Weeping oil from cam rubbers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Weeping oil from cam rubbers

My 83 Gs750e has 8500 miles on it, it sat in some guys garage for 17 years. The seals dried out and some oil weeps out of the rubber camshaft cover on the rear left. I've ordered new ones. Will I need to pull the valve cover to replace them?

Very difficult to lift the cover and sneak some pliers in, without disturbing a gasket which has been sitting confortably for almost two decades. More so, what better occasion to check valve clearances...
    Last edited by Lorenzo; 01-10-2022, 08:48 AM.
    GS1000G '81

Comment

Originally posted by Lorenzo View Post
      Very difficult to lift the cover and sneak some pliers in, without disturbing a gasket which has been sitting confortably for almost two decades. More so, what better occasion to check valve clearances...
      Agreed. Valve clearance and valve cover gasket are on the list. Also engine side cover gaskets probably need changing. I haven't seen these rubber plugs yet and so wasnt sure how they were installed. That helps me a lot! Thanks!

Comment

I have spent two hours scraping those valve cover gaskets off. Sometimes it comes off perfectly, other times it goes south.
        1981 GS1100E
        1982 GS1100E

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." Aristotle

Comment

I have been very happy with the permatex grey (high torque) rtv for the plugs, no more weeping, even with old plugs. Also doesn't stick out as bad against natural aluminum.
          1981 Suzuki GS250T
          1982 Yamaha Seca Turbo
          1985 Suzuki GS550E
          2004 Suzuki GSF1200S

Comment

Originally posted by metalfab View Post
            I have spent two hours scraping those valve cover gaskets off. Sometimes it comes off perfectly, other times it goes south.
            Yeah, two hours minimum for a petrified gasket. I just did mine last weekend. Carbide gasket scraping tools work great ($15 at O'Reilly's) , as long as you're careful to avoid gouging the surface.
            PXL_20220108_195907940.jpg
            Last edited by sacruickshank; 01-11-2022, 07:15 PM.
            Current rides: GS650L, GS550T, GL500, GL1100, Bonnie, Triumph Adventurer, Guzzi California

Comment

Originally posted by sacruickshank View Post
              Yeah, two hours minimum for a petrified gasket. I just did mine last weekend. Carbide gasket scraping tools work great ($15 at O'Reilly's) , as long as you're careful to avoid gouging the surface.
              [ATTACH=CONFIG]63777[/ATTACH]
              Got around to pulling mine a couple days ago. Has an o ring! Easy street.

Comment

Those end plugs, jeez. I replaced on both my bikes recently, meticulously cleaned the surfaces, used a thin layer of Yamabond, new OEM rubbers, and boom, out they came, spewing oil on. Did the job over 2x to try to fix and no joy. I have no obstructions in my breathers or any other factor that would cause high internal pressure, they just wouldn't stay put. I put them in with the lip inwards and have no problems whatsoever. There seems to be plenty of clearance, will find out if any chafing at next valve cover removal, for now I'm happy to not have leaks.
                Tom

'82 GS1100E Mr. Turbo
                '79 GS100E
                Other non Suzuki bikes

Comment

Originally posted by oldGSfan View Post
                  Those end plugs, jeez. I replaced on both my bikes recently, meticulously cleaned the surfaces, used a thin layer of Yamabond, new OEM rubbers, and boom, out they came, spewing oil on. Did the job over 2x to try to fix and no joy. I have no obstructions in my breathers or any other factor that would cause high internal pressure, they just wouldn't stay put. I put them in with the lip inwards and have no problems whatsoever. There seems to be plenty of clearance, will find out if any chafing at next valve cover removal, for now I'm happy to not have leaks.
                  As you can see from my first post, this is my first time messing with them, they seem like one of those things that would have been nice to invite a mechanic to sit in on the day the engineers were designing that particular part, but its great we can still buy new ones!

Comment

Originally posted by oldGSfan View Post
                    Isn't joint bonding goo made for metal on metal?
                    This is superb

I've never had a leak after using it. Nor seepage. Soluble in alcohol.
                    1983 GS 550 LD
                    2009 BMW K1300s

Comment

It's not weeping oil. It's sweating horsepower.
                      1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

I've fitted mine inside out since one came adrift 100 miles from home and left me stranded. It's a serious design flaw, that could have been totally prevented by making the inserts double-lipped.
                        ---- Dave
                        79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
                        80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
                        79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
                        92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Originally posted by Grimly View Post
                          I've fitted mine inside out since one came adrift 100 miles from home and left me stranded. It's a serious design flaw, that could have been totally prevented by making the inserts double-lipped.
                          Yes so call alibabs and have some made
                          1983 GS 550 LD
                          2009 BMW K1300s

Comment

Heck I even have that on hand, and yeah it'll stick to everything. I use it very sparingly, a little dab'll do ya. Reversing worked a treat so I'm OK with that. I think I read up to use Yamabond or equivalent but it wasn't right for the job. I wonder what was used by Suzuki new.

Originally posted by Cipher View Post
                            Isn't joint bonding goo made for metal on metal?
                            This is superb

I've never had a leak after using it. Nor seepage. Soluble in alcohol.
                            Tom

'82 GS1100E Mr. Turbo
                            '79 GS100E
                            Other non Suzuki bikes

Comment

Personally I try not to use rtv on those rubber plugs, I use a small amount of blue hylomar smeared on the rubbers let it flash off for 10 minutes before fitting never had a problem with them. Don't try to fit them before you let it flash off as they can slide out when fitting the cam cover I suspect that also happens with rtv.
                              As for the camcover gasket smear high temperature grease on the camcover and cylinder head mating face before fitting the gasket and you will never have a problem when you next take off the camcover.
                              The big guy up there rides a Suzuki (this I know)
                              1981 gs850gx

1999 RF900
                              past bikes. RF900
                              TL1000s
                              Hayabusa
                              gsx 750f x2
                              197cc Francis Barnett
                              various British nails

Comment

Working...
                              X