseco,Web .348 Cams,Falicon Sprockets,Star Racing Ported Head,1mm o/s Stainless Valves,APE Springs,Bronze Guides,etc.APE Billet Tensioner,36CV Carbs,Stage 3 Dynojet,Plenum w/K&N filter,Trued,Welded,Balanced,Crank w/Katana rods & Billet left end, FBG backcut trans, VHR HD Clutch basket,APE nut,VHR High volume oil pump gears,1150 Oil cooler,V&H Megaphone header w/Competition baffle,Dyna S,Coils,Wires,etc.Other misc.mods.

Comment

Working...
                X