Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

'82 GS650 - E vs. G Head - not what you're thinking...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

'82 GS650 - E vs. G Head - not what you're thinking...

Hey all,

I have 1982 650E that I am rebuilding. Last winter I bought a replacement head and long story short, I ended up with a 1982 650 G head instead. I tried the swap and found out the mistake when the cams wouldn't fit, so I put everything back together and did what I could with what I had. I've continued to look for a proper 650E head and they have been hard to come by, so before I pull everything apart again I'm thinking about options:

1.) I know the G cams won't fit with the E motor, but for the life of me I can't remember if the E and G heads were identical? - i.e. Could I use the G head with the E cams?

2.) If I can't replace the head, how difficult is it to have two stripped cam journal holder bolt holes fixed? Currently they are helicoiled (stupid, I know....), would a proper repair be filling the holes with weld and re-tapping? or tapping the existing hole larger and enlarging the hole in the journal hole to accept a larger screw?

Thoughts?
    1982 GS650e - Cafe or Scrambler...that is the question...

The heads are the same, but as you found, the cams ARE different.

I have successfully installed an E head on a G.

Comment

Am I missing something here? If the heads are the same then shouldn't either cams fit??
      Current:
      Z1300A5 Locomotive (swapped my Intruder for it), GS450 Cafe Project (might never finish it....), XT500 Commuter (I know - it's a Yamaha )

Past:
      VL1500 Intruder (swapped for Z1300), ZX9R Streetfighter (lets face it - too fast....), 1984 GSX750EF, 1984 GSX1100EF (AKA GS1150)
      And a bunch of other crap Yamahas....

Comment

Cam sprockets are different, eh?
        Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Repairing the holes shouldn't be that difficult
          You stripped out the helicoils?
          Step one - buy a decent inch/pound torque wrench
          1978 GS 1000 (since new)
          1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
          1978 GS 1000 (parts)
          1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
          1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
          1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
          2007 DRz 400S
          1999 ATK 490ES
          1994 DR 350SES

Comment

A helicoil for the cam cap bolts is a good solution.
            Cheap to fix, if that is all that's wrong with the original head I would say go for that option.
            Mixing cam caps and or cams can cause cam
            stick issues, use plastigage to check for proper play.
            Rijk

Top 10 Newbie Mistakes thread

CV Carb rebuild tutorial
            VM Carb rebuild tutorial
            Bikecliff's website
            The Stator Papers

"The thing about freedom - it's never free"

Comment

Surprised to learn, just lately, the "E" has a roller bearing crankshaft & the "G" has a plain bearing crankshaft, I realize that is the bottom end, but if that main part of the eng. is totally different, a lot more may be different also.
              1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

When in doubt, look up the part numbers and compare between models. I did just that and proved that the E and G heads are the same. Camshafts are the same. Camshaft sprockets are different. The sprockets need to stay with the base engine, because the cam chain is different between the models.
                Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
                  The sprockets need to stay with the base engine, because the cam chain is different between the models.
                  If the chain is different, it is because one might be a couple of links shorter.

I forget which was which, but I seem to remember that one of the sprockets had 30 teeth, the other had 32. I found that because I had used the 'other' cam because the lobes looked better. While rotating the crank BY HAND for the required two full turns, the engine stopped SOLID after about 1 1/2 turns. Took the cam out, reset it, tensioned it, all that 'stuff', it locked up again. After the third time of ensuring it was installed correctly, I realized the sprocket looked a bit smaller, so I counted teeth and noticed the difference.

Typing out that last part made me realize: the G has the sprockets with more teeth than the E sprockets.

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
                    When in doubt, look up the part numbers and compare between models. I did just that and proved that the E and G heads are the same. Camshafts are the same. Camshaft sprockets are different. The sprockets need to stay with the base engine, because the cam chain is different between the models.
                    Thanks for verifying. When I compared the E and G camshaft side by side they looked to be the same size, but the E shaft was stamped R6, and the G shafts were stamped R4 near the sprockets.

Originally posted by Big T View Post
                    Repairing the holes shouldn't be that difficult
                    You stripped out the helicoils?
                    Step one - buy a decent inch/pound torque wrench
                    No, I fixed a couple stripped holes with helicoils but with the amount of constant pressure and vibration applied to the cam journals I'm worried that they may fail.
                    I bought a decent torque wrench, but these holes were damaged trying to remove a couple stripped bolts.

Originally posted by phydeauxmutt View Post
                    If the chain is different, it is because one might be a couple of links shorter.
                    I forget which was which, but I seem to remember that one of the sprockets had 30 teeth, the other had 32. I found that because I had used the 'other' cam because the lobes looked better. While rotating the crank BY HAND for the required two full turns, the engine stopped SOLID after about 1 1/2 turns. Took the cam out, reset it, tensioned it, all that 'stuff', it locked up again. After the third time of ensuring it was installed correctly, I realized the sprocket looked a bit smaller, so I counted teeth and noticed the difference.

Typing out that last part made me realize: the G has the sprockets with more teeth than the E sprockets.
                    The "driving" (heh) factor is the G being shaft drive and the E being chain. As Ness said earlier, the sprockets match up with the bottom end.
                    The E cam sprockets are stamped 470 and and a smaller than the G sprockets which are stamped 342
                    1982 GS650e - Cafe or Scrambler...that is the question...

Comment

Working...
                    X