What to do with a GS850 project?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What to do with a GS850 project?

Just about done with the bike in it's end game state, but not sure what to do suspension wise at the front end. Looks like the forks were leaking for a while as it almost seems like the front end is bottomed out. Should I try and retrofit a modern tree or do something along the lines of just replacing the seals and adding in the presumably missing oil? Tried looking into progressive springs but couldn't really find a definitive model number to use for the 850. Thanks!

Skip the Progressive springs, go with Sonic.
    Several choices for rate, depending on your weight, you might want the 1.0 rate. Toss in some 10w oil, hold it all together with some new seals, you will really enjoy the improvement.

Comment

Thanks for the link on the sonic springs! Was driving the bike around and noticed the front almost scraping the exhaust so figure it definitely needs to be overhauled lol. Any way to calculate what weight needed based on springs?

Comment

Check out the bottom left of the page from that link.

Spring weight calculator.

I switched to sonic springs last year and really like them.
        1979 GS850G
        2004 SV650N track bike
        2005 TT-R125 pit bike
        LRRS #246 / Northeast Cycles / Woodcraft / Armour Bodies / Hindle Exhaust / Central Mass Powersport

http://s327.photobucket.com/albums/k443/tas850g/

Comment

I put RaceTech (straight rate) .90 springs in my 11E a few years ago. I probably should have gone to 1.0. I definitely would have if I had known I was going to gain 20 lbs. But who ever heard of a man in his early 60's gaining weight?
          1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Thanks guys, going to order the 1KG springs! Surprised I didn't find anything about sonic springs online go figure. Like I mentioned my front end suspension is completely screwed, so it'll feel like a new bike after the replacement lol.

Comment

On the flip side, I used 1.0 rate sonic springs in my 850's forks then the bike lost 25lbs when the fairing was removed. It's a bit too stiff for me now.
              Roger

Current rides
              1983 GS 850G
              2003 FJR 1300A
              Gone but not forgotten 1985 Rebel 250, 1991 XT225, 2004 KLR650, 1981 GS850G, 1982 GS1100GL, 2002 DL1000, 2005 KLR650, 2003 KLX400

Comment

Originally posted by zaos View Post
                Just about done with the bike in it's end game state, but not sure what to do suspension wise at the front end. Looks like the forks were leaking for a while as it almost seems like the front end is bottomed out. Should I try and retrofit a modern tree or do something along the lines of just replacing the seals and adding in the presumably missing oil? Tried looking into progressive springs but couldn't really find a definitive model number to use for the 850. Thanks!
                What is in there now? Could it be someone has messed with it and removed or changed spacers?
                97 R1100R
                Previous
                80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

Pulling them apart soon, based on what the rest of the bike initially looked like when I got it I wouldn't at all be surprised to find the forks full of random springs lol

Comment

Working...
                  X