Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Rob S. View Post

image by Bob Wayne, on Flickr
    Sure, any excuse to look at my dream bike again. Drum up front, drum in the rear.

And Trevor, Henry Winkler was posed with a Harley in some early scenes, they even pushed it in with him sitting on it. For all future scenes (and a clip in the opening sequence where he's actually riding) it was a vertical twin, perhaps a BSA 650.
    Last edited by Rob S.; 01-14-2022, 06:08 AM.
    1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Originally posted by GS1150Pilot View Post
      With you, it can be hard to separate sarcasm from mere pith. In reality, I doubt that statement. As a metaphor, that statement is doubtful.
      I'm not quite old enough to be "Walt Kowalski" from the film Gran Torino but could be his grand son. Certain family secrets are better left kept.

1980 Yamaha XS1100G (Current bike)
      1982 GS450txz (former bike)
      LONG list of previous bikes not listed here.

These aren't my words, I just arrange them

Comment

Sure, any excuse to look at my dream bike again. Drun up front, drum in the rear.

And Trevor, Henry Winkler was posed with a Harley in some early scenes, they even pushed it in with him sitting on it. For all future scenes (and a clip in the opening sequence where he's actually riding) it was a vertical twin, perhaps a BSA 650.
        It was a Triumph TR5.
        "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
        ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
        1982 CB900f

Comment

Sure, any excuse to look at my dream bike again. Drun up front, drum in the rear.

Your dream bike is an AMF Sportster?
          ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
          1982 CB900f

Comment

Originally posted by GS1150Pilot View Post
            Your dream bike is an AMF Sportster?
            Sounds more like a nightmare! Lol...sorry...low hanging fruit, for sure,
            No signature

Comment

The AMF thing was way overrated. Most were fine, some weren't. It was assembly issues, not design issues.
              My '78 was an AMF bike, and it was solid.
              Bob T. ~~ Play the GSR weekly photo game: Pic of Week Game
              '83 GS1100E ~ '24 Triumph Speed 400 ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '67 HONDA CUB

Comment

Originally posted by Baatfam View Post
                The AMF thing was way overrated. Most were fine, some weren't. It was assembly issues, not design issues.
                Ironheads were never known as the most reliable Harley motor, and are certainly one of the more maintenance intensive. The newer ones are prettier and do everything better while retaining the elemental nature of the Sportster. I just think that, if one needs a dream bike from that time period, there are better choices than the plain jane AMF Sportster, like a Ducati Dharma or a Laverda Jota, and for Harley, the XLCR 1000.
                ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
                1982 CB900f

Comment

Sure, any excuse to look at my dream bike again. Drum up front, drum in the rear.

Henry Winkler could not ride a motorcycle at all, never learned. The one time he tried, he attempted to go five feet and stop in front of the camera. He gunned it, lost control, slid the bike under the camera dolly and almost ran over the producer. That was the end of that.
                  All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

Rob S.; Tomorrow will be two years since I took my last motorcycle ride. It was also the last hurrah of my Sportster. Warning: one of these images is very graphic, and may not be suitable for all. Viewer discretion is advised

So why haven't you ridden in two years?

Comment

Originally posted by nejeff View Post
                      (...)
                      Methinks he's still recovering?
                      #1: 1979 GS 550 EC "Red" – Very first Bike / Overhaul thread        New here? ☛ Read the Top 10 Newbie mistakes thread
                      #2: 1978 GS 550 EC "Blue" – Can't make it a donor / "Rebuild" thread     Manuals (and much more): See Cliff's homepage here
                      #3: 2014 Moto Guzzi V7 II Racer – One needs a runner while wrenching
                      #4: 1980 Moto Guzzi V65C – Something to chill

Comment

Originally posted by nejeff View Post
                        Both my hips were broken (one dislocated) as well as numerous other injuries, but it's the nerve damage that grounded me ('foot drop').
                        1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

I like the way Sportsers look, they're too small for me though and a bit slow. I do regret not buying my friend's absolutely mint XR1000 (with the dual carbs and cool exhaust) 35 years ago though.
                          1986 1150EF
                          2008 GS1250SEA

Comment

Originally posted by roeme View Post
                            Methinks he's still recovering?
                            Rob could be a bit of a menace to himself and others on a bike, so it may be good to have a few years off.
                            ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
                            1982 CB900f

Comment

Originally posted by Baatfam View Post
                              My 1974 74" was a complete piece of crap, my 1983 Lowrider bought right off the showroom floor was an even bigger piece of crap! The word coming off the factory floor was that the employees where tired of churning out mediocre garbage and with lagging sales due to mediocrity people where in constant worry as to whether or not they'd have a job from day to day compounding the problems. Ran into "Fuzzy" Gildner who was (and still is) the owner of the H-D dealer I bought my bike from and he said "I might be in my 80's but I wouldn't blame you one bit for wanting to beat my a$$"
                              1980 Yamaha XS1100G (Current bike)
                              1982 GS450txz (former bike)
                              LONG list of previous bikes not listed here.

These aren't my words, I just arrange them

Comment

I remember as a kid being in awe of HD's as it was the late 60's, brother had a Triumph but wanted a HD. I remember how huge they seemed, well the '74' at least was a monster to me. Now he has a couple, and when I visited I rode his 883 around the 'quiet corner' of Connecticut. I felt like an orangutan on the bike, and with my son riding pillion it was pretty pokey, but fun anyway. Brother even had a spare doo rag for me to wear. TBH I felt more dorky than usual on that thing.

Originally posted by Big Block View Post
                                I like the way Sportsers look, they're too small for me though and a bit slow. I do regret not buying my friend's absolutely mint XR1000 (with the dual carbs and cool exhaust) 35 years ago though.
                                Tom

'82 GS1100E Mr. Turbo
                                '79 GS100E
                                Other non Suzuki bikes

Comment

Working...
                                X