2 years - RIP Sportster

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Rob S. View Post
    That exactly correct! I had a fork brace and crash bars, but the group I ride with called me a pussy and a wimp. I couldn't take it.

Sayonara, Cipher.
    Its like that mongol kid in that Chekov stroy that fel in love with a hot chick he captured got made fun of by the other guys then threw here into a river to assert his manliness.
    1983 GS 550 LD
    2009 BMW K1300s

Comment

Originally posted by storm 64 View Post
      I don't know about that... Anyone that can tour on a 78 Harley, two up, with camping gear is NO wussy in my book! 
      Lol...I am joking of course....40 year old Japanese bikes can tour two up pretty good too imo...

No signature

Comment

Originally Posted by Rob S.
        That exactly correct! I had a fork brace and crash bars, but the group I ride with called me a pussy and a wimp. I couldn't take it.

Sayonara, Cipher.
        Originally posted by Cipher View Post
        Its like that mongol kid in that Chekov stroy that fel in love with a hot chick he captured got made fun of by the other guys then threw here into a river to assert his manliness.

that was a very nice comparison....
        "If you scare people enough, they will demand removal of freedom. This is the path to tyranny."
        Elon Musk Jan, 2022

Comment

Originally posted by trevor View Post
          ...40 year old Japanese bikes can tour two up pretty good too imo...
          People used to think they needed a fairing, hard saddlebags and a trunk to go touring on their motorcycles. And then? Then Came Bronson.

I've read today that Bronson's Sportster was a '69, and elsewhere (both online) that it was a '68. We know that it was a '900' (883 cc) with four speeds and right side shift, but do we know for certain what model year it was (the show debuted in Sept. of '69)?

What about electric start?

BTW, this is how a motorcycle is supposed to look:

image by Bob Wayne, on Flickr

Of primary importance is the exhaust and the air cleaner cover. My 2016 'Superlow' was the only Sportster that came with similar parts. And look at that seat! The $300+ that I spent to upgrade my seat was well worth it.
          1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Dual disks are for wussies!
            Dual drums rule! (See photo below ).
            1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Having owned three different H-D's I can honestly say that they don't need dual disks up front since the friction of the riders knuckles dragging is plenty enough to bring them to a stop.
              1980 Yamaha XS1100G (Current bike)
              1982 GS450txz (former bike)
              LONG list of previous bikes not listed here.

These aren't my words, I just arrange them

Comment

People used to think they needed a fairing, hard saddlebags and a trunk to go touring on their motorcycles. And then? Then Came Bronson.

I've read today that Bronson's Sportster was a '69, and elsewhere (both online) that it was a '68. We know that it was a '900' (883 cc) with four speeds and right side shift, but do we know for certain what model year it was (the show debuted in Sept. of '69)?

What about electric start?

BTW, this is how a motorcycle is supposed to look:

image by Bob Wayne, on Flickr

Of primary importance is the exhaust and the air cleaner cover. My 2016 'Superlow' was the only Sportster that came with similar parts. And look at that seat! The $300+ that I spent to upgrade my seat was well worth it.
                Is that Fonzie's bike?
                No signature

Comment

Is that Fonzie's bike?
                  He wishes! 1972 Sportster, first year they upsized to 1000cc. From an ad in the Nov. '71 Cycle World:

"The one machine that straightens it all out. On the road, at the strip...or in your mind."

Comment

DA0BC644-6329-4ADA-B9F0-B3BAD27E5E6D.jpg
                    I don't think there is a prescriptive formula for "how a motorcycle should look." They are canvases, to be customized as the owner desires. This one is mine, and I continue to enjoy riding it more than any bike I've owned in at least 25 years.
                    "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
                    ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
                    1982 CB900f

Comment

Originally posted by GS1150Pilot View Post
                      [ATTACH=CONFIG]63778[/ATTACH]
                      I don't think there is a prescriptive formula for "how a motorcycle should look." They are canvases, to be customized as the owner desires. This one is mine, and I continue to enjoy riding it more than any bike I've owned in at least 25 years.
                      New age, linguistics term misappropriating bollocks.
                      1983 GS 550 LD
                      2009 BMW K1300s

Comment

He wishes! 1972 Sportster, first year they upsized to 1000cc. From an ad in the Nov. '71 Cycle World:

"The one machine that straightens it all out. On the road, at the strip...or in your mind."
                        Lol
                        No signature

Comment

Originally posted by GS1150Pilot View Post
                          [ATTACH=CONFIG]63778[/ATTACH]
                          Before the H-D scene became the rolling fashion show that it is today talk like that would have earned you an involuntary increase in the diameter of your anus!
                          1980 Yamaha XS1100G (Current bike)
                          1982 GS450txz (former bike)
                          LONG list of previous bikes not listed here.

These aren't my words, I just arrange them

Comment

Originally posted by LAB3 View Post
                            Before the H-D scene became the rolling fashion show that it is today talk like that would have earned you an involuntary increase in the diameter of your anus!
                            With you, it can be hard to separate sarcasm from mere pith. In reality, I doubt that statement. As a metaphor, that statement is doubtful.
                            "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
                            ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
                            1982 CB900f

Comment

Originally posted by LAB3 View Post
                              The state of the roads does that in time, anyway.
                              ---- Dave
                              79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
                              80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
                              79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
                              92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Dual drums rule! (See photo below ).
                                What "photo below"???

And, since all the replies happen "below", how do you know what's coming?

Oh, sorry, you probably still have the forum set to defaults, just like your Hardly.

Comment

Working...
                                X