2 years - RIP Sportster

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2 years - RIP Sportster

Tomorrow will be two years since I took my last motorcycle ride. It was also the last hurrah of my Sportster. Warning: one of these images is very graphic, and may not be suitable for all. Viewer discretion is advised.

Before:

image by Bob Wayne, on Flickr

After:

url=https://flic.kr/p/2mQYZAn][/url]image(2) by Bob Wayne, on Flickr
    1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Sorry for your loss... I know you loved that bike. 🙁
    My Motorcycles:
    22 Kawasaki Z900 RS (Candy Tone Blue)
    22 BMW K1600GT (Probably been to a town near you)
    82 1100e Drag Bike (needs race engine)
    81 1100e Street Bike (with race engine)
    79 1000e (all original)
    82 850g (all original)
    80 KZ 650F (needs restored)

Comment

Still love mine every day. Doing a few more mods this week.
      "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
      ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
      1982 CB900f

Comment

Originally posted by GS1150Pilot View Post
        Still love mine every day. Doing a few more mods this week.
        Would love to hear (and see) the details. Have you upgraded the exhaust and intake? One of the reasons I didn't take Harley up on their offer to upsize when new (and still be under warranty) was that the color of the larger cylinders was darker than stock. I also wanted to keep the exact look of the air cleaner and pipes, and just have them gutted for better flow.

A Harley owner who wanted to keep the look totally stock (except that fugly 'solo' seat). They looked at me like I was from a different planet.
        1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Fork brace and crash bars would have saved it but yah went with peer pressure.
          1983 GS 550 LD
          2009 BMW K1300s

Comment

Originally posted by Cipher View Post
            What?!?!.........

Comment

Originally posted by Rob S. View Post
              Would love to hear (and see) the details. Have you upgraded the exhaust and intake? One of the reasons I didn't take Harley up on their offer to upsize when new (and still be under warranty) was that the color of the larger cylinders was darker than stock. I also wanted to keep the exact look of the air cleaner and pipes, and just have them gutted for better flow.

A Harley owner who wanted to keep the look totally stock (except that fugly 'solo' seat). They looked at me like I was from a different planet.
              Rob,

Mine's a 1200 now, with cams, exhaust, intake, a Power Vision tuner, so yeah, I've done those things. The heads will be ported this summer.

This week I am finally getting around to replacing the big chrome rear turn signals with smaller versions by Arlen Ness. Funny that Cipher mentions a fork brace, because I bought myself a SuperBrace for Christmas, and that, along with fork boots, will also be going on.

Unlike you, I love the look of a modified Sportster, and mine is pretty modified over stock. LED lights, lay-down license place bracket, Mustang saddle, sissybar, Cobra 909 exhaust, Ness Big Sucker intake, Feuling Reaper cams, Dynojet PowerVision tuner, forward controls, Progressive shocks and monotube fork system, Biltwell handlebars, Ness mirrors, Piranha flyscreen, braided brake lines, probably other things I'm forgetting.
              ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
              1982 CB900f

Comment

I don't know much about harleys but I'm surprised there is only one disc in front. Wazzup with that?
                2002 bmw r1150gs 1978 gs1000E skunk les pew 1979 gs1000L dragbike
                82 gs1100L probably the next project
                1980 gs1000G the ugly 1978 gs750E need any parts?
                https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=m_m2oYJkx1A
                1978 gs1000E skunk #2 RLAP

Comment

Originally posted by Eli69 View Post
                  I don't know much about harleys but I'm surprised there is only one disc in front. Wazzup with that?
                  My '78 had dual discs....Hmmmm

Bob T. ~~ Play the GSR weekly photo game: Pic of Week Game
                  '83 GS1100E ~ '24 Triumph Speed 400 ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '67 HONDA CUB

Comment

I was curious, too, and did an on-line specifications check. It said they come with single discs front and rear.
                    "If you scare people enough, they will demand removal of freedom. This is the path to tyranny."
                    Elon Musk Jan, 2022

Comment

Dual disks are for wussies!
                      No signature

Comment

Originally posted by trevor View Post
                        Dual disks are for wussies!
                        I don't know about that... Anyone that can tour on a 78 Harley, two up, with camping gear is NO wussy in my book! 😯
                        My Motorcycles:
                        22 Kawasaki Z900 RS (Candy Tone Blue)
                        22 BMW K1600GT (Probably been to a town near you)
                        82 1100e Drag Bike (needs race engine)
                        81 1100e Street Bike (with race engine)
                        79 1000e (all original)
                        82 850g (all original)
                        80 KZ 650F (needs restored)

Comment

So did these:

Not sure about all Sportster riders, but the brakes on mine haul it down from any speed pretty well. Not sportbike fast, but then I seldom ride this bike above 95-100.
                          ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
                          1982 CB900f

Comment

Single front is fine though tends to flex fork under heavy breaking.
                            Reduces unsprung weight. Reduces gyroscopic inertia.

Just the same as drums are fine for rears on pickup trucks but manus put em on as a selling point.
                            1983 GS 550 LD
                            2009 BMW K1300s

Comment

Originally posted by Cipher View Post
                              That's exactly correct! I had a fork brace and crash bars, but the group I ride with called me a pussy and a wimp. I couldn't take it.

Sayonara, Cipher.
                              Last edited by Rob S.; 01-11-2022, 07:31 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X