Wacky speedo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wacky speedo

Just to make it short I hit the speedo limit the other day and then some, the next time I rode my speedo was bouncing plenty but would give me a mostly accurate reading of the speed I was going, I disconnected the cable from the gauge side and lubricated it aswell as checking for kinks and then I rerouted it a bit smoother, the next ride it worked well for the first 10 minutes and then it started to bounce like crazy all over the place with extremely immaculate readings, then it would go to 0, to 85, then to 0, and now it stays at 0

I did notice some possible condensation on the inside of the gauge plastic but ofcourse I'm here because I'm sure somebody knows where I should be looking.
    Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
    1982 XS650

Cable is broken.
    1983 GS 550 LD
    2009 BMW K1300s

Comment

is there any common area to check for this? atleast from the top it seemed okay but you know i didnt try and pull at it and see if it just came out.

do you by chance know if the cable is seperate from the assembly thats on the wheel? itd be a bummer to replace that whole part.
      Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
      1982 XS650

Comment

it only takes a minute to unscrew the cable at each end (back of tach, and speedo unit at the wheel). Pull the cable out of it's sheath to see if it's intact. My guess is, that it's not. The only tool you may need is a pair of pliers.
        Rich
        1982 GS 750TZ
        2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
        Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

Originally posted by timebombprod View Post
          is there any common area to check for this? atleast from the top it seemed okay but you know i didnt try and pull at it and see if it just came out.

do you by chance know if the cable is seperate from the assembly thats on the wheel? itd be a bummer to replace that whole part.
          Easiest way i have found is to disconnect the bottom end of the cable sheath where it connects to the drive device on the axle.
          just a pair of pliers is all thats should be needed
          you can then pull the entire inner cable out for inspection
          you can slo clean lube and resinsert it this way but its a bit hard to stay clean.
          1983 GS 550 LD
          2009 BMW K1300s

Comment

If you pull the cable out the bottom & the top (speedo) end of the cable is round, it's broke. The top 1 1/2" of the cable is pressed or crimped into a hard, square, almost solid, piece not round & hollow like the rest of the cable. Hope that's the problem.
            1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Thanks everyone for the methods, a little booked up today so I might be able to get to it tonight or tomorrow.
              Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
              1982 XS650

Comment

heres the video inspecting both ends of the cable, would just like somebody to confirm its condition.
                Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
                1982 XS650

Comment

Bottom end that goes into the speedo hub unit at the wheel is broken off. Buy a new cable. Inner cable and outer sheath come as one part #. Make sure it's lubed. My new one was lubed from Suzuki. I added more. Went to a local bicycle shop and bought a bottle of what they use. Lots of opinions on what lube to use. Just use something.

You've had your tach cable out of the head, Right? The wheel end of the speedo cable should look pretty much just like the engine end of the tach cable.
                  Last edited by Rich82GS750TZ; 01-12-2022, 05:40 PM.
                  Rich
                  1982 GS 750TZ
                  2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

Comment

Common thing and a pita but on the bright side cheaper to get than a speedo.
                    1983 GS 550 LD
                    2009 BMW K1300s

Comment

In the 1st post it says the speedo was working. I'd think a part fell out when you took it apart. I don't see a way the speedo could ever work with just what you are showing us. There should be a solid metal part, appx. 1/2" long, & a flat slot in the end, made on the cable end. Look to see if it is stuck up in the speedo drive. or maybe it fell out when you took it apart. Speedo could never work without it. When reinstalling the new one, be sure the slot is lined up with the blade in the speedo drive & spin the front wheel as you push it in the speedo, so square cable end lines up with square hole in speedo...Yep best possible problem.
                      Last edited by rphillips; 01-12-2022, 06:38 PM.
                      1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Alright thanks everyone I will order a new cable for the bike

Rp, it was working somewhat after I took the gauge end of the speedo cable off and lubricated it but eventually it just stopped all together and that was all within a single ride, I didn't hear any thing fall out like a small ting or whatnot when I removed the gauge side of the cable, I can go ahead and see if anything is inside the gauge side and also just look around, I'll also have to check the wheel side to make sure there's nothing in there that will affect the new cables reading or even causing the new one to have an early break.
                        Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
                        1982 XS650

Comment

Rich I have had the engine side of the tach out but it's been a long time since I have because the dang thing does not want to get loose, I don't have a clear memory as to what that side looked like but the speedo cable is busted either way, it'd be nice if I can get it to budge but I'm guessing the heat and me probably over tightening it caused the threading to seize up. I'll have to see if I can get it free so I can take a look. The good thing is my tach still works lol
                          Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
                          1982 XS650

Comment

If the tach works, for goodness sake, leave it alone. I’ll go take some quick pics of what the wheel end of the speedo cable looks like. Be right back……

the slot in the end of the cable is part of the cable and yours has broken off.

It has to fit onto the tabbed spindle inside the speedo drive housing when you install the new cable. You may have to rotate the front wheel when you reinstall, to get the tab lined up with the slot.

Last edited by Rich82GS750TZ; 01-12-2022, 08:11 PM.
                            Rich
                            1982 GS 750TZ
                            2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

Comment

i know exactly what im looking at now, will have to certainly make sure i dont leave anything untouched now.
                              Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
                              1982 XS650

Comment

Working...
                              X