• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Foamed some Titans today very satisfying

Bought em for 20 bucks assuming they were shot
    just the foam was rotted
    I got em years ago my god and finally ordered the surrounds last week

If you ever doing this Chinese made ten bucks a piece for 6.5 inch are just fine
    The web vendors specializing in this are massive rip off artists and are clearly raking in as much in S&H as they are on foam and glue

ANd ignore the purists who bemoan rubber as a no no replacement due to greater mass
    it would of course make a difference but damn how much?

Also Paradigm used rubber cement back in 93 so I got me a 1.50 tube of dollar store stuff

outer diameter needed trimming on ths surround which was a cause for tense moments.

No Matter shaky hands be damned I got it all together and well they sound superb
    used a 50 hz tone to align voice coil and no rubbing

No doubt they are off a bit in the alignment but screw it.

woozy from the fumes man flashbacks to 70s and model building
    1983 GS 550 LD
    2009 BMW K1300s

I did my L100s and my brothers L166s

82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

Originally posted by bonanzadave View Post
      I did my L100s and my brothers L166s

Alll I ever wanted in life was a rich hot girlfriends and a dedicated listening room.
      My friend and I used to stop at a high end furniture store on our way back from the liquor store in uni
      testing the crazy cool chairs
      sitting in the crazy overpriced listening room
      all baked to the bone and joyful
      dammit they played DSOTM at volume for us on the big ribbon speakers for us even though they probably suspected we were poor students
      and poor students..................see what I did there?

screw it imma build a set of ribbon speakers
      1983 GS 550 LD
      2009 BMW K1300s

Comment

Well Dang, I saw Titans & naturally thought something about the "Tennessee Titans"...Congrats, "off a bit in the alignment but screw it"...Doesn't affect the sound, does it? You'll probably be the only one to know.
        1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Originally posted by rphillips View Post
          You'll probably be the only one to know.
          Id know.....and would enjoy the opportunity to do so. Cipher, can I come to Toronto and demo some 2112 ?
          82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

Id know.....and would enjoy the opportunity to do so. Cipher, can I come to Toronto and demo some 2112 ?
            God almighty I hate Rush
            love hate Rush
            technical difficult to play compared to most and a wonder that its liked by so many really dumb guys
            maybe they dont hear the disturbing complexity

Do you really think you could hear a slightly off centre cone?
            Actually I was surprised at just how much tolerance there was
            You see people shimming with business cards but these things havea lot more side play available.
            1983 GS 550 LD
            2009 BMW K1300s

Comment

I re-drivered some Leak 3080s a few years ago, after finding out how much it would cost to rebuild the originals.
              Wharfedale had taken over Leak years previously and some of the original speaker builders were still around and willing to do the job, but cost plus shipping put paid to it.

Just some cheap and cheerful mids and basses of moderate quality, as I'm not of the golden-eared persuasion (age has taken care of that), and I'm impressed with the results. The cabinet design and crossovers lent a lot to the original sound, I'm sure.
              I still have the originals, but at the time the possibility of re-foaming them as diy wasn't available.
              ---- Dave
              79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
              80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
              79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
              92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Originally posted by Cipher View Post
                Do you really think you could hear a slightly off centre cone?
                Ha ! My hearing is not good. Lots of jet noise in the USMC and years of pounding rivets.

One of my JBLs sounds a tad bit scratchy. That concerns me......

God almighty I hate Rush
                OK, how about some Steely Dan or Knopfler ?
                82 1100 EZ (red)

Comment

Bose 901 or bust!
                  1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Originally posted by Rob S. View Post
                    Bose 901 or bust!
                    almost got a set for cheap last fall but the guy didnt have the controller part.
                    1983 GS 550 LD
                    2009 BMW K1300s

Comment

Ha ! My hearing is not good. Lots of jet noise in the USMC and years of pounding rivets.

One of my JBLs sounds a tad bit scratchy. That concerns me......

OK, how about some Steely Dan or Knopfler ?
                      Yes all hail Knopfler a shy retiring god of music. Steely Dan used to love hay 19 until it turned into my life. Aja is nice.
                      1983 GS 550 LD
                      2009 BMW K1300s

Comment

Originally posted by Grimly View Post
                        I re-drivered some Leak 3080s a few years ago, after finding out how much it would cost to rebuild the originals.
                        Wharfedale had taken over Leak years previously and some of the original speaker builders were still around and willing to do the job, but cost plus shipping put paid to it.

Just some cheap and cheerful mids and basses of moderate quality, as I'm not of the golden-eared persuasion (age has taken care of that), and I'm impressed with the results. The cabinet design and crossovers lent a lot to the original sound, I'm sure.
                        I still have the originals, but at the time the possibility of re-foaming them as diy wasn't available.

I too suffer hearing loss. I played a spectrum sweep and as usual nothing above 5000 and a chattering on the sweep different in each ear a manifestation of the dead steps in my ability to percieve.
                        1983 GS 550 LD
                        2009 BMW K1300s

Comment

used to love hay 19 until it turned into my life
                          Sorry. Was it the fine columbian or the cuervo gold ?
                          82 1100 EZ (red)

Comment

What is this foaming thing and how would it be a benefit?
                            I have a pair of '77 Sansui ES-100 and the foam front has long gone.
                            97 R1100R
                            Previous
                            80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

Originally posted by Brendan W View Post
                              What is this foaming thing and how would it be a benefit?
                              I have a pair of '77 Sansui ES-100 and the foam front has long gone.

crazy prices but nothing compared to new speakers
                              I went uber cheap and you could too
                              aliexpress has stuff for far cheaper but you have to research dimensions profile shape etc.
                              Mind you a slightly off mass and profile beats dead speaker
                              1983 GS 550 LD
                              2009 BMW K1300s

Comment

Working...
                              X