Genetic modification: pig heart to-human

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Genetic modification: pig heart to-human

A pig's heart has just been implanted / installed in a human and, while the time frame is still short, the man has survived three days, saying this procedure was his only chance at life.

One doctor surmises that the genetic markers that would normally cause the human body to reject "parts" from a foreign species were removed from the Genetically-modified pig.

"If you scare people enough, they will demand removal of freedom. This is the path to tyranny."
    Elon Musk Jan, 2022

It will be interesting to see where medical research goes in this.
    All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

I hope they kept the bacon.
      ---- Dave
      79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
      80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
      79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
      92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

As pigs only live 15-20 years I imagine a young patient would need 3 or 4 transplants in a lifetime. But anything that offers even 10 yrs of life vs death in a few days it seems like a good deal.
        1979 CBX, AW440 Maico, GS1150EF

Comment

Beat carrying the Jarvik contraption
          Cue the religious types about casting devils into pigs
          1983 GS 550 LD
          2009 BMW K1300s

Comment

Thanks for sharing this! IT's quite incredible! CRISPER I'm sure is to lay thanks for the genetic editing.
            Jedz Moto
            1980 Suzuki GS1000G
            1988 Honda GL1500-6
            2018 Triumph Bonneville T120-
            2020 Honda Monkey Z125
            2001 Honda Insight - 65MPG
            Originally posted by Hayabuser
            Cool is defined differently by different people... I'm sure the new rider down the block thinks his Ninja 250 is cool and why shouldn't he? Bikes are just cool.

Comment

We are clever Monkeys. I recall the first ever heart transplant in South Africa by a guy called Christiaan Barnard.
              I renewed my drivers license today and made sure the organ donor box was checked.
              Reminds me of the bacon and eggs story. The chicken was involved in the project, the pig was committed.
              97 R1100R
              Previous
              80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

I became aware of this technology last month listening to an episode of a program named Radio Lab on NPR. In very entertaining fashion it drew the connection between that genetically modified pig and people who suddenly and without warning develop a severe allergy to red meat after having eaten it all their lives. Hint: Alpha Gal.

it was one of the most interesting radio shows I have heard ever. After I got home I sat in the driveway and listened until it was over before going into the house.

It is an hour long so you probably want to play it background while doing something else. The first four minutes are strictly promo and banter--you can you start at the 4:00 mark.

(Fourth one down--Return of Alpha Gal)

Radiolab is on a curiosity bender. We ask deep questions and use investigative journalism to get the answers. A given episode might whirl you through science, legal history, and into the home of someone halfway across the world. The show is known for innovative sound design, smashing information into music. It is hosted by Lulu Miller, and Latif Nasser.

Believe in truth. To abandon fact is to abandon freedom.

Nature bats last.

80 GS850G / 2010 Yamaha Majesty / 81 GS850G

Claimed by Hurricane Irma 9/11/2017:
                80 GS850G / 2005 Yamaha Majesty / 83 GS1100E / 2000 BMW R1100RT / 2014 Suzuki DL650

Comment

Originally posted by Grimly View Post

They did, but they didn't separate it. One day you may be surprised to find yourself talking to a BLT. lol

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

Originally posted by Cipher View Post
                    Beat carrying the Jarvik contraption
                    Cue the religious types about casting devils into pigs
                    Caution, this procedure may not be welcomed in middle eastern countries. lol

Comment

Originally posted by Grimly View Post
                      Yes, kind of. That very topic is part of the podcast I linked above. But it isn't for everyone.
                      Believe in truth. To abandon fact is to abandon freedom.

Nature bats last.

80 GS850G / 2010 Yamaha Majesty / 81 GS850G

Claimed by Hurricane Irma 9/11/2017:
                      80 GS850G / 2005 Yamaha Majesty / 83 GS1100E / 2000 BMW R1100RT / 2014 Suzuki DL650

Comment

They have been using pig heart valves in humans for a while. They don't last near as long a human heart valves. The immune suppressants for a different species is huge. I remember about 15 years back they transplanted a baboon heart into a human, that didn't go well.
                        1981 GS1100E
                        1982 GS1100E

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." Aristotle

Comment

My aortic valve is bovine. I had a choice between mechanical, or bovine. Took the cow.
                          Bob T. ~~ Play the GSR weekly photo game: Pic of Week Game
                          '83 GS1100E ~ '24 Triumph Speed 400 ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '67 HONDA CUB

Comment

Originally posted by Baatfam View Post
                            My aortic valve is bovine. I had a choice between mechanical, or bovine. Took the cow.
                            I see an OEM vs aftermarket discussion shaping up
                            97 R1100R
                            Previous
                            80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

My body would probably adapt to the Pig Hart pretty easy... We have the same diet and lifestyle! Haha 😅😅
                              My Motorcycles:
                              22 Kawasaki Z900 RS (Candy Tone Blue)
                              22 BMW K1600GT (Probably been to a town near you)
                              82 1100e Drag Bike (needs race engine)
                              81 1100e Street Bike (with race engine)
                              79 1000e (all original)
                              82 850g (all original)
                              80 KZ 650F (needs restored)

Comment

Working...
                              X